QEMU + MacOS9 Sound Support

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

DMJC
Space Cadet

QEMU + MacOS9 Sound Support

Post by DMJC »

Hi there, I've got Mac OS9 booting/running and I've got Super Wing Commander installed and running at a pretty nice speed. I'm starting to look into sound support. Has anyone got sound working under OS9 in Qemu? If not, has anyone looked at making qemu present one of the old mac sound cards to the Virtual Machine? Just looking around I can see there are open source drivers for some of the old Apple sound cards. Would it be possible to use the information in the drivers to create a virtual soundcard wrapper that presents Mac OS 9 with a virtual soundcard?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: QEMU + MacOS9 Sound Support

Post by adespoton »

Possible, yes -- but that's not how qemu does things. Search the mega thread for usbaudio to find discussion about the current drivers. The USB driver works as a generic one for OS 9 through 10.3, but FPU emulation is so abysmal right now that playback sounds like you are listening through an industrial fan.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

QEMU doesn't emulate any of the old Mac sound cards though, not even AWACS. I've considered it, but don't quite have enough knowledge for this. I'm sure you can use the drivers as a basis for the sound card emulation in QEMU, though I'm not sure you can use those as wrappers for the sound card emulation.
Z_God
Student Driver

Post by Z_God »

Does USB passthrough work? In that case I would suggest using a USB device which has Mac OS 9 drivers in combination with USB passthrough.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Pass-through only works in Linux, but is experimental.

Best,
Cat_7