Mac OS 9.2 Virtual Machine manager not booting in to cdrom

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

eawo2k4
Student Driver

Mac OS 9.2 Virtual Machine manager not booting in to cdrom

Post by eawo2k4 »

I keep getting halted and VMM(Virtual Machine Manager) it won't boot up the cdrom and its set to SCSI, can't do ide of course, looking through I can't figure out why it won't boot into it, I'm running Fedora :sad:
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mac OS 9.2 Virtual Machine manager not booting in to cdrom

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

We would need some additional info to understand your issue.
What are you trying to boot with which virtual machine manager? How come you think you need something set to use a scsi interface? Qemu-system-ppc runs Mac OS using ide interfaces.

Have you tried using our guide? It is mostly applicable to running in Linux too.
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Best,
Cat_7
eawo2k4
Student Driver

Post by eawo2k4 »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 am Hi,

What are you trying to boot with which virtual machine manager? How come you think you need something set to use a scsi interface? Qemu-system-ppc runs Mac OS using ide interfaces.

Have you tried using our guide? It is mostly applicable to running in Linux too.

Best,
Cat_7
Apparently VMM keeps saying that PPC can't use IDE drives, I can try follow you're guys guide and see that helps, not sure what's going on with VMM but maybe doing the other way might help
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

eawo2k4 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 am
Cat_7 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 am Hi,

Best,
Cat_7
Apparently VMM keeps saying that PPC can't use IDE drives, I can try follow you're guys guide and see that helps, not sure what's going on with VMM but maybe doing the other way might help
You'll need to tell us what you're doing instead of what the results are.

What you need to do is use qemu-ppc with the correct machine flags to emulate a G4 Mac. The OS X guide should be compatible once you've got qemu-ppc or qemu-system-ppc installed.

Are you by chance trying to run qemu-ppc with kvm as a VM? That won't work unless your host system is a PowerPC system itself. You need to emulate the entire system, not just virtualize an environment to run native code in.