Mac OS X 10.0 not booting from hard disk image

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Elektro184
Space Cadet

Mac OS X 10.0 not booting from hard disk image

Post by Elektro184 »

Hi All,

This is my first post so go easy on me!
I've booted used Qemu to boot the install disk and successfully installed 10.0 onto a blank image.

However, once I change my batch file to boot from the hard drive image, I get the following message:
"No valid state has been set by load or init-program"

I've not had this issue with my copy of 10.3, and I've followed the same process (apart from removing via pmu)

Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mac OS X 10.0 not booting from hard disk image

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome (is that easy enough ;-) )

Can you post the content of your batch file here?
And perhaps let us know how you created the hard disk image, and whether you erased it during install? And where the 10.0 image came from?

Best,
Cat_7
Elektro184
Space Cadet

Post by Elektro184 »

Hi,

Here's the batch file:

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99 ^
-m 512 ^
-sdl ^
-boot c ^
-drive file=Cheetah.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file=Cheetah.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^

The hard disk image was the 6gb blank image for PearPC which I've been using for a few years now that had 10.3 installed on it and I've been using in Pear PC.
I've used that image on Qemu for a few days, so I copied it, re-named it "Cheetah", and formatted it during the 10.0 install.

Everything completed ok, as I can't restart the machine, I closed Qemu at that point (While the countdown timer was running), changed the batch file and then restarted Qemu.

Both my 10.0 and 10.3 install ISO's came from the original disks, the only difference is the 10.0 ISO was created on my PC (only just decided to have a play with it), and the 10.3 ISO was created on my old iMac before it died. I don't know if that makes any difference?

I hope this helps!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The only reason I can think of for the image not to boot is that is was not sufficiently erased.
Did you re-partition to 1 partition and then have the disk utility format it?

You can also try to create a new disk image with the qemu-img program. See our guide here:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows

Best,
Cat_7
Elektro184
Space Cadet

Post by Elektro184 »

I'll try creating a new blank image and re-install.

Thank you for the help.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Also feel free to cross-reference with https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/PowerPC -- but I do recall that 10.0 is very finicky about its partition scheme for its drives -- so much so that it's incompatible with PearPC (along with other bits being incompatible). I believe the setup boots OS 9, then runs a partition tool, and after that's been done correctly, the installer loads the different bits of OS X into the correct partitions, then reboots. If the partitions then aren't set up exactly in the right way, EFI can't find the EFI executable on the main partition (because the partition format is loaded into EFI elsewhere).

This was all sorted out by 10.2, but for 10 PB, 10.0 and 10.1, you'll want to set up everything from the provided installers, including drive partitioning and formatting.