Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

dadreamer
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by dadreamer »

that-ben, same here - I fully share all your comments on the recent build.
that-ben wrote:3) Sometimes while using QEMU with Mac OS 9.2 the mouse cursor jumps to a corner or the bottom of the screen.
On older builds I was suffering from the "crazyness" of the mouse - its cursor could jump here and there without any reason, so it was impossible to work! I tried different suggestions and one option did the trick (more or less):

Code: Select all

-usbdevice mouse
which now turned into

-device usb-mouse
After setting that I see almost no cursor random jumps.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Official build 14-08-2018 does not support sound anymore. Sticking with 2018-06-26 until this gets ported over into the official QEMU 3 build :(
mrpatras
Space Cadet

Post by mrpatras »

Hi Cat

For a while I struggle to make the OS 9.2 emulation to work. The folder downloaded from that-ben seems to work, I even added another 30G HD (by the way my physical machine broke down and no one can repair it). As I need to upload all programs from the machine I need to make it visible.
I created an iso disc with some documents, I gave it a name Apple CD.iso and in the qemu bat file I added as in the instructions "-drive file=Apple CD.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom". Not only that it does not appear on the desktop, but the qemu...bat does not even start (just a flick of a DOS screen and then nothing. Could you please help me getting this to work?
Meanwhile enjoy your weekend
Thank you
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you use spaces in a filename, you have to use " " around that filename for Qemu to understand it.
Please try to rename your Apple CD.iso to AppleCD.iso. Then change the command line and try again.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You can also escape the spaces instead of quoting the name: ~/Emulation/Apple\ CD.iso or "~/Emulation/Apple CD.iso"
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Uhm. I think something is wrong with your sticky post ;-)

that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

mrpatras wrote:Hi Cat
I created an iso disc with some documents, I gave it a name Apple CD.iso and in the qemu bat file I added as in the instructions "-drive file=Apple CD.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom". Not only that it does not appear on the desktop, but the qemu...bat does not even start (just a flick of a DOS screen and then nothing.
Cat_7 wrote:Hi,
If you use spaces in a filename, you have to use " " around that filename for Qemu to understand it.
Please try to rename your Apple CD.iso to AppleCD.iso. Then change the command line and try again.
Best,
Cat_7
adespoton wrote:You can also escape the spaces instead of quoting the name: ~/Emulation/Apple\ CD.iso or "~/Emulation/Apple CD.iso"
Under Windows, I have never had a single problem with any of the QEMU builds over the last 2 years with filenames containing spaces. My command looks like this and it works perfectly fine under Windows 7 64-bits: -drive "file=Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install (2002).iso,format=raw,media=cdrom" -drive "file=Mac OS 9.2.2 for QEMU (2GB).dsk,format=raw,media=disk"

@mrpatras Make sure that the ISO file you created is not a DMG, make sure it's a straight, uncompressed HFS+ or HFS ISO. Also make sure that every quote in your .bat file are all like this " and not two single quotes like this ' and not french quotes like this « (Mac OS X TextEdit does that by default under some languages). Obviously, make sure that your ISO file is not currently opened in another app when running your batch file, but the fact that the window briefly pops up and disappears usually means there's an invalid character in it, so check every character, you must have a mistake in the command. Use my batch file on MR to start with and simply change your ISO filename in place in my batch file so that way you know all the rest is correct.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Is there something wrong with the downloads?
I created a new build from the current official source and a new build from the sound-supporting screamer source code. Both on the 30th of October.

You have no problems with spaces in file names because you use " " around them. As I suggested to mrpatras who seems to be using Windows. Windows only allows using " ", while OSX can use the format as shown by adespoton.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Is there something wrong with the downloads?
Best,
Cat_7
No, there's no nothing wrong with the downloads :P I just grabbed the screamer-enabled one (the bottom one) and it works fine, but it's confusing at first glance on the sticky post, because nothing shows the files are different (because it's the same date) but obviously, it's not the same file: one is screamer enabled and the other one is regular (no sound). Maybe put a small "screamer enabled" note after the date "30-10-2018" on the bottom one? Or maybe it's just me, don't mind me, I'm crazy I think O.o ... XD

BTW thanks for posting 3.1pre with the screamer! :D
stebbele
Space Cadet

Post by stebbele »

Dear gurus,
I read for quite a while through this forum, always distracted by questions, already raised somewhere else.

However, I had hopes that the latest qemu version from december would enable the feature of sharing a folder on the host as per suggestion to edit the qemu.command by adding the sungem managed device:

-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
So is there a chance to have this feature to be used in a 9.2.2 guest system, or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Typo
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

As far as I know, there is currently no way to share a folder over the network on a windows host with 9.22 as guest.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I've added a small guide to access shares on Windows 10 by using DAVE 6.2 in Mac OS 9.2.
See here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking

I would be happy to receive feedback on whether this works for others...

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'll have to try it again; I tried sharing using DAVE back when 9.2.2 was first runnable on qemu, and I wasn't able to access SMB shares (of course, these were OS X and Linux SMB shares, so there may have been a protocol conflict).
Ministar48
Student Driver

Post by Ministar48 »

It would have been amazing if these builds had hardware acceleration support.
deksar
Space Cadet

Post by deksar »

Hi Cat_7,
Such a great effort! Thank you for this package.

Is there any Linux binary for qemu-system-ppc.exe? For instance, I'd love to emulate Mac OS 9 via Qemu under Linux. Is there any link that I could get the source files to compile or directly run a qemu-ppc Linux binary?

Thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@ministar48:
You mean for graphics? Don't hold your breath ;-) There is work being done on improving fpu performance and support for more advanced vector algorithmic (you will only benefit if your CPU supports it).

@deksar:
Probably your linux distro has qemu available. If recent enough, you can run Mac OS.
We don't provide binaries as there are so many distros. If you want to give it a go yourself, the source code is here: https://github.com/qemu/QEMU

Best,
Cat_7
Ministar48
Student Driver

Post by Ministar48 »

What do you mean by "more advanced vector algorithmic" ?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@ministar48:

More support for the PowerPC Altivec instruction set, speeding up some calculations by offloading them to the AVX2 extensions in modern Intel host cpu's.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

I created a new build from the current official source and a new build from the sound-supporting screamer source code. Both on the 30th of October.
Hi Cat_7 , is there any 2019 experimental release with sound support coming in soon? :)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@that-ben
Not that I'm aware of. I guess/hope there will be a newer build available when the fpu improvements have gone through, but that might not address the actual issues directly. I believe it is still not completely clear where the actual problem resides. I mean I can listen to internet radio in the slowest guest (Leopard) almost perfect with the current screamer build, so the network is fast enough, and the throughput seems fast enough. But not all audio behaves that well.

Qemu does have some issues with sound, also for other guest OS's, even when running the same architecture.
There is a set of audio patches in the works on the Qemu side, so perhaps we can benefit from it. For now, those patches corrupt sound from Mac OS/OSX guests. It should be fixed before the patches are allowed into the Qemu code.

Best,
Cat_7
Ministar48
Student Driver

Post by Ministar48 »

That's good news! Too bad my CPU is a Celeron.... :sad:

FYI, by "hardware acceleration" i meant something like KVM or HAXM.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

KVM and HAXM are only supported when the host is the same architecture as the guest. No use for emulation. Some work is being done on the currently broken KVM support for G4 (and hopefully G5) host machines. Qemu with HAXM on windows seems to rely on some proprietary MS files, so is not available. But I saw some discussion about that. Outcome unsure.

G4 kernels do not all seem to have KVM support included (at least not the default debian kernel), so they need a kernel rebuild...takes ~12 hours on a 1.5 Ghz G4 mac mini.

Best,
Cat_7
Ministar48
Student Driver

Post by Ministar48 »

Aw, what a bummer. :sad:

If only SheepShaver had MMU support.... that would have been great while QEMU PPC matured into something better than it.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Ministar48 wrote:Aw, what a bummer. :sad:

If only SheepShaver had MMU support.... that would have been great while QEMU PPC matured into something better than it.
SheepShaver is a broken P.O.S. compared to QEMU. Launching SheepShaver under Windows is as reliable as flipping a coin. There are days that I can reboot 3-4 times until it finally launches. The most ironical error message SheepShaver throws at you on a bad day is: "ERROR: NO ERROR." I can't get over this one, it's so funny it's almost sad. The only advantage is it's currently faster than QEMU, but that's it really.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, the other advantage of SheepShaver over QEMU is that it also runs Mac OS 7.5.2 through Mac OS 9.0.2. For most people that won't be an issue, but for my use cases it can be :)