Qemu package and guide for OSX available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu package and guide for OSX available

Post by Cat_7 »

f you want to use that resolution, you're going to have to run a version with the VGA patch.
You can set the resolution by using the -g parameter. Only if you want on the fly resolution/color depth change should you use a build with the vga driver patch. If you want the best stability I would recommend against using one of the experimental builds.

What do you mean with a complete build? As far as I know there are no other places that provide OSX builds.
What you download from here is a complete build for PPC emulation and it provides all files needed. The openbios included in these builds is the official one. What do you expect from another openbios file?

Is there a reason why you use -cpu G3 and not the default G4?
What exactly happens when you say it crashes or does not start? How far do you get?
Is your OS 9.2 installation also crashing/not starting when you do not use the USB passthrough?

The error you see in the yellowish openbios window about nvram is normal. We all have it ;-)
And speed? Well, that depends on your host and subjective experience. Some speed improvements in disk access seem to be developed right now. As is the inclusion of the vga driver in the official source. So we will provide a new build when that enters the official code.

Best,
Cat_7
b0mbel
Space Cadet

Post by b0mbel »

Hej Cat_7,

thanks a lot for your reply!
f you want to use that resolution, you're going to have to run a version with the VGA patch.
Yep, that would be great to have it.
You can set the resolution by using the -g parameter. Only if you want on the fly resolution/color depth change should you use a build with the vga driver patch. If you want the best stability I would recommend against using one of the experimental builds.
Okay, that was my idea as well.
What do you mean with a complete build? As far as I know there are no other places that provide OSX builds.
What you download from here is a complete build for PPC emulation and it provides all files needed. The openbios included in these builds is the official one. What do you expect from another openbios file?
I mean, I've downloaded almost all of them.
After uncompressing the ZIP-file there is a directory with all the files I do need, openbios as well.
But if I download this here:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/qe ... 082016.zip
There is just the executable qemu-system-ppc-FILE ... nothing else.
That's why I was wondering, if I do need an other openbios ... I saw a few command-lines in other threads where ppl had an other openbios - openbios-qemu-vga.elf ... and this one I wasn't able to find ...
Is there a reason why you use -cpu G3 and not the default G4?
Nope, sorry, my fault ;)
What exactly happens when you say it crashes or does not start? How far do you get?
Is your OS 9.2 installation also crashing/not starting when you do not use the USB passthrough?
Sometimes, it doesn't start - I see just the gray screen.
On the other hand, I do have a kind of "freezing" problems.
The system is up, I do see all the icons and so on, but there is no mouse or keyboard. I do have to restart the system ... and hope ;)

It doesn't matter if I passthrough the dongle or not.
The error you see in the yellowish openbios window about nvram is normal. We all have it ;-)
:) Okay, thanks ... that's reassuring ;)
And speed? Well, that depends on your host and subjective experience. Some speed improvements in disk access seem to be developed right now. As is the inclusion of the vga driver in the official source. So we will provide a new build when that enters the official code.
Okay, got it. Cheers.

Thanks once more for your time and your helpfulness!

Rgs,
-bomb
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

but there is no mouse or keyboard
Can you try with -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd

Best,
Cat_7
b0mbel
Space Cadet

Post by b0mbel »

Cat_7 wrote:
but there is no mouse or keyboard
Can you try with -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd
Kay, thanks ... I will, although I do have at least the "usb-mouse" in my parameter-list.

I tried the USB-passthrough with two versions.
The VGA-one from August - here it doesn`t work. I got:

Code: Select all

libusb: warning [darwin_release_interface] USBInterfaceClose: no connection to an IOService
libusb: warning [darwin_close] USBDeviceClose: no connection to an IOService
It works without any problems with the "current" version 11022017.

Thanks.
Rgs,
-bomb
baconman
Space Cadet

Post by baconman »

In the latest "19-05-2017" build, one gets this error when starting QEMU:

qemu-system-ppc: Initialization of device VGA failed: failed to find romfile "vgabios-stdvga.bin"
I resolved it by using the "vgabios-stdvga.bin" file from an earlier build (specifically: "Qemu_28pre-vga-OSX"). Perhaps "vgabios-stdvga.bin" is missing from the latest build?

I hope this helps anyone else who's encountering a similar issue!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out.
Can you check whether the download is OK now?

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Seems to be there now! Thanks for providing this build! The only thing missing from my wishlist now is sungem support :)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Would like to second that. Thanks for your time and labour, Cat_7!
I´ll give your new build a whirl for sure.
baconman
Space Cadet

Post by baconman »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out.
Can you check whether the download is OK now?

Best,
Cat_7

Yes! Thanks!
ARMDN
Space Cadet

Post by ARMDN »

Hello!
Is the latest version of qemu required 10.12?? It seems that when i try to start qemy-system-ppc, it returns:

What does this mean? Any advise?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, it requires mac os 10.12 (sierra).

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ARMDN wrote:Hello!
Is the latest version of qemu required 10.12?? It seems that when i try to start qemy-system-ppc, it returns:

What does this mean? Any advise?
Yes, this *build* requires 10.12. The source code itself will still compile for 10.6 and later.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I finally followed the guide and set up qemu with OS 9.2.1 under OS X. The guide was very clear, except here:
Booting the installed Mac OS

To boot the installed Mac OS, you need to edit the qemu.command file: Change the “-boot d” argument to “-boot c” . Also reverse the order in which your disk and cd rom entry are listed in qemu.bat.
Shouldn't "qemu.bat" be "qemu.command"?

Also, is there any reason to keep the CD image in the command after installing? Otherwise, many thanks for the trouble you took over this!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yep, thanks for catching that "bat". It was a leftover from the windows guide on which I based the OSX guide.
Wording has been changed to suggest first to remove the cd rom entry.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Good - thank you again.

Question: has anyone figured out how to use MacSSH (or anything else) to connect from the qemu guest to the host macOS system? I've tried, but it's beyond my abilities.

Next: I've been thinking about creating a user-friendly AppleScript wrapper (like my SheepShaver Wrapper) that would let the user choose an installation ISO, then boot to it for installation; then boot to the installed system. But I'm not sure it's worth the effort until qemu running Mac OS gets faster than it is. I know there's no real answer to this question, but do the developers expect a faster version someday?

EDIT: Now I've tried MacSFTP in OS 9.2 in qemu, and can't connect to the macOS Sierra host. I've got Remote Logon enabled in Sierra's System Preferences, and "sftp localhost" works in Sierra, but a connection from qemu fails. Any advice would be very welcome.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

In the first post of this thread several downloads of different builds of Qemu are available. I still get confused as to which download I should try. I've tried the first one only to discover that, as far as I can see, it lacks networking and sound (perhaps such things work, but require a reworked syntax I'm not aware of). Previous builds seemed to have resolved both issues. I might have failed to follow all the relevant comments, which might clarify all such issues. I wonder whether it would be possible to change the basic information available in that first post so that perceiving at once the present/missing features might be easier for the non-expert. For instance:

Available builds:

Build ABC, of YYYYMMDD. It will only run in macOS Sierra. It lacks sound, networking and can't dynamically change screen resolution.
Build DEF, of YYYYMMDD. It has networking, and you can change screen resolution, but has no sound.
Build GHI, of YYYYMMDD. It has networking and sound, but you can't change screen resolution.
Build JKL, of YYYYMMDD. It has "everything", but is unstable. Exemplary syntax: ...

Et cetera.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You can find just about everything you're asking for in the first two posts in this thread.

The first build in the first post supports networking, but (as this first post explains very clearly and prominently), you must follow the guide that the post links to. The guide tells you how to use networking. As the guide says, some features (like sound) are available only in experimental builds, and the guide links to a post that lists those builds, with descriptions of what they do:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 102#p52104

Since the is the second post in the thread, it's not hard to find, even without reading the guide.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I gave it a try to provide better descriptions.
Please note that some experimental builds do add some functionality (e.g., sound support), but do that to a version of qemu that was current at the time (or even stem from unofficial source code repositories) or required a specific openbios file or vga driver to work. Other functionality might have been added lateron, while the specific feature (e.g., sound support) was not included in the later source. And then there is the issue of the build platform, which puts restrictions on on which host qemu runs.

As you can guess, this leads to a multi-dimensional matrix of possible combinations of qemu version and openbios files and vga drivers. I doubt I would still know which builds support exactly what, and on which platforms they run or even which guests they allow to run.

I would suggest sticking to the build from official code. Besides sound (which doesn't work well anyway) and running Leopard (which is excruciatingly slow), it supports all functionality the experimental builds also provide.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Thank you very much, Cat_7.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote:Good - thank you again.

Question: has anyone figured out how to use MacSSH (or anything else) to connect from the qemu guest to the host macOS system? I've tried, but it's beyond my abilities.

Next: I've been thinking about creating a user-friendly AppleScript wrapper (like my SheepShaver Wrapper) that would let the user choose an installation ISO, then boot to it for installation; then boot to the installed system. But I'm not sure it's worth the effort until qemu running Mac OS gets faster than it is. I know there's no real answer to this question, but do the developers expect a faster version someday?

EDIT: Now I've tried MacSFTP in OS 9.2 in qemu, and can't connect to the macOS Sierra host. I've got Remote Logon enabled in Sierra's System Preferences, and "sftp localhost" works in Sierra, but a connection from qemu fails. Any advice would be very welcome.
Are you using TUN/TAP networking, or SLiRP networking? The second won't allow direct communication between guest and host, and may be part of your problem.

The other part... ssh from 10 years ago is not compatible with current ssh. Between those two, we have had a number of protocol changes as bugs were found in the earlier versions, and then there was Heartbleed which showed that you could access random memory on the host using older versions of ssh.

So modern ssh doesn't accept old-style connect requests for security reasons. You'll need a post-Heartbleed client to connect to a modern ssh server.

HOWEVER, going the other direction, you should be able to use a modern ssh client to connect to any ancient ssh server. So ssh, scp and sftp from your host should be able to connect to your guest, assuming you're using Tun/Tap networking and are running an old ssh server.

Probably easier to use FTP.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:Are you using TUN/TAP networking, or SLiRP networking? The second won't allow direct communication between guest and host, and may be part of your problem.

The other part... ssh from 10 years ago is not compatible with current ssh. Between those two, we have had a number of protocol changes as bugs were found in the earlier versions, and then there was Heartbleed which showed that you could access random memory on the host using older versions of ssh.

So modern ssh doesn't accept old-style connect requests for security reasons. You'll need a post-Heartbleed client to connect to a modern ssh server.

HOWEVER, going the other direction, you should be able to use a modern ssh client to connect to any ancient ssh server. So ssh, scp and sftp from your host should be able to connect to your guest, assuming you're using Tun/Tap networking and are running an old ssh server.

Probably easier to use FTP.
SLIRP, which explains the problem. As for the rest, I'm going to let it go, because I'm curious about this only in order to set things up (someday) for non-technical users who (1) won't know how to run things as root and (2) would be terrified to do so. It would be nice to have something as straightforward as the SheepShaver Unix folder, but it looks as if we may have to wait a very, very long time for it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Can't QEMU set up a virtual serial interface to named pipes? Seems to me we should be able to automate some sort of system where files can be sent via serial between guest and host. Maybe using ZTerm on the guest and ??? on the host?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It would be nice to have something as straightforward as the SheepShaver Unix folder, but it looks as if we may have to wait a very, very long time for it.
But there is such a solution in the making. You can try it, but it doesn't work correctly yet. It is on the list of thing to do though, and I saw a bunch of patches passing by on the development mailing list. I'll test it when that code is included in the main source.

Meanwhile, see here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=9342

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Or see my post and adespoton's reply here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 036#p57036
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I read that post, but didn't really absorb it. Thank you. So I created a folder named Qemudisk in my home folder, and tried this, under Sierra running OS 9.2 in Qemu:

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk --drive file=fat:rw:fat-type=16:/Users/MYNAME/Qemudisk,id=fat32,format=raw,if=none -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -g 1024x768x32 -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 
This appeared in the console, along with other messages:

vvfat /Users/MYNAME/Qemudisk chs 1024,16,63
But no drive appeared on the OS 9.2 desktop. Am I doing something wrong here (as I probably am)?