EXTRA.img not detected on 9.2 Boot Disk

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

captainmatt29
Student Driver

EXTRA.img not detected on 9.2 Boot Disk

Post by captainmatt29 »

Trying to install a fresh 9.2 in Qemu on Catalina and so far so good, it boots into the 9.2 disc image to install however cannot detect the EXTRA drive which I created using the command found on this forum.

My qemu.command is the following which boots the cd perfectly I just need to be able to see the drive to run the installer.

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu -m 256 \
-drive file=9.2.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom
-drive file=EXTRA.img,format=raw,media=disk
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: EXTRA.img not detected on 9.2 Boot Disk

Post by adespoton »

As stated in the identical thread created earlier in the week... did you format the disk as HFS+ yet? If not, it may not get detected.

See https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 34&t=10625 for details.
captainmatt29
Student Driver

Re: EXTRA.img not detected on 9.2 Boot Disk

Post by captainmatt29 »

I was able to get this working following the Qemu Wiki which advised to changed the command file for OS 9 to the following which worked fine and it now runs like I was using a physical machine of its era

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -hda <hd image file> -cdrom <iso file of installation media> \
-netdev user,id=mynet0 -device sungem,netdev=mynet0

I want to try and simulate an old Macintosh Manager network so will use their 10.1 command for that instance and see how it goes.