gitorious version of system-m68k?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

gitorious version of system-m68k?

Post by adespoton »

Does anyone know where Laurent Vivier's branch of system-m68k with the q800 machine flag has gone? Gitorious notes that its archives are now read-only and being moved to the Internet Archive. I'd really like to merge these changes with the current qemu trunk (if that's at all possible) and end up with an alternate 68k emulator we can use -- but neither the q800 nor the NeXT machine modules appear to have been updated since 2011, and they definitely haven't made it back into trunk.

If nobody here knows, I'll try reaching out directly to Laurent....

[edit] Seem to have found it here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120723041 ... /qemu-m68k
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Re: gitorious version of system-m68k?

Post by CharlesS »

Huh, I didn't know about this branch. Was it able to boot the Mac OS, or just Linux?
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

No idea; that's part of why I want to find it :)

Neozeed might know more, as he referenced it previously.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

He may have moved it to github at some point. At least, that's what this looks like:

https://github.com/vivier/qemu-m68k

The wiki does mention Linux a lot, though; this may only be intended for that.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I know that's all he's been using it for; no idea if that's all it CAN be used for though.
ChickeNES
Space Cadet

Post by ChickeNES »

I'm actually the person who worked on the NeXT support for QEMU back in 2011. I never could get NeXTStep to boot properly, it would always fail trying to mount the root partition, and I never could figure out exactly why, despite hours of single stepping with GDB. Let me know if I could be of any help, life got in the way and Previous caught up and surpassed what I had done.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

ChickeNES wrote:I'm actually the person who worked on the NeXT support for QEMU back in 2011. I never could get NeXTStep to boot properly, it would always fail trying to mount the root partition, and I never could figure out exactly why, despite hours of single stepping with GDB. Let me know if I could be of any help, life got in the way and Previous caught up and surpassed what I had done.

I didn't think qemu had 68030/68040 MMU support. Or anything near something like a next support..
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

ChickeNES wrote:I'm actually the person who worked on the NeXT support for QEMU back in 2011. I never could get NeXTStep to boot properly, it would always fail trying to mount the root partition, and I never could figure out exactly why, despite hours of single stepping with GDB. Let me know if I could be of any help, life got in the way and Previous caught up and surpassed what I had done.
I dealt with the same issue a couple of years ago with trying to make Mac OS 10.2 boot in QEMU. What I learned was that Mac OS X had certain ways to find hardware resources. One of these ways was called IOPathMatch. We would only see the "Got root device" message if the path to the root device matched the expected path. Back then the equivalent of using a ATA PCI card in a PCI slot was used to connect the hard drive to the rest of the computer in qemu-system-ppc. Once we changed the configuration of QEMU to connect the hard drive to the Apple ASIC, Mac OS X started working.