No qemu.bat file?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

pmj
Inquisitive Elf

No qemu.bat file?

Post by pmj »

Hi

I'm installing Qemu in order to run Mac OS9.2.2 on a modern-ish Mac (High Sierra in this case...).

So far so good, but want to boot from the installation on the drive, not from the CD iso image.

In the instructions for Mac, is says:

"To boot the installed Mac OS, you need to edit the qemu.bat file:

Change the -boot d argument to -boot c.
Reverse the order in which your disk and cdrom entry are listed in qemu.bat.

When booting with -boot c, make sure your hard disk image file is listed first. Save the file. Double-click qemu.command and Mac OS will boot from the hard disk."

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Unless I'm being stupid (likely) I can't see that qemu.bat file anywhere. Is that a Windows file instruction? If so, what am I adding / changing to get it working on a Mac installation?

Thanks for any help
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: No qemu.bat file?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Oops, I see qemu.bat was mentioned twice in that guide. That is a copy/paste error. It has now been fixed to refer to qemu.command

Best,
Cat_7
pmj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by pmj »

Ah thanks... My qemu.command looks like this though:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -cdrom MacOS9.2.iso -hda empty_disk.qcow2 -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

#A manual for the installation of Mac OS/Mac OSX can be found at https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Do the changes need to be made to 'boot-args = -v' ?

(This is from the Qemu-3.1-OSX-25-12-2018 install)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -cdrom MacOS9.2.iso -hda empty_disk.qcow2 -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Can be simplified to:
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -cdrom MacOS9.2.iso -hda empty_disk.qcow2

The other command line arguments are mostly set by default or have no effect when running Mac OS 9.x, so would not need to be explicitly mentioned.
If you run mac OS 9.2, I would suggest using -M mac99,via=pmu. For 9.0, 9.1, 10.0 and 10.1 use -M mac99

Best,
Cat_7
pmj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by pmj »

Excellent, thanks very much for your help!

I get a couple of key-map -21 related warnings in the yellow bios boot screen, are they anything to worry about? Everything seems to boot OK.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

They are OK, we all get them.... ;-)

Best,
Cat_7