Mounting ISO causes MacOS 9.2 to Hang

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

xnemesis
Space Cadet

Mounting ISO causes MacOS 9.2 to Hang

Post by xnemesis »

Hi there

When I mount an ISO and boot in to MacOS 9.2(.1) with some ISOs it hangs. When I say hang, I get the loading cursor (?watch) on the desktop consistently and I can’t do anything other than move the cursor. No keyboard or click response. These ISOs that cause it to hang mount fine outside of QEMU so I'm assuming it's not an issue with the ISO. I'm wondering if it's size related (ISO of 2.4G hangs, 500MB does not)?

Code: Select all

./qemu-system-ppc -D logfile -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,via=cuda -m 768 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' \
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk \
-drive file=BAW.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 \
-device VGA,edid=on \
I've tried a few options with -drive to see if that helped but no change - index=1,readonly

I’m running this on a MacBook Air running OS Mojave.

Any thoughts? Is this a known issue? Is there a work around?

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mounting ISO causes MacOS 9.2 to Hang

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I don't know to which iso types/lenghts Qemu is restricted. It can read DVD iso's. An iso from an audio cd might not load, and perhaps mixed mode cd images might also not load.

You might try:
-mac99,via=pmu (for 9.2 guests). This disables the adb mouse and keyboard and enables the usb variants.

Long-shot: try -cdrom BAW.iso instead of -drive file=BAW.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \

Best,
Cat_7
xnemesis
Space Cadet

Post by xnemesis »

Hi Cat_7

It is a DVD iso but is of a game disk.

I've tried pmu, which interestingly works but wouldn't when booting from the OS install iso. Using that does produce the following error twice but it appears to not affect any functionality:
call-method get-key-map: exception -21
-cdrom didn't change anything either, unfortunately.

A couple of unsuccessful things I've tried since posting as well:
Increasing available memory
Upgraded to 9.2.2
Tried the 5.0 with screamer support experimental build

An interesting observation - the whole OS loads and boots. There is approximately a 2-3 second delay where I can click things, including opening the mounted cdrom drive in finder (which shows me the contents). After this delay, I get the persistent loading cursor icon (watch).

Not sure if any of this is helpful
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The call-method get-key-map: exception -21 messages always occur and are harmless.
I've tried pmu, which interestingly works but wouldn't when booting from the OS install iso.
All 9.2 CDs should be OK to boot and install from with via=pmu.

Is there a place where we could download the game iso?
Is it this one? https://macintoshgarden.org/games/black ... tinum-pack

I downloaded and combined the two files into a .toast image. Upon Qemu boot I'm greeted by the same cursor as you....
However, I also attached the iso to an installation of OSX 10.1, and there I could see the content of the iso. The installation failed due to some files missing. I read the readme, and it tells me the original game came on two CDs.

Anyway, you will most probably not be able to play the game. There is no graphics acceleration available in any of "our" emulators...

Best,
Cat_7