Shared folders with broken IE?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

swordlink1
Tinkerer

Shared folders with broken IE?

Post by swordlink1 »

I want to use shared folders with QEMU, however when I go into Internet Explorer, go on Google, and then try to search up Macintosh Repository, the app quits and I get a error. When I go to the URL in the address bar, it quits and a error. The download in Macintosh Repository requires me to have a shared folder so I can transfer it. I'm running Mac OS X 10.0.0 Build 4K78 downloaded from WinWorldPC on Qemu-Win64-4.1-09-06-2019 on Windows 10 1903.

Do I have classic? I installed Mac OS 9.2.2 (ISO, bad?) from WinWorldPC. I first installed Mac OS 9.2.1, updated it to 9.2.2 without restarting to boot to the hard drive, then I boot to the hard drive, and Mac OS X 10.0.0 Build 4K78.
I know this is unrelated to the question, but is the guest slow because of Aqua? Indeed. Aqua interface is making it slow.
It quits when it tries to get the HTML document.

If you need more info, tell me ;)
swordlink1
Tinkerer

About more info

Post by swordlink1 »

I will only give out more info if you tell me to.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Shared folders with broken IE?

Post by Cat_7 »

What exactly is your question?

Qemu does not do shared folders like SheepShaver or Basilisk. And Internet explorer was and still is buggy. Did you try both? The one in 9.2.2 and the one in 10.0?

Best,
Cat_7
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

I didn't try both. I played around with 9.2.2 a bit, then upgraded to 10.0.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

He's asking if you tried both versions of IE: the one that comes with 9.2.2 and the one that comes with OS X 10.0.

But in reality, using IE is the problem; it's not going to work on most modern websites (including MR). Macintosh Garden has been designed to work on older web browsers, but even that crashes for me sometimes on IE.

You'll probably have better luck writing stuff to a folder on the host, and creating a CD image from that folder, and mounting that in QEMU to get the files. The Shared DOS folder doesn't know about resource forks. the virtual SMB share might work, but you still shouldn't be directly reading from or writing to it via old buggy software like IE: write to the disk image and use the Finder to copy things over.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

I know this thread is a year old, but it's worth noting that for ANY 68K and PowerPC Mac at this point, I recommend that files be transferred via FTP (in plain text mode, no encryption) instead of downloaded using a 20-25 years old web browser. Most retro sites like MR and MG usually provide FTP credentials so you can download directly on your old Mac without the help of a modern computer or even a web browser (no Internet Explorer!). If under a PowerPC Mac, it's also best to use Classilla as a web browser compared to Internet Explorer, since Classilla can still load MR and MG websites 100% fine.