QEMU Mac OS 9 and X Software Compatibility List

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: QEMU Mac OS 9 and X Software Compatibility List

Post by Cat_7 »

For the experiment-happy among us:
The latest Qemu builds I posted "support" the ati rage128 card. However, only some of the 2-D and none of the 3-D stuff works.

This is what the developer has to say:
The ati-vga emulation is really just the beginning, targeted at those who can contribute implementing missing features, not yet
those who want to try something working which it is not. I'm clarifying this just so people won't be disappointed to see it's not working. I've submitted it now only to get it more exposure in the hope that I won't be the only one working on it, otherwise it will take years to finish.
Not that 3D does not work, it's not even implemented at all, that's why it's not expected to work. Some 2D is implemented, but is known to be buggy and incomplete so hope someone who knows more about it can fix this. Most likely target to start working if those are fixed is MorphOS which uses only 2D on this card. Anything trying 3D or more advanced features not yet emulated will fail. Only the simplest drivers may work.
Mac OS 9.2 does not seem to load the drivers. The rom on the card cannot yet be fully loaded into Openbios.
OSX does load drivers (note that 10.5 does not include them), but some kexts need to be removed from the extensions folder, otherwise the screen gets garbled/osx hangs. Some mouse issues might occur.
Kext to be removed during a boot without the ati-vga card:
ATIRage128DVDDriver.bundle
ATIRage128GA.plugin
ATIRagePro.kext
ATIRageProGA.plugin

For windows, this command line uses the ati card:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99,via=pmu ^
-prom-env "vga-ndrv?=false" ^
-hda 10.4.qcow2 ^
-sdl ^
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
-device ati-vga,guest_hwcursor=true ^