Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About QEMU, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

peter_j
Tinkerer

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by peter_j »

Some comments and questions.

I last ran Qemu about 5 years ago and recently decided to see how it is going. What a difference! It is now quite usable and the improvement in graphics is stunning.

1. Firstly, thank you for the excellent guides and for providing updated executables. I would be nowhere without them.

2. Question - how many drives can you specify, ie: how many drives can Qemu support in one go?

3. A bizarre situation. I set up Qemu in one folder ( say Folder A ), copied my disk images across and got Cheetah, Puma ,Jaguar, Panther, Tiger all running. Then I again ran Cheetah and Puma, and both would not run this time, going through the whole boot and ending on 'Startup complete' but never switching over to the Mac graphical display. I tried different parameters, older Qemu binaries, no luck. All the time Jaguar, Panther, Tiger all running fine.
The saga continues...
So I set up a new Qemu folder ( say Folder B ), copied the Cheetah and Puma hard drive images from Folder A and both run fine. I then copied Jaguar, Panther, Tiger disk images, and 9.22, to Folder B and they all run fine.
The .bat files in both folders is the same.
So - is there some kind of p-ram that Qemu keeps and that one needs to 'zap' like the old days? Or registry entries? :?:

4. I want to try Leopard ( which I have running well under Virtualbox ). I have downloaded 2 different .iso files but Qemu cannot find boot info on either. Any suggestions for somewhere to look for a working .iso? ( I did try to get Qemu to boot the Virtualbox .vdi to no avail in case you were thinking of suggesting it ).

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

1. Thanks!

2. Up to four. Qemu emulates two ide interfaces each supporting two drives.

3. What I can think of is this: when you change from -mac99 to -mac99,via=pmu and vv it takes a long time for the client to adapt from using adb mouse/keyboard to usb mouse and keyboard. Perhaps you didn't wait long enough? Also, see our guide about these command line arguments.

4. Finding a correct leopard dvd can be tricky. There are some recent posts about it that will give you a hint.

best,
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you very much for the prompt answer.

Thanks for the info on the drives - that helps.

I have found a couple more Leopards and will try them.

The funnies started on changing to/from pmu, so you are helping me down the right track. What I do not understand ( even with your guide ) is how the emulated machine is aware of the option. I see on your m68k page there will be a p-ram. Trying Cheetah again, if I use pmu or pmu-adb I get the guest has not initialized the display. Changing to cuda and it boots to Startup Complete, then screen blanks and there is cursor-size white square at to left, wait 5 minutes, nothing more. I get the feeling I am a bit stupid. Sorry for that. At least it works in the other folder, where all machines are cuda.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The options are explained in the guide:

mac99,via=pmu (this option supports usb mouse and keyboard)
mac99,via=pmu-adb (this allows some older Mac OS/Mac OS server builds to use a keyboard and mouse through the adb bus)
mac99,via=cuda (this is the default setting, allowing the use of the older, now less supported cuda)

So if you use mac99 that means you are using the last option. The setting indicates what hardware is available to the guest:
the pmu is a particular power management unit as is the cuda. Some mac OS (X) guests cannot work with both.
But if you switch the guest has to find/enable the other pmu and/or bus to which the peripherals are attached.
There is no separate pram file needed/available for qemu-sytem-ppc. Some parameters are saved, but I don't know where ;-)

The table on the this page: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx
tells you which guests should be run with mac99 (so use mac99,via=cuda)

Perhaps you can share your command line for booting Cheetah? It boots fine here.

Best
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

I really appreciate your interest.

This batch file runs fine in one folder, not the other (directories adjusted, files copied)!!

Code: Select all

G:
cd "G:\Qemu_New\"
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,via=cuda -m 512 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -device VGA,edid=on -g 1440x900x32 -drive "file=G:\Qemu_New\Cheetah_3GB.img,media=disk,format=raw" -drive "file=G:\Qemu_New\Q_Share_3_GB.img,media=disk,format=raw" -device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01 -sdl 
Not serious, as I do have it running, and really enjoying getting things going. Leopard finally going in - 5 hours 35 minutes to go. Ooops - 6 hours and 9 minutes now. :wink:

Looking forward to m68k!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Your command line works OK over here.
Did you try with only one, or three disks? I seem to vaguely remember that one of the big cats had problems with exactly 2 drives.

Best,
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Maybe that is the issue. I'll try that ( when Leopard has had its 5 hours and 50 minutes! ).
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Final Leopard success on attempt no 3. The first two failed as the installer could not make the install volume (new clean drive images, different sizes) the startup volume, and of course they would not boot. So I copied my Tiger drive image and installed onto there. Still, the installer said 'Fail', yet it does boot. The emulation runs a bit slowly compared to other systems, but there it is - maybe of interest to any others installing Leopard.

Edit.
And about the 'Startup Complete' problem, I deleted all the Qemu files ( .dlls, BIOS folder, executable ) and re-unzipped a clean copy and now it runs. Must have been some disk hiccup.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Is it possible to run that Snow Leopard PPC beta under Qemu? I tried, but I get a kernel panic after a while during boot. (To be expected I suppose!)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I tried some time ago but it was a no-no.
That doesn't mean too much, because my knowledge of all the possible command line options for Qemu is limited.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

peter_j wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:34 am Is it possible to run that Snow Leopard PPC beta under Qemu? I tried, but I get a kernel panic after a while during boot. (To be expected I suppose!)
The two hacked beta builds will still only run on specific hardware; QEMU doesn't emulate those specific hardware sets, and so fails with a kernel panic.

There's continual hacking going on though, with some kernel files in the beta being replaced with Leopard kernel files. The other route is to present more virtual hardware within EFI before booting the betas; depending on what caused the panic, a bit of EFI programming may be all that's needed.

It might be worth starting a thread on MacRumours regarding getting the hacked betas working with QEMU. Personally, I just run it on actual PPC hardware (it works on a G4 Mini) and have never attempted QEMU.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you both for your responses.
psh
Student Driver

Post by psh »

How do i getting online on QEMU? (i use Mac OS X 10.1.5 fyi)