QEMU doesn't show HDD's in Macos 10.1

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

peteseta
Space Cadet

QEMU doesn't show HDD's in Macos 10.1

Post by peteseta »

I'm trying to install MacOS 10.1, downloaded from winworld. It is the archive version. When I open the installer and it searches for disks, it doesn't recognize the img I created. It only recognizes the install CD. I followed instructions from the emaculation guide.

My qemu.command is:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=cuda -m 1024 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=10.1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=DISK_1.img,format=raw,media=disk -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: QEMU doesn't show HDD's in Macos 10.1

Post by Cat_7 »

qemu.command seems OK.

Did you start the Disk Utility to first partition and format the disk before continuing the installation?

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This is the expected behaviour; you need to launch Disk Utility from within the installer and partition your DMG with an HFS+ partition. Then quit Disk Utility and select the now-visible partition as your install target.
peteseta
Space Cadet

Post by peteseta »

How do I launch Disk Utility? I don't seem to see a utilities tab like in the current versions os macos recovery.
Cat_7 wrote:qemu.command seems OK.

Did you start the Disk Utility to first partition and format the disk before continuing the installation?

Cat_7
adespoton wrote:This is the expected behaviour; you need to launch Disk Utility from within the installer and partition your DMG with an HFS+ partition. Then quit Disk Utility and select the now-visible partition as your install target.
peteseta
Space Cadet

Post by peteseta »

When I open disk utility, all I see is "Select a button first!" There is a Mac HDD icon and a blank white icon on the left. Nothing happens when I click on either of them.
sidoh
Tinkerer

Post by sidoh »

It looks like you downloaded one of the betas of 10.1, of which there are several leaked. Judging by your description of the broken Disk Utility, it seems that you have downloaded build 5D15, one of the earliest seeds IIRC. The GM's build number is 5G64, and it should also be on WinWorld. Good luck on your journey!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That explains it -- both 10.0 and some of the 10.1 betas did not have the ability to properly format the disk -- so you need to create a formatted disk image elsewhere prior to booting from the install image. The way I did this was by booting a 10.2 guest and creating a couple of blank formatted images with it for 10.1 and 10.0.
peteseta
Space Cadet

Post by peteseta »

This works fine with the GM build. Thanks for your help!