Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by thom75 »

Cat_7 wrote:For windows this one:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/wi ... 122016.zip
with mac os 9.2 as guest.
But it doesn't support 256 colours nor resolution switching.
By OS I meant which ISO file you are using. In a case if there is any difference between them. Maybe I'm tried wrong one.

Resolution switching is not such as issue but luck of 256 colors is. Seem to we need to wait. ;)

Anyway I gave another try to this version but it doesn't seem to work. Despite the fact is much slower and unstable I can't get sound, it even crashed once inside MacOS. I've run it with this command line:
qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe -bios openbios-qemu-screamer.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -drive file=Disk0-MacOS922.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -device usb-mouse
I've tried without "-L pc-bios" but it didn't start at all.
Is this sound problem anyhow depended on host OS? I'm using Win 7 Pro x64.

Latest version works well with that command line:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=Disk0-MacOS922.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd

Now I got noob question. Is it difficult or time consuming to add sound support to latest sources and build it again? Asking as I got no programming knowledge.

Thanks,
Tomasz
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I'm not a programmer, I just compile versions of qemu from the source.

The iso I used to install Mac OS 9.2 is just a standard 9.2 version.

Please check out the first post in this thread in which I have linked to new experimental build that should support sound and resolution switching/256 colours. I does on my Windows 10/64 bit machine. And please note that these builds are experimental, so you basically are the guinea pig ;-)

A sample qemu.bat file is included.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

This build is amazing, however still no sound here (both sound cards). I wonder whether having two music cards in the system can cause an issue or not? I got SB X-Fi Gamer and mainboard build-in Realtek. Do I need command line parameter to select which card to use or qemu chooses default one?

Edit:
It just crash:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ixu59ci16v5o ... 4.jpg?dl=0

Kind regards
Tomasz
Last edited by thom75 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To that question have no real answer. However, I have a realtek sound card and a USB headset. The headset is set to be the default and that is what produces sound.

How did you try to get sound? I use the sound control panel and test the system sounds. Also the Quicktime sample movie produces sound.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

I tried control panel and a game. I'll try reinstall OS, perhaps from different source.

Edit: I did some tests and sound works but only on Realtek. QEMU seem don't like SB X-fi (Speakers or SPDIF).
Old system seem to work to, need more testing.

Thanks once again, this is amazing build. Sound need some improvements but is good enough to play.

Thanks
Tomasz
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I guess it depends on how heavy those games are.
I ran http://macintoshgarden.org/games/ingenious and it seems to do well. That is new to me too ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

I can tell Star Wars work perfect on full details/full resolution and 16 bit sound.
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/star-wars-dark-forces
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Something must have happened that we don't know about.....

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

HORY SHET!!! Experimental build from July 4th now has sound working on my Gigabyte motherboard! Yay!!! This smells like pretty much the end of SheepShaver for me O.o

Basically, what's left is:

1) QEMU cannot restart on Mac OS 9, it stays on a black screen forever.

2) Emulate faster I guess? :D

That's awesome!
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Well... I wrote too soon I guess :( I have no idea what happened, but 4 days ago when I tested it, the sound looked like it worked fine but yesterday it stopped working for no apparent reason. I rebooted my PC, tried the original Mac OS 9 install CD ISO, re-installed Mac OS 9.2.2 the exact way I did it the day it worked, all to no avail! I even tried changing the sound settings under Windows, such as the bitrate, the frequency, hardware acceleration... of course nothing I changed made it work. Whenever I play a sound under OS9, it hangs the VM for a second and I can hear a split second of the actual sound playing, but that's it. Nothing else. I can see in the console:

dsound: Could not initialize DirectSoundCapture
dsound: Reason: No sound driver is available for use, or the given GUID is not a valid DirectSound device ID

And in the Sound control panel under OS9, I cannot see any output device.

Is that thing alive and self-evolving or what? It's like voodoo or something!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Is something already using your default sound device?

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Nope. I even rebooted the host machine and immediately launched QEMU without any other program open. Does the same thing when I try to play a sound (for instance adjusting the volume under OS9 in the control strip) it hangs for 1 second and does not play sound (or plays a split second the first time QEMU is booted). When launching QEMU there's always the exact same error in the console as mentioned before.

I swear to god when I tested the July 2017 experimental release the first time I was astonished the sound was working seemingly perfectly... so weird!!

Just in case I messed something up with my command, here it is: qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe -bios openbios-qemu-screamer.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -m 256 -M mac99 -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -sdl -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive "file=Mac OS 9.2.2 for QEMU.dsk,format=raw,media=disk"
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

New build seem to be more stable, at the moment haven't crashed yet but no sound and 256c mode so no much to test.
Any chance for experimental build from new sources? I mean extra 256 colours and sound.

Kind Regards
Thom
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

For 256 colour support, please look in the folder vga-driver and read the readme.
The current build for official source has no sound support, but I believe that will change soon....

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

I'm sorry, 256 colours works indeed. I'll be waiting then for sound support.

Kind Regards
Thom
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Oh sound support, where are you?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

a few patches away?

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

WindowsNeptune
Space Cadet

Post by WindowsNeptune »

Hello friend:
Thank you for providing us these fantastic Qemu-PPC builds!
I have some questions about installing OSX 10.5 Leopard.
I downloaded a 10.5.6 dmg from web and converted it to ISO. Inside it there are \Boot Camp, \DVDCDSharing,autorun.inf and setup.exe。-M mac99 seems don't support OSX10.5, because Qemu will just crash. The ony build support 10.5 (-M mac99p) seems to be the one dated 21 August 2016. However Qemu still will crash after boot from CD and a white apple shows. What's the problem of that and are there any problems of my ISO? Thank you so much! :razz:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The ony build support 10.5 (-M mac99p) seems to be the one dated 21 August 2016. However Qemu still will crash after boot from CD and a white apple shows. What's the problem of that and are there any problems of my ISO? Thank you so much! :razz:
Correct, only the 21 august 2016 build supports PPC leopard.
For us to assess what might be wrong, we need to know the command line you use to start qemu and on what host system you are running.

The files you list to be on the dvd image suggest they are for windows. Perhaps you haven't downloaded the PPC version of Leopard but the Intel version?

Best,
Cat_7
WindowsNeptune
Space Cadet

Post by WindowsNeptune »

Thank you so much for answering my question!
The command I use is:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot d -m 2000 -M mac99p -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl -net nic,model=sungem -net user -drive file=10.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=OSX.img,format=raw,media=disk
(10.iso is the one I told before, and the OSX.img is a blank harddisk image created by Qemu-img)
After run .bat Qemu starts then stuck at a white Apple logo.
I guess the CD can be used, since the apple logo has already shown, I'm not sure, and the provider of the ISO says the ISO can be supported by PPC, I dont know if it's real.. Could you please provide some correct Install media?

Thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

please change at least this in your command line:

-m 256 (for 256Mb memory, instead of 2000)

The rest of the command line is OK. But if the installation is stuck on the white apple, and it didn't switch to text showing the boot process, then most probably your dvd image is faulty.
We are not in the habit of providing install media. You'll have to search for those for yourself. Check the macintosh garden site.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

Just noticed new official version has been released. Do you thin an updated experimental version would work any better now? Is it even worth bothering?

Kind Regards
Thom
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi Thom,

With regard to speed or functionality there would be nothing gained right now if I build a new version from official source.
For the experimental builds we are waiting for the inclusion of the PMU so Leopard can run in official Qemu builds, and perhaps better sound support. There are some quirks to be ironed out before those can be added.

There are other improvements on the way, such as a multi-threaded tiny code generator (TCG), but I don't know whether that will make it into the PPC emulator.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

Thanks for an update, will wait then.

Kind regards,
Thom