Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

that-ben
Granny Smith

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by that-ben »

Just tried 01-05-2020 and it's working great with sound! Thank god for the windows key fix. Have to say tough, I always get confused with the option and command keys under QEMU. SheepShaver got it right but QEMU got it backwards :P

Quick note about the windows key fix: It still pops up when you only hit the windows key, but at least it prevents the windows menu from popping up when you press a key combo that includes the windows key (e.g. CMD + W to close a window inside Mac OS)

Sound does not work for me under qemu-system-ppc-screamer-50-hardfloat.exe
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

How do I get ppc64 download?
If you need more info, tell me ;)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

here: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/
fyi: it will not run any mac os/osx guests.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Two new qemu-system-ppc for Windows builds have landed in the first post of this thread.
One from official source, one with screamer sound support and fpu speed-up.

There is now support for serial port communication over USB connections. Read the first post on how to enable that.
I'll be interested to see with which usage you come up ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 am Two new qemu-system-ppc for Windows builds have landed in the first post of this thread.
One from official source, one with screamer sound support and fpu speed-up.

There is now support for serial port communication over USB connections. Read the first post on how to enable that.

Best,
Cat_7
Is there a command line option to disable the fpu speedup, so it acts more like the 5.1 screamer build?

And where are the updated patches?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I just realized something that may be messing people up on Windows.

On Linux and macOS, line wraps are written using the "\" character.
On Windows in cmd.exe, batch file line wraps are written using the "^" character.
However, in PowerShell, line wraps are written using the "`" character.

So if you try to run the batch file from PowerShell, you may find it breaks. Replacing the ^'s at the end of the lines with `'s should fix this.

Since most people are probably using Windows 10 with PowerShell now, should we create a .ps1 script as well as a .bat script for starting QEMU? Or just keep it simple (as the .bat script should run fine, it's just going to be a problem if someone copies and pastes to a powershell command line)?
Medik_AOL
Space Cadet

Post by Medik_AOL »

My vm MAC OS 9.2.2 don't start,it only runs with a disk (cd/rom) my .bat-qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot с -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 ^
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^
-drive file=macos-922-uni.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-sdl ^
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
-device VGA,edid=on
:sad: help :sad:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Have you been able to install Mac OS 9.2 on the hard disk? From where did you get your bat file?
If you did succeed to install then you should be able to boot with:

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-boot с ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-sdl

Take care that there are no spaces after the ^ that end each line. If it will not work, put all arguments on one line:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot с -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl

Best,
Cat_7
waldiamiga
Space Cadet

Post by waldiamiga »

Someone can prepare 6.0 rc0 version for win64. I have too little skill. Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is not much use in making a version of 6.0 rc0. I can't see any changes useful to us. If there would have been, I would have made new builds earlier.
Perhaps I'll make new versions when the final 6.0 source code is released.

Best,
Cat_7
phed
Student Driver

Post by phed »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 am There is now support for serial port communication over USB connections. Read the first post on how to enable that.
Best,
Cat_7
How can I connect a serial device?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

phed wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:43 am
Cat_7 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 am There is now support for serial port communication over USB connections. Read the first post on how to enable that.
Best,
Cat_7
How can I connect a serial device?
You'll need a USB to serial adapter that supports the type of serial device you're trying to connect. Then you just use the instructions in the first post in this thread to connect to the device from QEMU.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

To open a serial connection to the host, you do not need an usb-serial adapter. What Qemu offers is to open a serial connection to the host through its USB emulation.
See our guide here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... o_the_host

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,
Can you advise new command lines for compiling Linux build? Old fails with:
> ./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu" --enable-gtk --enable-sdl
Using './build' as the directory for build output

ERROR: Cannot find Ninja
and then obviously:
> make
changing dir to build for make ""...
make[1]: Entering directory '/mnt/.../qemu-screamer/build'
make[1]: Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'Makefile'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/.../qemu-screamer/build'
make: *** [GNUmakefile:11: all] Error 2
Kind regards
Thom75
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The command line is OK, but ninja is a new dependency for building. So you need to install ninja for your distribution.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Thanks Cat_7,

It's build fine now. It's funny even that was kind of obvious, wasn't at same time.

Kind regards
Thom
Medik_AOL
Space Cadet

Post by Medik_AOL »

Well, hello evr. i want setup mac os 10.0 on qemu, but i rember is need -mc??? comand. like i use mac99 and is work soo bad :shock:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What is you current command line?

Best,
Cat_7
Medik_AOL
Space Cadet

Post by Medik_AOL »

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M g3beige -m 1024 -boot с -drive file=MacOS4GB.img,format=raw,media=disk drive file=10.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

Now is have mac os x public beta (just i give up :sad:) now is just dont boot
mr_glide
Space Cadet

Post by mr_glide »

Hi,

I'm trying to install MacOS 9.2.2 on Windows 10, and I'm having issues with even starting the install process, specifically the QEMU.bat file. Some details as to how far I've gotten:
  • QEMU version: Qemu-Win64-5.2-09-12-2020
  • The blank QEMU disk image has been generated
  • I have have my MacOS 9.2.2 ISO
  • Amended included QEMU batch file with code from the instruction page with paths added:
qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-sdl ^
-boot d ^
-drive "file=C:\Users\Carillon AC-1\Documents\MacOS_9-2_files\Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 [PowerMac G4]\Mac OS 9.2.2.iso",format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive "C:\Users\Carillon AC-1\Documents\MacOS_9-2_files\Qemu-Win64-5.2-09-12-2020\MacOS9.2.img",format=raw,media=disk

The issue is that, when I run the /bat file, the Command Prompt window flashes up for a fraction of a second, and nothing happens. I grabbed a screencap of what is in the window, if that helps.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A68p-G ... sp=sharing

I'm unfamiliar with the processes involved, so I don't have a clue where to start looking for errors - it might be something really obvious to someone else! Any advice would be appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The flash indicates one or more errors on your command line. I think you're almost there, just some minor issues. Next time you might want to start the bat file from a command window. That way Qemu will at least give you some info on what is going wrong. If issues remain you might want to first try to simplify your paths to iso and disk by putting them in your Qemu folder. I never use file or folder names with spaces etc, removing the need to put arguments in quotes.

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-sdl ^
-boot d ^
-drive file="C:\Users\Carillon AC-1\Documents\MacOS_9-2_files\Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 [PowerMac G4]\Mac OS 9.2.2.iso",format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file="C:\Users\Carillon AC-1\Documents\MacOS_9-2_files\Qemu-Win64-5.2-09-12-2020\MacOS9.2.img",format=raw,media=disk

Please note that when ending a line with a caret, there should never be anything (like a space) behind it. Just an enter to get to the next line. Also, there should never be a caret behind the last line.
The above seems OK in that respect.

Best,
Cat_7
mr_glide
Space Cadet

Post by mr_glide »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 pm Hi,

The flash indicates one or more errors on your command line. I think you're almost there, just some minor issues. Next time you might want to start the bat file from a command window. That way Qemu will at least give you some info on what is going wrong. If issues remain you might want to first try to simplify your paths to iso and disk by putting them in your Qemu folder. I never use file or folder names with spaces etc, removing the need to put arguments in quotes.

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-sdl ^
-boot d ^
-drive file="C:\Users\Carillon AC-1\Documents\MacOS_9-2_files\Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 [PowerMac G4]\Mac OS 9.2.2.iso",format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file="C:\Users\Carillon AC-1\Documents\MacOS_9-2_files\Qemu-Win64-5.2-09-12-2020\MacOS9.2.img",format=raw,media=disk

Please note that when ending a line with a caret, there should never be anything (like a space) behind it. Just an enter to get to the next line. Also, there should never be a caret behind the last line.
The above seems OK in that respect.

Best,
Cat_7
Thanks for such a quick response - normally, I don't expect anything til the next day at least!

Scratch my first post submission (if indeed you read it before this edit), as I managed to find a bootable ISO, and I have Mac OS 9.2.2 running, which is very exciting...
Last edited by mr_glide on Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Some comments and questions.

I last ran Qemu about 5 years ago and recently decided to see how it is going. What a difference! It is now quite usable and the improvement in graphics is stunning.

1. Firstly, thank you for the excellent guides and for providing updated executables. I would be nowhere without them.

2. Question - how many drives can you specify, ie: how many drives can Qemu support in one go?

3. A bizarre situation. I set up Qemu in one folder ( say Folder A ), copied my disk images across and got Cheetah, Puma ,Jaguar, Panther, Tiger all running. Then I again ran Cheetah and Puma, and both would not run this time, going through the whole boot and ending on 'Startup complete' but never switching over to the Mac graphical display. I tried different parameters, older Qemu binaries, no luck. All the time Jaguar, Panther, Tiger all running fine.
The saga continues...
So I set up a new Qemu folder ( say Folder B ), copied the Cheetah and Puma hard drive images from Folder A and both run fine. I then copied Jaguar, Panther, Tiger disk images, and 9.22, to Folder B and they all run fine.
The .bat files in both folders is the same.
So - is there some kind of p-ram that Qemu keeps and that one needs to 'zap' like the old days? Or registry entries? :?:

4. I want to try Leopard ( which I have running well under Virtualbox ). I have downloaded 2 different .iso files but Qemu cannot find boot info on either. Any suggestions for somewhere to look for a working .iso? ( I did try to get Qemu to boot the Virtualbox .vdi to no avail in case you were thinking of suggesting it ).

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

1. Thanks!

2. Up to four. Qemu emulates two ide interfaces each supporting two drives.

3. What I can think of is this: when you change from -mac99 to -mac99,via=pmu and vv it takes a long time for the client to adapt from using adb mouse/keyboard to usb mouse and keyboard. Perhaps you didn't wait long enough? Also, see our guide about these command line arguments.

4. Finding a correct leopard dvd can be tricky. There are some recent posts about it that will give you a hint.

best,
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you very much for the prompt answer.

Thanks for the info on the drives - that helps.

I have found a couple more Leopards and will try them.

The funnies started on changing to/from pmu, so you are helping me down the right track. What I do not understand ( even with your guide ) is how the emulated machine is aware of the option. I see on your m68k page there will be a p-ram. Trying Cheetah again, if I use pmu or pmu-adb I get the guest has not initialized the display. Changing to cuda and it boots to Startup Complete, then screen blanks and there is cursor-size white square at to left, wait 5 minutes, nothing more. I get the feeling I am a bit stupid. Sorry for that. At least it works in the other folder, where all machines are cuda.