GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CharlesS
Granny Smith

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by CharlesS »

Cat_7 wrote:For those OSX users celebrating Christmas, Mark Cave-Ayland has left something extra to put under your tree:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848&p=52104#p52104
This is an experimental build enabling the screamer sound device on top of the latest qemu source, which I combined with the recent speed-ups in the TCG.

I installed Quicktime 6 and Itunes 2 on 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and those guests can play MP3s flawlessly. OSX guest still struggle.

Have fun,
Cat_7
Wow, this doesn't just work, it sounds great! Whoever's responsible for this: I love you.

There does seem to be an issue involving virtual memory; specifically, if VM is turned off, 9.2.2 will hang on boot, right at about the point where the desktop shows up. So for the people who are having boot problems, boot into your OS 9 boot disk using an older version of QEMU and check to make sure that Virtual Memory is turned on in the Memory control panel.

I'm also having boot hangs when trying to start with Extensions Off, but this may actually be the same issue. Anyone remember whether OS 9 disabled Virtual Memory when extensions were off?
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

CharlesS wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:For those OSX users celebrating Christmas, Mark Cave-Ayland has left something extra to put under your tree:

This is an experimental build enabling the screamer sound device on top of the latest qemu source, which I combined with the recent speed-ups in the TCG.

I installed Quicktime 6 and Itunes 2 on 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and those guests can play MP3s flawlessly. OSX guest still struggle.

Have fun,
Cat_7
Wow, this doesn't just work, it sounds great! Whoever's responsible for this: I love you.

There does seem to be an issue involving virtual memory; specifically, if VM is turned off, 9.2.2 will hang on boot, right at about the point where the desktop shows up. So for the people who are having boot problems, boot into your OS 9 boot disk using an older version of QEMU and check to make sure that Virtual Memory is turned on in the Memory control panel.

I'm also having boot hangs when trying to start with Extensions Off, but this may actually be the same issue. Anyone remember whether OS 9 disabled Virtual Memory when extensions were off?
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

I can actually play mp3's and mpeg files in Mac OS 9.2 with sound! Doom 2 even plays those wonderful midi files it has very nicely.

So I guess now we figure out why virtual memory fixes this problem.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

To add to this puzzle, I've now verified that OS X 10.1 hangs at a similar place during boot... 10.0 and 10.2+ don't. Oddly, I had to go all the way back to the August 2016 build to get 10.1 booting again. This includes my install CDs for 10.1.0, 10.1.3 and 10.1.5, not just the pre-installed OS. My restore CDs work (they boot OS 9), but the restored image won't boot either (all hang at roughly the same place).
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:To add to this puzzle, I've now verified that OS X 10.1 hangs at a similar place during boot... 10.0 and 10.2+ don't. Oddly, I had to go all the way back to the August 2016 build to get 10.1 booting again. This includes my install CDs for 10.1.0, 10.1.3 and 10.1.5, not just the pre-installed OS. My restore CDs work (they boot OS 9), but the restored image won't boot either (all hang at roughly the same place).
If you want you could do a 'git bisect' of the issue. You pick a commit that has the problem and an eariler commit that doesn't have the problem. Then let git bisect find the problem patch.

Happy holidays to everyone. :smile:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To add to this puzzle, I've now verified that OS X 10.1 hangs at a similar place during boot...
That is strange, my 10.1.3 image just boots. Take care with USB/ADB devices. Only a combination of usb keyboard and ADB mouse gives functioning mouse and keyboard. This is also an issue with 10.0.

My command line to boot the latest screamer build:
./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot d -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 128 -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=/Volumes/OSX_Data/Downloads/OSX_ISOs/MacOSX10.1InstallDisc1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -netdev user,id=network0 -device sungem,netdev=network0 -device usb-kbd

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

So, I've got the Public Beta running on the latest Mac build. Is it possible to get internet connectivity set up somehow? Was there some driver for the Public Beta? Here's my qemu.command file:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot c -bios openbios-ppc-screamer -M mac99 -cpu G4 -m 1024 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -netdev user,id=network0 -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -drive file=MacintoshHD.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Files.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -rtc base="2001-01-30",clock=vm
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote:
To add to this puzzle, I've now verified that OS X 10.1 hangs at a similar place during boot...
That is strange, my 10.1.3 image just boots. Take care with USB/ADB devices. Only a combination of usb keyboard and ADB mouse gives functioning mouse and keyboard. This is also an issue with 10.0.

My command line to boot the latest screamer build:
./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot d -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 128 -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=/Volumes/OSX_Data/Downloads/OSX_ISOs/MacOSX10.1InstallDisc1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -netdev user,id=network0 -device sungem,netdev=network0 -device usb-kbd

Best,
Cat_7
Hah! It was the -device usb-kbd missing that did it, I think. Adding this, I can boot to the main screen, but the mouse won't work. Switching to USB mouse returns to the same block point as when I wasn't using the USB keyboard.

Here's my functional 10.0 config:

"./qemu-ppc-screamer" \
  -bios ./openbios-ppc-screamer \
  -boot c \
  -drive file="/dev/disk$DEVNUM",format=raw,media=disk \
  -M mac99 \
  -m 256 \
  -cpu G3 \
  -netdev user,id=vlan0 \
  -device sungem,netdev=vlan0 \
  -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' \
  -g 1280x720x32 \
  -name "- $osver" & EMUPID=$!
Note that I didn't need to fiddle with the USB/ADB settings for this.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

So, I've got the Public Beta running on the latest Mac build. Is it possible to get internet connectivity set up somehow? Was there some driver for the Public Beta?
If you use the realtek device, you need a driver for most guests. Us the sungem device instead. It supports the built-in ethernet card of any mac supporting 9.0 up to 10.5. Try:

-net user -net nic,model=sungem

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:
So, I've got the Public Beta running on the latest Mac build. Is it possible to get internet connectivity set up somehow? Was there some driver for the Public Beta?
If you use the realtek device, you need a driver for most guests. Us the sungem device instead. It supports the built-in ethernet card of any mac supporting 9.0 up to 10.5. Try:

-net user -net nic,model=sungem

Best,
Cat_7
When I tried that and I saw this window just after booting up.

If I switch back to "-net user -net nic,model=rtl8139", it boots just fine. I thought using "-rtc base="2001-01-31",clock=vm" would make sure that message didn't pop up. I even tried this order in my qemu.command file:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot c -bios openbios-ppc-screamer -M mac99 -cpu G4 -m 1024 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -rtc base="2001-01-31",clock=vm -netdev user,id=network0 -net user -net nic,model=sungem -drive file=MacintoshHD.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Files.dmg,format=raw,media=disk
Last edited by celebi23 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

It is probably syncing to NTP servers, so the correct time is set.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

julialy wrote:It is probably syncing to NTP servers, so the correct time is set.
Is there anyway to get around that via the qemu.command file? Or something else to block that?
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

celebi23 wrote:
julialy wrote:It is probably syncing to NTP servers, so the correct time is set.
Is there anyway to get around that via the qemu.command file? Or something else to block that?
Find some way to block time.apple.com, like using your router or hosts file.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

For Public Beta you can just boot without network, disable network time synchronization in System Preferences and next, boot with network and -rtc base=2001-01-01 (or like that).
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

alex195812 wrote:For Public Beta you can just boot without network, disable network time synchronization in System Preferences and next, boot with network and -rtc base=2001-01-01 (or like that).
That option is already disabled in System Preferences. Ah well. Thanks for the suggestions though.

edit:
I got it to work. I blocked all the Apple NTP servers in OpenDNS & now I can at least use the FTP programs and some broken looking websites :P
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I got around it by blocking ntp.apple.com for the qemu-ppc-osxpb process in Little Snitch on my host OS. This way, it's available to all other processes that need time sync, and only blocked for Public Beta. Networking works fine for me :)
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Well, I don't use any of those tricks. For me, it's enough to use -rtc base=2001-01-X and, in guest, disabled Network Time Synchronization in System Preferences> Date and Time>Network Time to boot into PB and have working network. Telnet in terminal works fine, but as for IExplorer, I managed to access only MSN site via searching in address box.Security errors or just crashes when trying to access something.
Screamer is present but produces no sounds.
Also problems with keyboard/mouse behavior especially when using "Zoom to fit" or "Fullscreen" options.
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

BTW, @cat_7, what is the mac99p?

Is it different that the mac99, I know there is a mac99_U, that does something with the USB for linux compatibility.

Also, I've had success installing and using some linux distro's with qemu-system-ppc, and qemu-system-ppc64.

I'm not sure it's an issue with Openbios, or an issue with the linux installers, but if you install and can't boot for the system you're installed, you likely need to point Openbios to yaboot.

I.E.

boot hd:2,\yaboot

Assuming you've used the standard partitioning and you only pass one disk to Qemu, or at least you're linux install is the first disk.

Don't expect the linux GUI to be usable, linux seems to rely on the FPU/Vec units, and those only run around 10% of the integer performance of the emulated CPU.

What this means for Mac OS emulation, I've gotten BootX to load with mac99( qemu-system-ppc64 ) and -cpu 970xx, but it's having trouble loading the kernel, not gotten down to debugging why yet, as I'm working on PCI Passthough for qemu-system-ppc for GFX cards.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

BTW, @cat_7, what is the mac99p?
The mac99p: it is a mac99 machine with pmu. The pmu, the current vga driver and the basic sungem ethernet device were all developed by "ozbenh" (ben herrenschmidt). It used to be the only build that could run Leopard.

Some of Ben's work has already been upstreamed into qemu master, but some hasn't (notably the pmu).

From us it is only available in the qemu wip builds. If you want the source code rebased on recent qemu source, see MCaylands qemu git tree:
https://github.com/mcayland/qemu/tree/p ... ip-current

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Have fun,
Cat_7

I just wanted to say thank you. I've finally been able to play the OmniGroup ports of Fallout & Fallout 2 again :D They work almost perfectly in 10.1.5. I forgot how amazing the audio was in these games. I've had those discs sitting in a drawer for years. Thank you again and everyone else working on this :mrgreen:
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

celebi23 wrote: I just wanted to say thank you. I've finally been able to play the OmniGroup ports of Fallout & Fallout 2 again :D They work almost perfectly in 10.1.5. I forgot how amazing the audio was in these games. I've had those discs sitting in a drawer for years. Thank you again and everyone else working on this :mrgreen:
Are you saying sound works perfectly when using Mac OS 10.1.5? Do MP3's play well?
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Programmingkid wrote:
celebi23 wrote: I just wanted to say thank you. I've finally been able to play the OmniGroup ports of Fallout & Fallout 2 again :D They work almost perfectly in 10.1.5. I forgot how amazing the audio was in these games. I've had those discs sitting in a drawer for years. Thank you again and everyone else working on this :mrgreen:
Are you saying sound works perfectly when using Mac OS 10.1.5? Do MP3's play well?
Yep, except for minor occasional brief blips in the audio. It's like 95% perfect.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

For Mac OS 10.4.3, the audio sounds like a vinyl record that is being played with a broken needle. It stinks. :sad:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I had a few stutters while re-setting up 10.1.5, but otherwise it's pretty smooth. Haven't tested anything much for audio in 10.2+ yet, but I can if it'd help... my guess is that it'll be pretty smooth through 10.2, a bit more stuttery in 10.3, and the choppy experience we're getting in 10.4.

[edit] oh yes, and I found that I needed to do a clean install of 10.1 with USB keyboard and ADB mouse for things to install/boot correctly, but it now works.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

I just tested Mac OS 10.2.8 with Mark's screamer version of QEMU. It was terrible. There is only a fraction of a second of sound heard every second. This is way worse than Mac OS 10.4.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

Is there really that much software for PPC Mac OS X that won't run just fine in Snow Leopard in VMWare, though?
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.