Qemu-5.0-OSX-screamer configuration

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

phraposo
Space Cadet

Qemu-5.0-OSX-screamer configuration

Post by phraposo »

Hi everyone!
I'm new to Qemu and I just installed the Qemu-5.0-OSX-screamer-01-05-2020. It's running great on a Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave) with internet and sound (including MIDI), but it seems that the configurations is a little different from others Qemu versions. Everytime I lauch the software I get this message:

"WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'MacOS9.2.1.img' and probing guessed raw.
Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions."

This is the content of qemu.command I'm using:

./qemu-system-ppc-50-screamer \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 \
-hda MacOS9.2.1.img
-device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01 \

I have another question too - How can I use a Cd-Rom drive in this Qemu version? The command "-drive file=filename.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \" is not working.

P.S.: I thank you all in advance and congratulate all developers. I've just discovered this software in this week and I think it's really great.

Best,

Paulo
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu-5.0-OSX-screamer configuration

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you change -hda MacOS9.2.1.img into -drive file=MacOS9.2.1.img,format=raw,media=disk the warning will be gone.
To use CD's (real or images) please read our guide:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... isk_images

Best,
Cat_7
phraposo
Space Cadet

Post by phraposo »

Thank you very much Cat_7!

I've another question about qemu-screamer, but now about emulating Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) with sound. Everything is working fine, except for a sound delay. Each sound is played 4 times. This is the command configurations i'm using:

-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu -m 960M \ ### with =cuda the mouse right click doesn't work and I've tested different memory sizes (256, 512, etc..) ###
-cpu G4 \ ### Experimental, It worked with G3 and G4 ###
-boot c \
-drive file=MacOSTiger.img,format=raw,media=disk \

Any suggestion?

Thanks again.

Best,
PHRaposo
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Aside from some simplification for your command line, I have no suggestions.
The experimental sound builds only works reasonably well with Mac OS 9x and perhaps 10.0/10.1.
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu -m 960M \ ### with =cuda the mouse right click doesn't work and I've tested different memory sizes (256, 512, etc..) ###
-cpu G4 \ ### Experimental, It worked with G3 and G4 ###
-boot c \
-drive file=MacOSTiger.img,format=raw,media=disk \
-cpu G4 is the default when -M is mac99, so doesn't need to be mentioned.
-device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01 is also default, so can be removed.

Best,
Cat_7
phraposo
Space Cadet

Post by phraposo »

Thanks again Cat_7.
Yes, Qemu-screamer is working great on a MacOS9.2 guest! I'm really impressed. I'm also wondering if there is other emulator, like PearPC, that is capable of emulate Mac OS X 10.4 with sound support. As I said, I'm new to emulators and now I'm trying to study one of your posts about it:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5757

Best,
PHRaposo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

phraposo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 pm Thanks again Cat_7.
Yes, Qemu-screamer is working great on a MacOS9.2 guest! I'm really impressed. I'm also wondering if there is other emulator, like PearPC, that is capable of emulate Mac OS X 10.4 with sound support. As I said, I'm new to emulators and now I'm trying to study one of your posts about it:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5757

Best,
PHRaposo
To answer your question... PearPC doesn't have audio support. In some circumstances, PearPC is faster than QEMU-PPC, but in features and accuracy it is lacking significantly compared to QEMU.