Disk not being read

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Disk not being read

Post by Needalotofhelp »

Hello, me again. I've gotten an issue with the installation process. When I head to the part of installation where you choose the disk/hard drive to install, nothing pops up. I've tried partitioning and erasing the drive, but I just get the exclamation point and "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this disk" message.

Also, once I get into the OS, I'm planning to use networking (Internet). The guide does say it's automatically activated by qemu-system-ppc.exe and if that doesn't work, I can always type in "-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01", but is there anything else I should know about using Slirp networking on QEMU as well as help on how to get the system to be able to read and install OS X Panther on the .img?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Disk not being read

Post by Cat_7 »

Sometimes you need a restart before the installer recognises the disk you partitioned.

Best,
Cat_7
Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Post by Needalotofhelp »

I've tried restarting (and by that I mean closing the QEMU window and reopening the program) with no avail.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I am at a loss. Did you try to use the image you already had available for PearPC or did you create a new one with the qemu-img program?
Anyway, after creating a new 10Gb image, I partitioned and formatted it using disk utility. I had to restart Qemu to get the installer to allow installation on it.

Here is a link to that 10Gb image that was already partitioned and formatted:
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... w/download

Use it as follows:
-drive file=disk10gb.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk

Best,
Cat_7
Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Post by Needalotofhelp »

No, I created a new image. How do I partition and format the disk CORRECTLY so the installer can recognize it and allow me to install the OS? Disk Utility can read it just fine.

Thanks for the link though!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As mentioned before.

Create an image, add it to the qemu command line. Use disk utility in OSX to partition and format the disk image.
Stop the installation. Quit Qemu. Start Qemu and install. If the disk is not available for installation, partition and format it again.

Best,
Cat_7