GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

celebi23
Granny Smith

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by celebi23 »

Programmingkid wrote:WE NOW HAVE DOOM II RUNNING IN QEMU :shock:
http://i.imgur.com/Tcp62L7.png
Mac OS 9.2.1 was used to run Doom II. Mac OS 9.0.4 dies at a black screen when I tried it with Doom II.

Mac OS 9.0.4 with the changeable resolutions and colors.
http://i.imgur.com/rWfIZhx.png

Mac OS 10.4.0 with changeable resolutions and colors.
http://i.imgur.com/1qoXixE.png

This is all thanks to Benjamin Herrenschmidt open firmware driver.
Cat_7 wrote:Success ;-)
And 10.0 can even use the realtek driver to get networking going! 10.1 gets an IP address from slirp but traffic seems blocked.

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/images/qemu/Qemu10.0.JPG

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/images/qemu/Qemu10.1.JPG

Thanks!

Cat_7
WOW :shock: It's so awesome how much progress is being made :mrgreen: The amount of work that has been done is pretty awesome. I wonder if the Public Beta will install now :P
Arths
Student Driver

Post by Arths »

Wow, impressive :shock:
Is there any way to get all this stuff easily ?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Pick up a new OSX build including the required fixes here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 104#p52104

Best,
Cat_7
Arths
Student Driver

Post by Arths »

Amazing, thanks ! :smile:
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

Cat_7 wrote:Pick up a new OSX build including the required fixes here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 104#p52104

Best,
Cat_7
I want to say that there has been some amazing development with QEMU over time Many thanks to the effort you guys put in to making it work :)

using your prebuilt .zip from the link not only can i now change colour depth and Rez in OS X the G4 emulation also now works :D (before the mouse would vanish and going to the apple logo menu would crash finder) its nice to have working G4 emulation again

mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

gtxaspec wrote:The problem with MacOS 8.6 or below, OS complains early boot about missing /RTAS node. I believe we need more work within OpenBIOS.
I did try enabling RTAS in OpenBIOS before and the reports were that it didn't work, although the OpenBIOS code is actually just a skeleton with no functionality.

If you're interested in trying again, I've uploaded the latest OpenBIOS git master build with RTAS enabled to https://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/openbios/openbios-ppc-rtas.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This latest bios gives the following error while booting 8.5:

MacOS: Boot failure! (0xF3C481F6)
MacOS: RTAS nvram-fetch token not found
EXIT

Best,
Cat_7
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

id like to point out with Mac OS 8 that if your using mac99 it emulates a sawtooth and the sawtooth shipped with a special build of 8.6. while i do have an image of this build. when i try to boot it crashes QEMU (same crash that some versions of 9.0x have had happen)
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

got some good news with the same build i spoke of in my last OS X post. I managed to boot OS X DP3 and install it to a HDD and boot off the HDD with no problems (to boot OS X directly on the cd you need to type boot cd:9,\\:tbxi at the OF prompt. and you have to specify a G3 CPU in the qemu command line arguments) very cool to see a OS X DP running in a emulator

celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

LightBulbFun wrote:got some good news with the same build i spoke of in my last OS X post. I managed to boot OS X DP3 and install it to a HDD and boot off the HDD with no problems (to boot OS X directly on the cd you need to type boot cd:9,\\:tbxi at the OF prompt. and you have to specify a G3 CPU in the qemu command line arguments) very cool to see a OS X DP running in a emulator

https://s19.postimg.org/6ev2iwl1f/Scree ... _27_22.png
I'm sorry but, where to you type that command? I'm trying to get the Public Beta running again with the Qemu_28pre-vga-OSX.zip package.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You have to set
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=false'
in the command file to have boot stop at a prompt at which you can enter the command.

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:You have to set
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=false'
in the command file to have boot stop at a prompt at which you can enter the command.

Best,
Cat_7
Ah, duh :p Thanks!
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Having a problem with launching it. Here's my command line:

[code./qemu-system-ppc-28pre-vga -bios ./openbios-qemu-vga.elf -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' —netdev user,id=MacOS,net=10.0.2.0/24, dhcpstart=10.0.2.10 -drive -device rtl8139,net=MacOS -drive file=macos9.raw.raw,format=raw,media=disk
-drive file=iso/macos-922.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom[/code]

It gives the errors:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-28pre-vga: -prom-env boot-args=-v: Could not open '—netdev': No such file or directory
/Volumes/Overflow/Virtual Machines/Classic/qemu3.command: line 6: -drive: command not found
Trying to get slip networking to work...
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Don't get — and - confused, because that does screw with the command line. Here's a tweaked version of your command line:
./qemu-system-ppc-28pre-vga -bios ./openbios-qemu-vga.elf -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -netdev user,id=MacOS,net=10.0.2.0/24,dhcpstart=10.0.2.10 -device rtl8139,net=MacOS -drive file=macos9.raw.raw,format=raw,media=disk
-drive file=iso/macos-922.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom
I might want to get my own QEMU build environment going, since I do want to at least add some audio support.

(Side note: This topic now has over 800 replies, making this the longest thread on eMaculation.)
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

So, while I couldn't get the Public Beta to install, Escape From Monkey Island runs :shock: It's pretty slow (and there's no audio) but, it works. I was running it on 9.2.2 and updated the game from 1.1->1.1.1->1.1.2. I used the "Faster (16-Bit)" config option. The "Prettier (32-Bit)" option makes the game run significantly slower. The cutscenes almost run at full speed though. I used the Qemu_28pre-vga-OSX.zip package. I only played a bit of the beginning because it's so slow.

edit: I also tried the large version of the Mac demo and the results were pretty much the same.
ryaxnb
Space Cadet

Post by ryaxnb »

I had success doing this, and found that if i rename "empty_disk.raw" to empty_disk.dmg, it can be mounted by DiskImageMounter and manipulated with DiskUtility.
Thus, i can add stuff to it from OS X. I use Stuffit 2009 Deluxe for OS X to unstuff and stuff files, and convert IMG NDIF images via hdiutil convert, so that i can use OS X as the gobetween. OS X can also read sheepshaver/basilisk no-partition-map HFS+ disk images, so long as they have that dmg extension and either HFS+ filesystem, or you install OSXFUSE and HFSFUSE for HFS support (which i have done for legacy volumes.) Note that HFSFUSE has a minor flaw that it "locks" the file , preventing emulators from using it, until you reboot; so operate on a copy of the file if you want emulators to use the DMG in HFS (as opposed to HFS+) format you are opening with HFSFUSE.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

ryaxnb wrote:I had success doing this, and found that if i rename "empty_disk.raw" to empty_disk.dmg, it can be mounted by DiskImageMounter and manipulated with DiskUtility.
Thus, i can add stuff to it from OS X. I use Stuffit 2009 Deluxe for OS X to unstuff and stuff files, and convert IMG NDIF images via hdiutil convert, so that i can use OS X as the gobetween. OS X can also read sheepshaver/basilisk no-partition-map HFS+ disk images, so long as they have that dmg extension and either HFS+ filesystem, or you install OSXFUSE and HFSFUSE for HFS support (which i have done for legacy volumes.) Note that HFSFUSE has a minor flaw that it "locks" the file , preventing emulators from using it, until you reboot; so operate on a copy of the file if you want emulators to use the DMG in HFS (as opposed to HFS+) format you are opening with HFSFUSE.
Actually you don't have to restart the computer if HFSFUSE unmounted it, you just have to open Disk Utility and unmount the disk image. The disk image is not automatically unmounted whenever you eject the partition, that's why it's still "locked".
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

I had problems with 10.2.8 installing back in January but now:
I used the Qemu_28pre-vga-OSX.zip package. Going to try and see if Fallout 1 & 2 (the OmniGroup versions from 2002/2003) work.

edit: Nope, both Fallout games crashed.
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

kataetheweirdo wrote:(Side note: This topic now has over 800 replies, making this the longest thread on eMaculation.)
Well, considering we've been waiting for PPC emulation for some 15 years now, I foresee that this thread will surpass 1800 replies in a year or so, until the thing is completely functional. =D

It's been hard to keep track of what works and what doesn't, the changes are now coming faster than I can update my hardware, which is a first for mac emulation for me.

I wonder if any private company might try to exploit the advances made with QEMU and release some kind of copycat emulator for running Mac OS. It happened before, correct?
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

CherryOS. What happens when you're not willing to put in effort into your emulator and instead steal someone else's. Also, the company behind that was pretty sketchy (as were the firms they allegedly outsourced to).

The thing is though that PPC Macs are ancient. There's not much market demand for PPC Mac emulators today (outside of select communities obviously) compared to 2004-2005. Demand died the instant x86 and x86-64 Mac machines were released to the market.

Even then, you could make your own given that you can find all the documentation (hint: It isn't just Inside Macintosh), are able to find at least a couple of disassemblers or monitors, and have decent knowledge of taking apart the hardware (carefully) and decapping the chips.

It's definitely exciting to see QEMU rapidly develop into something PearPC could never reach (partially due to timing), though it makes me wonder how much documentation is missing is in order to properly emulate what we're currently missing.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

kataetheweirdo wrote:Don't get — and - confused, because that does screw with the command line. Here's a tweaked version of your command line:
./qemu-system-ppc-28pre-vga -bios ./openbios-qemu-vga.elf -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -netdev user,id=MacOS,net=10.0.2.0/24,dhcpstart=10.0.2.10 -device rtl8139,net=MacOS -drive file=macos9.raw.raw,format=raw,media=disk
-drive file=iso/macos-922.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom
I might want to get my own QEMU build environment going, since I do want to at least add some audio support.

(Side note: This topic now has over 800 replies, making this the longest thread on eMaculation.)
Now it gives the error:

Warning: netdev MacOS has no peer
Warning: nic MacOS has no peer
[/quote]

How do I link the host and the quest networks?
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

It seems like you forgot to specify the backend or the network device. Add something like -device TYPE,netdev=NAME to your command line prompt. Change TYPE and Name to your chosen parameters.

Alternatively, change this:
-netdev user,id=MacOS,net=10.0.2.0/24,dhcpstart=10.0.2.10

to either:
-netdev user,id=MacOS,net=10.0.2.0/24,dhcpstart=10.0.2.0

or:
-netdev user,id=MacOS,net=10.0.2.10/24,dhcpstart=10.0.2.10

@celebi23 Try changing the CPU, lower the memory (Omniware-ported games may have problems with more than 512 MB of memory), and try it out with 10.1.x. I do know that early PPC Mac games have issues with clock speeds, like Zone of Avoidance and Super Wing Commander.
claunia
Space Cadet

Post by claunia »

Hi guys,

Testing reports (using Jul 19 2016 OpenBios version, qemu 2.7-rc1):

Unless contrary specified, command line is:

qemu-system-ppc -M mac99 -m 256 -g 1024x768x32 -monitor stdio -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -boot d -hda foo -cdrom *.iso -cpu G4
AmigaOS 4.0 (hck'd):

0 > boot cd:\slb_v2
MM/OF Second-level booter V2.
Idea, design and main code: Andrea Vallinotto.
SFS and ISO9660 reading routines: Joer Strohmayer
No config files found in any supported media/device!
Goobye
EXIT
0 >
Hangs there.

MorphOS 1.4.0, 1.4.5, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, they have no partition table and OpenBIOS is not reading inside ISO9660 (is it even supported?)
MorphOS 2.4, 2.5

0 > boot Trying cd:,\\:tbxi
Quark/OpenFirmware

Trying to write invalid spr 569 (0x239) at 004002e4
Trying to write invalid spr 568 (0x238) at 004002e8
Hangs there. \\:tbxi corresponds to /mac_ppc32/macofboot

MorphOS 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1

0 > boot Trying cd:,\\:tbxi
Quark/OpenFirmware
console failed
System: <PowerMac3,1> Rev <>
CPU0: <PPC7400> Version 0xc Revision 0x209
CPU0: CPUClock 266000000 BUSClock 100000000
Hangs there.

MorphOS 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6

0 > boot cd:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img Quark/OpenFirmware
console failed
System: <PowerMac3,1> Rev <>
CPU0: <PPC7400> Version 0xc Revision 0x209
CPU0: CPUClock 266000000 BUSClock 100000000
Hangs there.

MorphOS 3.3 (G5)
qemu-system-ppc64 -M mac99 -m 256 -g 1024x768x32 -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -boot d -hda foo -cpu 970 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' -cdrom cd.iso -nographic

0 > boot cd:,\mac_ppc64\boot.img >> switching to new context:
Hangs there, but seems to be something with framebuffer (trying 32-bit mode with -nographic gives same hang point)

MorphgOS 3.7

0 > boot cd:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img
Hangs there

BeOS (needs to be run from inside MacOS, and to 256 colors) DR9, PR, R4, R4.5, R5: blank screen and

main-loop: WARNING: I/O thread spun for 1000 iterations
Rhapsody DR1 (256 colors to get splash screen):

0 > boot cd:%BOOT >> Not a bootable ELF image
>> switching to new context:
4+:interpret: exception -13 caught
>> interpret : update-key-map " get-key-map" " kbd" open-dev $call-method drop gKeyMap 4 0 do swap dup @ >r 4+ swap dup dup @ r> or swap ! 4+ loop ; update-key-map gKeyMap 1+ c@ not h# 40 and if 0 stdout ! then failed with error ffffffed

Rhapsody Kernel Loader <12:53:39 970908> 
interpret: exception ffffffdf  caught
>> interpret to DIH value &CL DIH to my-self &CL 0 100 " set-colors" ^dpy " width" GMP ?dup 0= if 280 then " height" GMP ?dup 0= if 1E0 then 2dup to Dheight to Dwidth " linebytes" GMP ?dup 0= if Dwidth then " depth" GMP ?dup 0= if 8 then over value rowbytes active-package DIH ihandle>phandle to active-package : rect-setup >r >r rowbytes * + frame-buffer-adr + r> -rot r> ; : DRAW-RECTANGLE rect-setup 0 ?do 2dup 4 pick move 2 pick rowbytes d+ loop 3drop ; : FILL-RECTANGLE rect-setup 0 ?do dup 3 pick 3 pick fill rowbytes + loop 3drop ; : READ-RECTANGLE rect-setup  >r swap r> 0 ?do 2dup 4 pick move rowbytes 3 pick d+ loop 3drop ; to active-package  failed with error 00000100
>> interpret drawImage failed with error 0000003b
>> interpret drawImage failed with error 00000005
>> interpret drawImage failed with error 0000000e
interpret: exception ffffffde  caught
>> interpret dev /packages/obp-tftp failed with error 00000003
load isn't unique.
Searching exhaustively for boot device...
interpret: exception ffffffdf � caught
>> interpret 2ldr-spin 2 pick 200 erase 200 * swap 200 um* " seek" ^bIH " read" ^bIH 10 ms failed with error 00512100
>> interpret 2ldr-spin 2 pick 200 erase 200 * swap 200 um* " seek" ^bIH " read" ^bIH 10 ms failed with error 00512200
>> interpret 2ldr-spin 2 pick 200 erase 200 * swap 200 um* " seek" ^bIH " read" ^bIH 10 ms failed with error 00512000
>> interpret 2ldr-spin 2 pick 200 erase 200 * swap 200 um* " seek" ^bIH " read" ^bIH 10 ms failed with error 00512100
>> interpret 2ldr-spin 2 pick 200 erase 200 * swap 200 um* " seek" ^bIH " read" ^bIH 10 ms failed with error 00512200
?no dev
call-method fill-rectangle: exception ffffffdf  
>> call-method fill-rectangle failed with error ffffffdf
call-method draw-rectangle: exception ffffffdf  
>> call-method draw-rectangle failed with error ffffffdf
EXIT
0  > 
Rhapsody DR2 (256 colors to get splash screen):

>> interpret : update-key-map " get-key-map" " kbd" open-dev $call-method drop gKeyMap 4 0 do swap dup @ >r 4+ swap dup dup @ r> or swap ! 4+ loop ; update-key-map gKeyMap 1+ c@ not h# 40 and if 0 stdout ! then failed with error ffffffed

Rhapsody Kernel Loader <16:33:44 980413> 
>> interpret to DIH value &CL DIH to my-self 1 encode-int " AAPL,boot-display" property &CL 0 100 " set-colors" DIH $CM " width" GMP ?dup 0= if 280 then " height" GMP ?dup 0= if 1E0 then 2dup to Dheight to Dwidth " linebytes" GMP ?dup 0= if Dwidth then " depth" GMP ?dup 0= if 8 then over value rowbytes active-package DIH ihandle>phandle to active-package : rect-setup >r >r rowbytes * + frame-buffer-adr + r> -rot r> ; : DRAW-RECTANGLE rect-setup 0 ?do 2dup 4 pick move 2 pick rowbytes d+ loop 3drop ; : FILL-RECTANGLE rect-setup 0 ?do dup 3 pick 3 pick fill rowbytes + loop 3drop ; : READ-RECTANGLE rect-setup  >r swap r> 0 ?do 2dup 4 pick move rowbytes 3 pick d+ loop 3drop ; to active-package  failed with error 00000100
>> interpret drawImage failed with error 00000108
load isn't unique.
?no dev
EXIT
0  > 
Mac OS X 1.0 Server, 1.1 Server

Rhapsody Kernel Loader <02:12:14 990220> 
sl-debug:interpret: exception ffffffed  caught
>> interpret sl-debug failed with error 00000003
Debug Flag = 00000000
>> interpret to DIH value &CL DIH to my-self 1 encode-int " AAPL,boot-display" property &CL 0 100 " set-colors" DIH $CM " width" GMP ?dup 0= if 280 then " height" GMP ?dup 0= if 1E0 then 2dup to Dheight to Dwidth " linebytes" GMP ?dup 0= if Dwidth then " depth" GMP ?dup 0= if 8 then over value rowbytes active-package DIH ihandle>phandle to active-package : rect-setup >r >r rowbytes * + frame-buffer-adr + r> -rot r> ; : DRAW-RECTANGLE rect-setup 0 ?do 2dup 4 pick move 2 pick rowbytes d+ loop 3drop ; : FILL-RECTANGLE rect-setup 0 ?do dup 3 pick 3 pick fill rowbytes + loop 3drop ; : READ-RECTANGLE rect-setup  >r swap r> 0 ?do 2dup 4 pick move rowbytes 3 pick d+ loop 3drop ; to active-package  failed with error 00000100
>> interpret drawImage failed with error 00000108
load isn't unique.
?no dev
EXIT
0  > 
Mac OS X 1.2 Server

0 > boot cd:%BOOT
Hangs there

Mac OS X DP

0 > boot Trying cd:,\\:tbxi...
this image is not for this platformNo valid state has been set by load or init-program
 ok
0 >
cd:9,\\:tbxi gives same error

Mac OS X DP2 kernel panic (boot cd:9,\\:tbxi).
Mac OS X DP3 boots but the installer doesn't allow to select a device to partition (doesn't matter if its empty or already partitioned).
Mac OS X DP4 and Public Beta "Still waiting for root device" (boot cd:9,\\:tbxi).
Mac OS X 10.0 and 10.1 hang before showing the installer.
10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 work perfectly, but if you install them on UFS partitions you need to manually boot the Apple_Boot partition from HDD.
10.5 contrary to what qemu spreadsheet page says, doesn't even show the installer for me.
8.5, 8.5.1, 8.6 complain about /rats.
<= 8.1 need the firmware to boot in Toolbox mode, to load System file using the on-ROM 68k emulator.
The 7.1 leaked source is far from the complete Mac OS kernel, it is indeed only parts of the Toolbox, it is illegal to have/read/distribute/dream_with it, anyone that is even near it cannot contribute to QEMU without compromising its legal status.
Darwin 1.0 install from Mac OS, happy mac, hangs.
Darwin 1.2 install from Mac OS, works.
Darwin 1.4.1, 6.0.2, 7.0.1, 8.0.1 work.
Copland I don't even know if this has ever booted.
MacOS 8.7 "Error processing hibernation file!"
MacOS 9.0b7c4 crashes QEMU.
MkLinux kernel starts loading, hangs on bootstrap

Can anyone post the OpenBIOS binary that contains the video driver? Maybe I can get different results with it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for all that work ;-)
OSX binary etc here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 104#p52104
Please note the additional OSX versions supported.

Qemu getting to the installer of Leopard:

Best,
Cat_7
claunia
Space Cadet

Post by claunia »

Thanks,

From source (qemu-git-90f54472f407f1d0ad0ccab6f59d65b286f269b2) with the OpenBIOS and OF OptionROM you sent me things change as following:

BeOS on 8 bit color: "Couldn't allocate system memory for device tree. Try quitting some applications to free up memory."
BeOS on 16 bit color: blank screen
AmigaOS: hangs without error message (regression)
MorphOS: same error messages
Rhapsody: same error messages
OS X 1.0 Server, 1.1 Server: same error messages
OS X 1.2 Server: booting cd:,\\:tbxi crashes QEMU, cd:%BOOT same error
DP: same error messages
DP2, DP3: cd:,\\:tbxi crashes qemu, cd:9,\\:tbxi hangs on happy mac
DP4: cd:,\\:tbxi boot OS 9 based installed, cd:9,\\:tbxi hangs on happy mac
Public Beta: "Still waiting for root device"
8.5, 8.5.1, 8.6, 8.7 same errors
OS X 10.0 and 10.1 now boot and install