GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by adespoton »

rdisk references are absolute, so it would likely be /dev/rdisk3 or possibly something like /dev/rdisk6. It's easier to use the non-block interface if you're not sure what the value is.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

So... on my way to being able to build the VGA binary for qemu:

And yet, so far. :sad:

It's almost willing to work, but it looks like I'll have to hunt down a different license than the educational one I have.
DANADAX
Student Driver

Post by DANADAX »

Thank you, everyone, for your input and your replies to my "Average Joe" questions.

Though I am 30 now, back in 1998 and 1999 I was a student in a very special class (you had to sign up very early because the seats filled up FAST), where the teacher taught, amongst other things, computer art and computer multimedia. Everything we did focused on creativity via computer usage. We all had our own G3 iMacs to work on. I was exposed to the concepts of creating art with computers way back then. This was when Mac OS 9 was the main thing going on with Apple. Mac OS 9, though dated by now, has kept my admiration ever since. Even though I use modern operating systems daily, I also use "vintage" operating systems, much to the criticism of other digital artists I've met. In their opinion, I need to "Get with the times, man!" But they really just don't understand.

I am hoping that the sound issues get resolved, because even though I do make visual art, I spent years in school (both in high school and at college level) learning Music Theory and Composition. I've acquired so many programs for a plethora of operating systems, and I absolutely enjoy the ones I own for Mac OS 9, so throughout the years my common creations are more musical. I am excited that QEMU has come this far in emulating Mac OS 9, and I hope it keeps getting better. I may not post often in this thread (computer coding/programming goes way over my head), but I do read this thread daily just to see if any new developments are happening.

This is honestly the only forum I check up on these days. I am excited!
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I do have some experience coding up partial PPC emulators, though they never got far. I'm glad I was able to answer some questions. Honestly, I never really touched on QEMU until recently. I want to contribute more, but I'm arguably more of a hacker than a developer.

As for QEMU, it seems like a whole bunch of CPU and other fixes that didn't make it in time for 2.7 will be in 2.8. Stay tuned to see how that goes.

As for sound, I'm going to say that might be implemented/fixed in 2017. We'll see how that goes.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

DANADAX wrote:Thank you, everyone, for your input and your replies to my "Average Joe" questions.

Though I am 30 now, back in 1998 and 1999 I was a student in a very special class (you had to sign up very early because the seats filled up FAST), where the teacher taught, amongst other things, computer art and computer multimedia. Everything we did focused on creativity via computer usage. We all had our own G3 iMacs to work on. I was exposed to the concepts of creating art with computers way back then. This was when Mac OS 9 was the main thing going on with Apple. Mac OS 9, though dated by now, has kept my admiration ever since. Even though I use modern operating systems daily, I also use "vintage" operating systems, much to the criticism of other digital artists I've met. In their opinion, I need to "Get with the times, man!" But they really just don't understand.

I am hoping that the sound issues get resolved, because even though I do make visual art, I spent years in school (both in high school and at college level) learning Music Theory and Composition. I've acquired so many programs for a plethora of operating systems, and I absolutely enjoy the ones I own for Mac OS 9, so throughout the years my common creations are more musical. I am excited that QEMU has come this far in emulating Mac OS 9, and I hope it keeps getting better. I may not post often in this thread (computer coding/programming goes way over my head), but I do read this thread daily just to see if any new developments are happening.

This is honestly the only forum I check up on these days. I am excited!
As someone who cut my teeth on digital composition using DMCS Construction Set on a Mac Plus hooked up to a Korg midi box, I know where you're coming from :) Nothing quite beats an OS 9 DAW with ProTools for classic sounds, even if a lot of it can be done with a bit of fiddling in Garage Band.

I still have "Repeat After Me" which I use for mapping my singing voice to Macintalk voices; it works surprisingly well for that retro electronica feel to the vocal track.

I doubt we're going to have MIDI-capable emulators any time soon; clock drift is just to big of an issue. But we're definitely getting closer, and you can even map qemu serial to bluetooth for Bluetooth MIDI :)
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:So... on my way to being able to build the VGA binary for qemu:

It's almost willing to work, but it looks like I'll have to hunt down a different license than the educational one I have.
Maybe MPW could do it. Apple made it free for use.

Are you trying to add a feature? I sent an email a while back asking Ben if he could add a feature to this driver that would allow the user to add supported resolutions from the command-line. He probably doesn't have the time now to do it. I would do it but I don't know how to access the /chosen node in OpenBIOS from the driver.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

adespoton wrote:Has anyone tried my suggestions of using JACK or similar to simply route the audio to the host? Since audio processing seems to work and it's just the output hardware we're lacking, this should enable output to the host.

For that matter, JACK inegration in qemu should work, as it's OSS and cross-platform. Then the host just subscribes to qemu as an audio source, qemu presents the JACK interface as default hardware, and the audio should flow freely :)
It seemed to me a good idea and I've tried to do so.I installed Jack for OS X 0.90(I run
10.10.5),but jack didn't start via qjackctl.So,I installed brew version,in qjackctl setup section changed Server Path to /usr/local/Cellar/jack/0.124.1/bin/jackd and pressed Start button.It showed "Could not connect to JACK server as client."I left jack in this state and booted qemu with "-usb -device usb-audio" option and Mac OS 9 image.Alert sounds from Apple Menu>Control Panels>Sound worked,though after playing 1,2 or 3 sounds system hung.Then I tried the same with my 10.4.6 installation.In Systen Preferences : no output devices.Then I tried it with my 10.3 image.Works!In system Prefs I see USB Audio Device,and the sounds in Sound Effects Section play back,though rather poorly...
When I tried to start jack from Terminal instead and then start qemu,I got nothing.So,I confirm that your idea works even with half-working Jack-:)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

alex195812 wrote:
adespoton wrote:Has anyone tried my suggestions of using JACK or similar to simply route the audio to the host? Since audio processing seems to work and it's just the output hardware we're lacking, this should enable output to the host.

For that matter, JACK inegration in qemu should work, as it's OSS and cross-platform. Then the host just subscribes to qemu as an audio source, qemu presents the JACK interface as default hardware, and the audio should flow freely :)
It seemed to me a good idea and I've tried to do so.I installed Jack for OS X 0.90(I run
10.10.5),but jack didn't start via qjackctl.So,I installed brew version,in qjackctl setup section changed Server Path to /usr/local/Cellar/jack/0.124.1/bin/jackd and pressed Start button.It showed "Could not connect to JACK server as client."I left jack in this state and booted qemu with "-usb -device usb-audio" option and Mac OS 9 image.Alert sounds from Apple Menu>Control Panels>Sound worked,though after playing 1,2 or 3 sounds system hung.Then I tried the same with my 10.4.6 installation.In Systen Preferences : no output devices.Then I tried it with my 10.3 image.Works!In system Prefs I see USB Audio Device,and the sounds in Sound Effects Section play back,though rather poorly...
When I tried to start jack from Terminal instead and then start qemu,I got nothing.So,I confirm that your idea works even with half-working Jack-:)
Yes; Jack has a number of modes, and the "slap it on top" method is always hit and miss. Compiling it into qemu as an I/O device instead of USB audio would work MUCH better.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:

Are you trying to add a feature? I sent an email a while back asking Ben if he could add a feature to this driver that would allow the user to add supported resolutions from the command-line. He probably doesn't have the time now to do it. I would do it but I don't know how to access the /chosen node in OpenBIOS from the driver.
Yeah; I actually added the code for selecting more screen resolutions before I realized I couldn't compile it. So for now, I just hack the binary and change 04000300 to 050002D0 down at the bottom of the binary so that 1024x768 becomes 1280x720 (yes, it really is that simple). I could probably whip up a script people could run to set whatever resolution they want, but it would be better to have command line parsing.

The biggest thing though, is that I want to be able to fully compile all of the qemu code on my own, so that I can fix/modify anything I want well into the future, without having to depend on the future existing knowledge, software or skill of someone else.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:
Programmingkid wrote:

Yeah; I actually added the code for selecting more screen resolutions before I realized I couldn't compile it. So for now, I just hack the binary and change 04000300 to 050002D0 down at the bottom of the binary so that 1024x768 becomes 1280x720 (yes, it really is that simple). I could probably whip up a script people could run to set whatever resolution they want, but it would be better to have command line parsing.

The biggest thing though, is that I want to be able to fully compile all of the qemu code on my own, so that I can fix/modify anything I want well into the future, without having to depend on the future existing knowledge, software or skill of someone else.
Maybe your changes can be made into a patch and sent to Ben. He has the ability to compile the code.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

alex195812 wrote:

Did the sound output from JACK sound about the same as the USB sound card? Was the cracking sound present?

Too bad this solution wouldn't work on Mac OS 9 guests. The JACK software is only available for Mac OS X.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:Maybe your changes can be made into a patch and sent to Ben. He has the ability to compile the code.
I don't want to create a patch until I've had a chance to test it and iron out the bugs/clean up the code. And for that, I need a compiler that can compile the code :)

I might try backporting the project to CodeWarrior 6; then it should be able to compile even on a 68k emulator with the PPC cross compiler libraries.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:Did the sound output from JACK sound about the same as the USB sound card? Was the cracking sound present?

Too bad this solution wouldn't work on Mac OS 9 guests. The JACK software is only available for Mac OS X.
That's another reason that creating a virtual JACK device in the emulator is preferred; then it can be presented to any guest system :)

Has anyone tried going the http://abyssoft.com/software/soundfly/ route yet? That will only work on 10.3 and 10.4 guests I think, but has better performance than JACK IIRC.

[edit] I just realized something with this sound discussion combined with the qemu vs PearPC discussion in a different thread: qemu currently has really slow FPU emulation... and OS X defaults to using 2-channel 32-bit float interpolation for sound output. However, you can also select 16 or 24 bit integer audio output... which would take the processing out of floating point calls and into simple math, which qemu does MUCH better (especially via JIT).

Might be worth a try opening Audio MIDI Setup and changing to 16-bit Integer output; this should see a significant improvement in audio quality.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Has anyone tried compiling qemu on OS X with quartz fullscreen enabled? Seems to me as that should be inheritable with virtually no actual coding needed, and would fix the issues with improper mouse/keyboard capture, plus integrate better with the OS as a whole.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

adespoton wrote:
alex195812 wrote:

Yes; Jack has a number of modes, and the "slap it on top" method is always hit and miss. Compiling it into qemu as an I/O device instead of USB audio would work MUCH better.
Sorrowly,I've got no progamming skills to do that-:(Maybe,later...-:)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm; looks like using usbaudio in 10.3 "just works" -- an audio device shows up in the OS, and it's a 2 channel, 16 bit 48KHz device with no configuration options. But I think you can change the properties on the command line, so I'll try a few things out and see if the audio quality can be improved. Odd that it doesn't work in 10.4... I'll check and see if there's a kext from 10.3 that can be copied over to make it work.

No physical USB device is needed under 10.3; it just blasts out to your default output device. No need for JACK at all.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Programmingkid wrote:
alex195812 wrote:

Did the sound output from JACK sound about the same as the USB sound card? Was the cracking sound present?

Yes,it's craclking,and interrupting,but still,it is there.I've tested more and the way I desribed I've managed to get sound in my versions of 10.1,10.2 and 10.3.In 10.5,10.4 and 10.0-not.In my 9.2.2(I have 2014 MacOSLives version from Macintosh Garden installed) after booting the sound presents for some time,and in Apple menu>Control Panels>Sound>Speakers a stereo set is shown,but next,mounted devices disappear and system gets unmanageable.Nothing but mouse works.Maybe,other versions could do better.And in Classic environment sound should be present,haven't tested it yet.
Interested about SoundFlower.Going to investigate it later-:)
Last edited by alex195812 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

adespoton wrote:Hmm; looks like using usbaudio in 10.3 "just works" -- an audio device shows up in the OS, and it's a 2 channel, 16 bit 48KHz device with no configuration options. But I think you can change the properties on the command line, so I'll try a few things out and see if the audio quality can be improved. Odd that it doesn't work in 10.4... I'll check and see if there's a kext from 10.3 that can be copied over to make it work.

No physical USB device is needed under 10.3; it just blasts out to your default output device. No need for JACK at all.
I've checked again and yes,you're right about 10.3.It works without jack,same goes for 10.1 and 10.2.But with 9.2.2 it's different: if I don't start jack via qjackctl first,just trying lo open sound control panel hangs the system.With jack launched I can open the panel and even test the speakers.However,soon it crashes,too.

edit:Have just installed AppleUSBAudio.kext from 10.3 into 10.4.6.Works!
edit:Have done the same thing to 10.5.Works as well!
In all systems "real",heard sound is unstable,may disappear suddenly.
Have installed AppleUSBAudio.kext from 10.1.4 to 10.0.Doesn't work.Silent.
I have also found out that qemu starts with options "-soundhw es1370" or "-device ich9-intel-hda" without error messages like "audio: failed to create voice ac97.pi",but in the booted system no audio output seen.Are there any third-party drivers for those devices?I remember my Intel Tiger Hackintosh to play sound via es1370 with a kext found somewhere on the net(can't recollect what it was).For Snow Leo I used a VoodooHDA.kext and it worked for my built-in Intel Audio(ALC668,if I'm not mistaken).If we had sources for appropriate Intel kexts,they could be edited/compiled for ppc.Probably-:)...
Have tested Classic.In 10.0 and 10.1.4 Classic failed to work.In 10.2 network and audio work in Classic.I used for Classic partition my separate 9.2.2 image.
Last edited by alex195812 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

adespoton wrote:Has anyone tried compiling qemu on OS X with quartz fullscreen enabled? Seems to me as that should be inheritable with virtually no actual coding needed, and would fix the issues with improper mouse/keyboard capture, plus integrate better with the OS as a whole.
What do you mean?Qemu wip build I use has full-screen mode.If I select "Enter Fullscreen" in View section of qemu Menu,I get black-framed winidow,but if I select first Zoom To Fit,and next Enter Fullscreen,I get normal full screen...
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:
Programmingkid wrote:Did the sound output from JACK sound about the same as the USB sound card? Was the cracking sound present?

That's another reason that creating a virtual JACK device in the emulator is preferred; then it can be presented to any guest system :)

Has anyone tried going the http://abyssoft.com/software/soundfly/ route yet? That will only work on 10.3 and 10.4 guests I think, but has better performance than JACK IIRC.

[edit] I just realized something with this sound discussion combined with the qemu vs PearPC discussion in a different thread: qemu currently has really slow FPU emulation... and OS X defaults to using 2-channel 32-bit float interpolation for sound output. However, you can also select 16 or 24 bit integer audio output... which would take the processing out of floating point calls and into simple math, which qemu does MUCH better (especially via JIT).

Might be worth a try opening Audio MIDI Setup and changing to 16-bit Integer output; this should see a significant improvement in audio quality.
How do you change to 16-bit Integer output? I could not find that option in Mac OS 10.4's Audio MIDI Setup application.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

alex195812 wrote:
adespoton wrote:Has anyone tried compiling qemu on OS X with quartz fullscreen enabled? Seems to me as that should be inheritable with virtually no actual coding needed, and would fix the issues with improper mouse/keyboard capture, plus integrate better with the OS as a whole.
What do you mean?Qemu wip build I use has full-screen mode.If I select "Enter Fullscreen" in View section of qemu Menu,I get black-framed winidow,but if I select first Zoom To Fit,and next Enter Fullscreen,I get normal full screen...
If you go into Mission Control, you'll see that that "full Screen" mode is just what you described -- not dumped in its own virtual desktop. It has no green zoom widget on the window bar either.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:
adespoton wrote:

How do you change to 16-bit Integer output? I could not find that option in Mac OS 10.4's Audio MIDI Setup application.
See my later comment... turns out that it's already using 16 bit integer for the USB driver, and that's all that is presented.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote: See my later comment... turns out that it's already using 16 bit integer for the USB driver, and that's all that is presented.
Floating point to integer conversions do take place during the process of outputting audio data. How do you know that floating point conversion is slow in QEMU? Do you think a really fast host machine would fix this problem?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

See the benchmarks in the other qemu thread - macbench was the major indicator; while benchmark apps designed for real hardware tend to not be accurate, SheepShaver and real hardware results are similar, while qemu FPU scores are abysmal.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:See the benchmarks in the other qemu thread - macbench was the major indicator; while benchmark apps designed for real hardware tend to not be accurate, SheepShaver and real hardware results are similar, while qemu FPU scores are abysmal.
You weren't kidding. The very slow floating point unit might be the cause of the playback problems. How do we make floating point operations faster? MT-TCG?

The 1.31 score is out of 100.

Note: if you want to try this benchmark yourself, use -cpu G3 to use the G3 CPU. The altivec test always crashes under the emulated G4.

This is where you can download xbench: http://www.xbench.com/