Qemu vs PearPC

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Do you prefer Qemu or PearPC

Qemu
87%
PearPC
13%

Total votes: 15
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Qemu vs PearPC

Post by UbuntuXP »

Feel free to explain what you prefer, as well as the pros, and the cons.

For example:
I like Qemu better than PearPC
Pros: feels slightly faster, it's actively developed, more emulation customization (including x86, Arm, and m68k), cross-platform.
Cons: command-line only (unless you like using a terminal like me), doesn't load classic, can't boot Mac OS classic (7.5 through 9.2.2).
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Qemu vs PearPC

Post by adespoton »

Not going to vote, as I use them for completely different things.

PearPC: Optimized for running OS X, does the job well and painlessly. Easy to set up and run, and "Just Works" for OS X 10.1-10.4.

QEmu: regarding running OS X in qemu-ppc, doesn't handle networking all that well, doesn't display correct colors on all target builds, and while it's catching up to PearPC, it's still slow.

Otherwise, QEmu is an excellent testbed for running code and testing it on different architectures. It's fairly easy to create a front end for it (I prefer the command-line binary + front end approach to the all-in-one approach in general), and it has active development and an in-depth feature set.

Of course, I also find that with half the qemu builds, I can't actually get them to compile correctly in my build environment. With PearPC being so stable, this hasn't been an issue.
Katakis
Student Driver

Post by Katakis »

adespoton wrote:PearPC: Optimized for running OS X, does the job well and painlessly. Easy to set up and run, and "Just Works" for OS X 10.1-10.4.
But there is no sound.
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

And quite recently, QEMU is the only emulator capable of running Mac OS 9.2 in non-PPC architectures. It will probably allow us to use Classic, and I don't think PearPC will ever be able to do the same.
MacintoshPrototype
Student Driver

Post by MacintoshPrototype »

I selected PearPC. It's faster and there's no crazy command needed to boot.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

PearPC will work if you want to run 10.1-10.4 (10.1 actually takes a bit of work to get it going); for anything earlier or later, or if you want different networking configurations, sound, USB support, etc. you'll need to learn the QEMU command line.