GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by Cat_7 »

Of course.

This is my list of commands to change the dependencies:

#qemu-system-ppc, qemu-img and the library libgthread-2.0.0.dylib have dependencies on libraries normally not installed on a user machine. The commands below change the dependencies of qemu-system-ppc, qemu-img, and libgthread-2.0.0.dylib to point to the libs contained in a folder Libs located besides the executables.

#use otool -L "executable name" or "Library name" to find the dependency

#How to use:
#Find the required libs that are not in a default installation and place them in a folder called Libs besides qemu-system-ppc and qemu-img.

#fix dependencies of qemu-system-ppc
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libintl.8.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/pixman/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libpixman-1.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libpng16.16.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/libusb/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libusb-1.0.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/usbredir/lib/libusbredirparser.1.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libusbredirparser.1.dylib qemu-system-ppc-screamer

#fix dependencies of qemu-img
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib qemu-img
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib qemu-img
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libintl.8.dylib qemu-img

cd Libs
#fix dependencies of libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.46.2/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libintl.8.dylib libgthread-2.0.0.dylib

Best,
Cat_7
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

Thank you for sharing all the info. Have you tried any of the programs that try to do all this work for you? I have tried mydylibbundler, but it isn't perfect. It missed several dependencies. I should try macpack next. You might find it useful: https://github.com/chearon/macpack

I really wish Mac OS X allowed for making static binaries. Linux users have this advantage I think.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Programmingkid wrote:
celebi23 wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:Is that because you call qemu crap ;-)

Seriously: To get qemu to run on systems that do not have the required libraries installed, I place these libraries in the folder Libs and change qemu to look for those libraries in that folder. If you get that error, then qemu can't find the library and you don't have it installed.
The library mentioned in the error should be in the Libs folder included in the download. I checked and it is indeed in that folder. The Libs folder should be placed beside the qemu program. Please check that you kept this folder and that it is in the right place.

Best,
Cat_7
I haven't touched the Libs folder. I've only modified the qemu.command file. I'm not sure why I'm getting that error. Is there a command flag to have in qemu.command to manually point to the Libs folder?
The otool command can tell us what libraries the qemu binary uses. Could you run this command and tell us what the output is:
otool -L /Users/celebi23/Qemu_crap/Qemu_28pre-screamer-OSX-21122016/./qemu-system-ppc-screamer

If the path is set correctly, then you should see something like this: @executable_path/Libs/libusb-1.0.0.dylib

@Cat_7 Thank you very much for providing a binary of QEMU. Do you use the install_name_tool command to tell QEMU where to look for libraries?
Here's the output of that command

Code: Select all

/Users/celebi23/Desktop/Qemu_28pre-screamer-OSX-21122016/qemu-system-ppc-screamer:
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 1256.14.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
	/usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 8.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.5)
	/usr/local/opt/pixman/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib (compatibility version 35.0.0, current version 35.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib (compatibility version 38.0.0, current version 38.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libsasl2.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.15.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 22.0.0)
	/usr/local/opt/libusb/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
	/usr/local/opt/usbredir/lib/libusbredirparser.1.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
	/usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 4601.0.0, current version 4601.2.0)
	/usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 4601.0.0, current version 4601.2.0)
	/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.4.0)
	/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 120.1.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1226.10.1)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 1404.32.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 48.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics (compatibility version 64.0.0, current version 600.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 1256.1.0)
	/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 228.0.0)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That is strange. All the dependencies below that normally are not on a user machine point to their original locations and not to the Libs folder.

/usr/local/opt/pixman/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib (compatibility version 35.0.0, current version 35.0.0)
/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib (compatibility version 38.0.0, current version 38.0.0)
/usr/local/opt/libusb/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
/usr/local/opt/usbredir/lib/libusbredirparser.1.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
/usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 4601.0.0, current version 4601.2.0)
/usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 4601.0.0, current version 4601.2.0)
/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.4.0)

Are you running mac OS Sierra? I updated the screamer download after fixing the dependencies in Sierra.

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:That is strange. All the dependencies below that normally are not on a user machine point to their original locations and not to the Libs folder.

Are you running mac OS Sierra? I updated the screamer download after fixing the dependencies in Sierra.

Best,
Cat_7
I'm using Mac OS Yosemite (10.10.5). There are a few apps that I need that pretty much stop working in El Capitan. It's weird though. For the "qemu-system-ppc-wip-16082016" build, I didn't have these problems at all.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Hi everyone!
I have just applied(manually,copy-paste) few ozbenh patches to qemu-screamer,particulary,vga patch.I have also adapted vga patch to old-world profile.The results are following:
With mac99-- working resolutions,Cheetah(and DPs) working.Sound works.
With g3beige--working resolutions.Cheetah(and DPs) working.Sound devices present but not working.Also works (with -usb -device usb-mouse) installed 10.0 DP1 system I described earlier:
MacOS.app is shipped with Mac OS 8.6.
The build also has "broken" sungem support(with openbios version I posted above the device is present but doesn't work properly).
The binary: https://mega.nz/#!xsUVDLxK!BuW8wtWrFfhf ... ByFxngkPsQ
To try it just place it in the folder with distribution provided by Cat_7 and add qemu-vga.ndrv (from qemu-wip distribution).Also may require efi-ne2k_pci.rom for I configured it with local prefix.
qemu-wip with OldWorld-enabled vga: https://mega.nz/#!VtEnkAQD!6qEc_ppA_E0F ... v3R_Un084U
Also can boot already installed MOSX 10.0 DP1 with -M g3beige and -usb -device usb-mouse.In g3beige sungem doesn't work properly. Put in qemu-wip distribution folder.Without sungem attached wants efi-ne2k_pci.rom.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Can you please post a link to the file that's no on mega? It requires flash...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Is that with Ben's static VGA options, my expanded set, or the newer version that lets you specify from the command line?
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Specifying resolutions on command-line needed some changes in qemu,didn't it?I used mcayland and ozbenh repos,which don't include those changes,that is I suppose it's static way.Though the number of resolutions depends also on vga driver version(I remember ProgrammingKid compiled several ones).
It appears that Ben's vga patch is very simple(4 lines added to one file) so when needed I can post the changed files for screamer and qemu-wip so anyone could compile own version.Though it isn't final stage--I hope to achive some more(make sungem and screamer work both in mac99 and g3beige).Porting mac99p seems to require more skills than I currently have.
Last edited by alex195812 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Now another error after fixing dependencies:

Code: Select all

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/vde/lib/libvdeplug.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Volumes/Overflow/Virtual Machines/Classic/./qemu-system-ppc-vga-screamer
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6
Hmm...

Contents of 'Libs' directory:
libglib-2.0.0.dylib
libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
libintl.8.dylib
libpixman-1.0.dylib
libpng16.16.dylib
libusb-1.0.0.dylib
libusbredirparser.1.dylib
And the qemu icon is missing too.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Virtual distributd ethernet...Perhaps it's because I configured qemu without --disable-vnc.I've tried to reconfigure it now but have "ERROR: "cc" either does not exist or does not work".Something's wrong with my system...You can do :brew install vde(if you have homebrew installed),either symlink the lybrary to /usr/local/opt/vde/lib/libvdeplug.3.dylib if you have it installed a different way(MacPorts or somehow else) or to ask Cat_7 of making his build :smile: .(By the way he knows how to make qemu Windows builds).Or to make your own.
The files to be changed in source trees:
mcayland: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... mFmZmZlWms
ozbenh: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... FlsV2UtMkU
That is for vga only.Sungem is not ready for use all the same.
[edit]Have rebooted,cc works again,recompiled with --disable-vnc,reuploaded.Hope it won't need vde anymore.
Also on mega: https://mega.nz/#!0klTTb7B!dpvWLE0Q4rfE ... Bzy9TioFXM
https://mega.nz/#!0sNAmYoT!lNiL-30VRcpu ... e88cNPdqHA
Last edited by alex195812 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

@cat_7: I was wondering why QEMU isn't mentioned on the emulation.net home page. It wasn't listed in the 'other' section either. It would make a good addition to that page.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:@cat_7: I was wondering why QEMU isn't mentioned on the emulation.net home page. It wasn't listed in the 'other' section either. It would make a good addition to that page.
Er... I haven't been maintaining emulation.net in, what... 10 years? Did you mean emaculation.com?
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

adespoton wrote:
Programmingkid wrote:@cat_7: I was wondering why QEMU isn't mentioned on the emulation.net home page. It wasn't listed in the 'other' section either. It would make a good addition to that page.
Er... I haven't been maintaining emulation.net in, what... 10 years? Did you mean emaculation.com?
Wow, you were the one who made emulation.net. It was a great site. Thank you for it. Yes. I did mean emaculation.net. Sorry.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

alex195812 wrote: [edit]Have rebooted,cc works again,recompiled with --disable-vnc,reuploaded.Hope it won't need vde anymore.
Also on mega: https://mega.nz/#!0klTTb7B!dpvWLE0Q4rfE ... Bzy9TioFXM
https://mega.nz/#!0sNAmYoT!lNiL-30VRcpu ... e88cNPdqHA
Still the same error.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Oh,looks like for now the only way is to install vde with homebrew...I haven't yet learned to make Cat_7-style portable builds.Mine depend on my own system.Now I struggle hard :smile: to make sungem work with qemu-screamer.It's somewhat confused...Some later going to learn the building.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Programmingkid wrote:
adespoton wrote:
Wow, you were the one who made emulation.net. It was a great site. Thank you for it. Yes. I did mean emaculation.net. Sorry.

I didn't make it; that honour goes to John Stiles, who went on to develop some still pretty popular MMORPGs; I just took over running it until the traffic flow got so low that we merged it with EmuScene (which later became MacScene.net).

emaculation.com is what you meant, I think :)
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

Well,I found out that qemu version used by mcayland to develop screamer has broken network and that's why sungem didn't work in my builds.
So i have ported screamer to latest 2.8.0 version,added ozbenh's vga(both Old and New Worlds) and sungem patches.And here it is:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... 2xGUjVrbTA
To be used with this openbios: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... 0cwanFrUXM
All together now!Exept for mac99p.Thank U Santa! :smile: Thinking of porting sungem/screamer to Old world...
Happy New Year to everyone!
The same but with few more Ben's patches(openpic model, CPU frequency,checksum and more):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... XhZYi1fSUk
Tested it with OS X 10.5.Cannot boot with hard disks attached.Boots(slowly) at least one of my istaller cd images,with -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd mouse and keyboard work.Disk images may be attached like -usbdevice disk:<format>:<image file>.Seems impossible to install on such disks or to boot from them though.An IDE patch is needed to make it usable.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

I have made a super version of the cocoa.m file. This file is the user interface file for QEMU on Mac OS X (if you use cocoa). Here are all the features I have added to this file:
- .toast file support
- Speed menu
- Image file mounting as USB flash drive
- Send Key menu
- Fix for mouse down event being sent to guest when it shouldn't
- Use Real Optical Media menu item under Machine menu
- Paste support of text into guest OS

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vu6jynkm4 ... m_file.zip

The .toast file format is very similar to .iso. You won't have to change your .toast files to .iso anymore in order to use them in QEMU.

The Speed menu gives you the ability to slow down QEMU. This is will reduce power usage and reduce laptop heat up. There are a lot of applications that aren't made well enough and cause excessive CPU usage when they don't need to do so. This feature will help in those situations.

Image mounting allows the user to mount an image file on the guest. It is just like using a USB flash drive to copy files from one computer to another.

The Send Key menu allows you to send key combinations to the guest. This is great for situations where you need to force quit an application. This is how you use it: -sendkeymenu Command-Option-Esc:0x37,0x3A,0x35:Command-Power:0x37,0x7F7F:Command-Shift-3:0x37,0x38,0x14

The format is -sendkeymenu <Name>:<keyboard keycode>

Using real CD media is now possible. Just select Machine->Use Real Optical Media. Some CD/DVD's may need to be unmounted before being used in QEMU.

Paste support allows for the user to paste text from the host into the guest. This feature is experimental. I suggest limiting how much you paste to around paragraph at a time.

Hope this helps make QEMU a bit more easier to use. Happy New Years!
Madd the Sane
Student Driver

Post by Madd the Sane »

Programmingkid wrote:I have made a super version of the cocoa.m file. This file is the user interface file for QEMU on Mac OS X (if you use cocoa). [...]

Hope this helps make QEMU a bit more easier to use. Happy New Years!
Ooh, thanks for the Mac additions :D

Although it looks like file strings are passed through cStringUsingEncoding as opposed to fileSystemRepresentation.
Get out of my mind, idea! I already have an idea in there!
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

A build with new cocoa.m :
Looks convenient. :smile:,but it seems that in 'zoom to fit'+'Enter Fullscreen' mode mouse clicks do not work.In windowed mode it's OK.And there's a difference when you enter full screen from menu or with hotkeys. Pasting from host to TextEdit works with some issues(some deformations in text may happen).Tested with Panther guest.
A build with qemu/hw/ide/macio.c from ozbenh repo.Leopard works now(with usb keyboard and mouse):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... llWbV91cU0
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

alex195812 wrote:A build with new cocoa.m :
Looks convenient. :smile:,but it seems that in 'zoom to fit'+'Enter Fullscreen' mode mouse clicks do not work.In windowed mode it's OK.And there's a difference when you enter full screen from menu or with hotkeys. Pasting from host to TextEdit works with some issues(some deformations in text may happen).Tested with Panther guest.
A build with qemu/hw/ide/macio.c from ozbenh repo.Leopard works now(with usb keyboard and mouse):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... llWbV91cU0
Thank you very much for testing my code. I did try to use your version of QEMU, but it doesn't work. It is a problem with missing dylibs. The binary is still coded to look for them in the path of your computer's layout. I think making a script that changes all the dylibs is what you need. This program is made to help with this very issue: https://github.com/chearon/macpack

I did fix a problem with the paste feature that prevented uppercase letters from going thru. Thanks for catching the full screen bug. I will post a new version soon. The missing mouse clicks in fullscreen mode problem has also been fixed.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

Cat_7 wrote:Of course.
I was wondering how you build Mark Cave-Ayland's screamer repo. These are the steps I take:

git clone https://github.com/mcayland/qemu.git
git checkout screamer
./configure --target-list=ppc-softmmu --cc=gcc-4.9 --cxx=gcc-4.9

I always see this error:

ERROR: Unknown target name 'ppc-softmmu'

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

I did it another way(don't know if it matters though):
git clone -b screamer --single-branch https://github.com/mcayland/qemu.git
When started ./confugure it wanted dtc so I had to do:
git submodule update --init dtc.Next it went smoothly.
But I'm acquainted with the error you described.I met it when trying to use early 2.8.0 distribution(downloaded 21 Dec). ./confugure --help showed "awailable targets:qemu-2.8 *-sofmmu".In later distribution (downloaded 27 Dec) all is OK.
Thanx for macpack link.Now when my researches have slowered(met harder problems) it's time to learn making portable builds so people could really use them.
By the way,mcayland qemu version is network-broken,so it makes sense to port screamer and some other stuff(exept mac99p for it is based on incompatible changes in openbios) to 2.8.0.I have done something manually and can post the changed files for time-saving:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... HJiT3N1Z0U Hope I haven't missed something essential.

Well,using Macpack I've made this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69bs ... 2JJMXJDSnc
It should work on any system.At least it doesn't work on my system when I move libs folder.
Tested with Mac OS 9.2.2.Sound works,sungem network and resolutions,too.Generally,in mac99 screamer,sungem and vga should work,in g3beige vga only.Runs Leopard,too(slowly,usb-mouse and usb-kbd needed).No mac99p.It is more complcated for porting.