Installed OS9.2 but won't boot from disk

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Con_79
Space Cadet

Installed OS9.2 but won't boot from disk

Post by Con_79 »

I was able to run and install OS9 without any issues, but after I shutdown the emulation after installing the OS to install the hypercard program nothing happens. Prior to restarting the emulation I changed my qemu.bat file to boot from the HD, switched the .iso and .img files were switch so the .img (disk) was first, and directed the cdrom element to point to the hypercard iso. The batch file looks like this:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 ^
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file=install_hypercard.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-sdl ^
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
I initiate the .bat file in Windows command line and see this:

https://www.screencast.com/t/S0cMd0Pmd8l

Any help to figure out what I need to do is appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Installed OS9.2 but won't boot from disk

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

When using the ^ in a batch file to indicate that the command line continues on the next line, make sure there is no space behind the ^.
(My guess is that there is space behind the ^ after the cdrom entry, as you can see from the command continuing on the next line in screen shot.)

There seems nothing wrong with the command line itself, so to be sure put all commands on one continuous line (without the ^'s) and start Qemu.

You can then split the command line with ^ making sure there are no spaces behind the ^.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If that's not the problem, I've often had good luck using -cdrom instead of -drive for CDs. Sure, it's a deprecated way of doing things, but I've found there are fewer things that can go wrong with it.
Con_79
Space Cadet

Post by Con_79 »

I was able to get the OS 9 emulation to boot just fine (without an ISO included in the .bat file), but after I included the ISO I am seeing this message in the command line: https://www.screencast.com/t/e3fU2aDa.

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-boot c ^
-m 512 ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^
-sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
-device VGA,edid=on ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file=install_hypercard.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom
I searched the forum for this particular cmd line message so I included index=0 once and tried to run the program but got the same message and then changed it to readonly with the same result. Any of the suggestions? The forum post that is visited was here https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ge-in-qemu .

Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The error means that qemu can't find the bios. The bios should be in the folder pc-bios, which is referred to after the -L parameter.
So, do you have a pc-bios folder alongside qemu-system-ppc.exe in the qemu folder, and does it contain the file mentioned in the error? If so, you again have an issue with the command line. As mentioned earlier, try to put all commands on one line to exclude issues with the ^.

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99,via=pmu -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -device VGA,edid=on -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=install_hypercard.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

Best,
Cat_7