GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by darthnvader »

Are you pulling with git?

If so, what's your git command?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Git commands:

The first time you create the local repository, use:
git clone https://github.com/qemu/qemu qemu-master
Subsequent update from inside the qemu-master folder are done with:
git pull

Also update the dtc submodule:
git submodule update --init dtc

Then configure and make

Best,
Cat_7
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

I have just tried the new build for MacOS and it appears that it supports sungem and is capable of booting Leopard with -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd. It means that IDE patches necessary for that have been applied at last. The UI is sometimes strange and unpredictably changing mouse behavior.
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

Thanks Cat7, I wanted to make sure I was pulling from the same source.

Let's discuss the CPU performance in the other thread, the mega thread is already, well, MEGA. :mrgreen:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I have just tried the new build for MacOS and it appears that it supports sungem and is capable of booting Leopard with -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd. It means that IDE patches necessary for that have been applied at last. The UI is sometimes strange and unpredictably changing mouse behavior.
Well, that is a surprise ;-) You're right, this build does also boot Leopard. But compared to the older wip builds, it seems very slow running Leopard and to be having some issues with e.g., date and time (and mouse).

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:And then also a new Qemu build for OSX landed. Speed-up included ;-)

MacBench 3.0 results in Mac OS 9.2:

From 2.11 (yesterday) to 2.12 pre (15-12-2017)
Processor: 173 > 211
Floating point: 49 > 58
Disk mix: 106 > 156
Graphics mix: 153 > 171

Find it here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848

Enjoy,
Cat_7
Wooooo! Just waiting for the day I can have sound along with all the other improvements :smile:
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

Mmmh too bad... that new build doesn't like me :

Code: Select all

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
  Referenced from: /Applications/Apps Diverses/Qemu_2.7-rc0-network.OSX/Qemu64-2.12-preOSX-15122017/./qemu-system-ppc (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
  Referenced from: /Applications/Apps Diverses/Qemu_2.7-rc0-network.OSX/Qemu64-2.12-preOSX-15122017/./qemu-system-ppc (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Trace/BPT trap: 5
I'm using this cmd , on 10.10 El Capitan :

./qemu-system-ppc -bios openbios-ppc -boot c -M mac99 -m 1024 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -g 1024x768x32 -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -drive file=empty_disk.raw,format=raw,media=disk
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yep,

This was built on Sierra. It is not the command line that is the issue, but the differences between shared libraries from El Capitan to Sierra.

Best,
Cat_7
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

Yes thanks, figured that too. Compiled mine on El Capitan following the instructions you posted above. Here :
http://galgot.free.fr//transit/Qemu64-2 ... apitan.zip
Indeed , some speed improvement :)

Edit: The same compiled on Debian 8 PPC works too :) Here is OS 9.2.2, tried booting 10.3.9 but it hangs. It's slow of course on a Powerbook 1.67Ghz, but fun.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

Great picture. It looks like you are using NeXtstep as your host operating system.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

It’s WindowMaker, and GNUstep with a theme I worked on (the icons) for Riccardo Mottola from the GNUstep dev team. It’s adapted from a NeXT icon theme for Mac OS X I did earlier.
I’m a big fan of NeXT look, moreover GNUstep is the only way that I know so far to get a decent Miller columns file browser on Linux.

Btw , there is a nice project to have GNUstep and WindowMaker more integrated together :
https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace
So to get a more consistent NeXTSTEP like desktop. Runs on CentOS for the moment.

Anyway, sorry for the OT.

Tried AQemu gui with that last Qemu build too. It launches , with errors though. And the mouse cursor is very erratic when I start it from AQemu gui.
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

galgot wrote: Edit: The same compiled on Debian 8 PPC works too :) Here is OS 9.2.2, tried booting 10.3.9 but it hangs. It's slow of course on a Powerbook 1.67Ghz, but fun.
On Debian 9 x86 host, sometime BootX hangs when booting OS X, but if you give it time, it will boot.

Not sure if that's the trouble you are having.

Also, I though the G4 supports KVM on Linux PPC hosts?
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

Indeed, was not patient enough... waited a good half hour for it to get to desktop :
extremely slow, unusable. But still makes a nice screenshot.

I couldn't find the qemu-kvm package for my debian 8 PPC. I know some could install it but was on Ubuntu PPC i think, so maybe it's not on the Debian PPC repos...
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

galgot wrote:
I couldn't find the qemu-kvm package for my debian 8 PPC. I know some could install it but was on Ubuntu PPC i think, so maybe it's not on the Debian PPC repos...
If you've built Qemu from any recent source, it supports KVM, so check and see if Debian PPC has the KVM module.

lsmod | grep kvm
If the KVM module is loaded then lust try and add:

-enable-kvm
To your qemu launch command, you my also want to add:

-cpu host
If you don't have the KVM kernel module, you'll have to build it from source. It's worthwhile, runs very near native speeds.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

For those OSX users celebrating Christmas, Mark Cave-Ayland has left something extra to put under your tree:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848&p=52104#p52104
This is an experimental build enabling the screamer sound device on top of the latest qemu source, which I combined with the recent speed-ups in the TCG.

I installed Quicktime 6 and Itunes 2 on 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and those guests can play MP3s flawlessly. OSX guest still struggle.

Have fun,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I'm not to leave the Windows users in the cold ;-)

Find a new screamer build here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9028&p=53788#p53788

Best,
Cat_7
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

A great news! Thanks so much to Mark Cave-Ayland for his work and you for the builds! Haven't tried them yet but as seen from your post, screamer doesn't break OS 9.0 boot anymore which is a large step forward as well as sound quality improvement. Thanks again!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I tried the new build under High Sierra, and got this error message:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.54.0/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /Emulators/Qemu/./Libs/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
Reason: image not found
./qemu.command: line 5: 19905 Abort trap: 6 ./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot c -bios openbios-ppc-screamer -M mac99 -m 128 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=./MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -netdev user,id=network0 -device sungem,netdev=network0 -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd
Probably I'm doing something wrong...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Not your fault,

It's the path to a shared library I didn't fix correctly :-(
I'll upload a new version tonight.

EDIT: Should be fixed, same download. Please note that this requires Sierra.

Best,
Cat_7
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

Cat_7 wrote:For those OSX users celebrating Christmas, Mark Cave-Ayland has left something extra to put under your tree:

This is an experimental build enabling the screamer sound device on top of the latest qemu source, which I combined with the recent speed-ups in the TCG.

I installed Quicktime 6 and Itunes 2 on 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and those guests can play MP3s flawlessly. OSX guest still struggle.

Have fun,
Cat_7
I had a lot of problems with booting Mac OS 9.2 and Mac OS 9.0.4 in this newest version of screamer support. I was not able to play any audio. Only with Mac OS 10.4.3 was I able to hear anything. The audio played poorly as usual. There were a lot of times where I had to move the mouse in order for booting to continue.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

It certainly boots 9.2 for me...
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

emendelson wrote:It certainly boots 9.2 for me...

How do MP3's sound in your 9.2 VM?

What Mac OS ROM version are you using? I am using version 8.4.

When I boot without the packaged openbios file I am able to boot up. Sound doesn't work though.

Maybe I need to try reinstalling Mac OS 9.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The mouse wiggle/clicks needed to boot 9.0 are not particular to this build. This has been the case for a long time.

There is an issue with USB. 9.0 only sees one device. The system profiler crashes, but when booted from installation CD the profiler works. Please note that using adb mouse and keyboard will result in a jumpy mouse ;-(

MP3's play with itunes 2, or quicktime 6. I noticed an improvement in audio performance from the original quicktime version installed in 9.0.

The packaged openbios is needed to enable the screamer device.
Roms:
Mac OS 9.0.4 with 5.2.1
Mac OS 9.1 with 6.1
Mac OS 9.2.2 with 9.0.1

Best,
Cat_7
alex195812
Mac Mechanic

Post by alex195812 »

I have just tried the build and failed to boot OS 9.0 or 9.0.4 while they boot fine with the standard open-bios (without screamer support). OS 9.2.2 boots fine though requires usb-mouse to have manageable mouse. The sound quality is perfect indeed. The user interface is definitely wrong. To make left mouse button work as left button I have to press Ctrl, and to print something correctly I have to press Ctrl-Alt and so it's impossible to print "g" character or 2,3 or 4 characters.
The sound in Leopard guest is as it was before: reverberating very long.
Tested on 10.13.1 host.
[Edit] It appears that OS 9.0.4 boots with -cpu G3 but it takes much longer than with open-bios without screamer support. The sound works with excellent quality.
[Edit2] Strange... I've had 2 successful boots of OS 9.0.4 but all my further attempts failed. Activity Monitor shows 113% of cpu for qemu, it tries hard but... Also no luck with OS 9.0.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:For those OSX users celebrating Christmas, Mark Cave-Ayland has left something extra to put under your tree:

Have fun,
Cat_7

edit:
forgot to add "-bios openbios-ppc-screamer" to my Qemu.command file. Fixed that and it boots perfectly. Once it gets to the desktop, it freezes before any of the icons or the majority of the UI shows up.