Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

that-ben
Granny Smith

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by that-ben »

Still no sound *cries* :(
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

usbaudio still... works.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

That means I'd have to buy an USB device solely for emulation purposes using QEMU. I'd prefer if emulated Mac OS could output through my onboard audio driver like any other program does.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The usb-audio device is a shim; it exports to your default audio output, and just presents as a USB audio device on the guest OS.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Would you be so kind as to explicitely explain how to achieve this software hack? Please be verbose. I'm under Windows 7 64-bits. Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Just add -device usb-audio to the command line.

But be aware, with 9.0 it doesn't work, 9.1 and 9.2 show an empty desktop after a short time.
And 10.X versions have their own problems ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote:Just add -device usb-audio to the command line.

But be aware, with 9.0 it doesn't work, 9.1 and 9.2 show an empty desktop after a short time.
And 10.X versions have their own problems ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Oh wow, yep, it worked for a minute! :D The sound lags a lot tough and... yeah it freezes the whole Mac OS 9.2 emulator after a minute or two. Hope development continues on this, it's slowly getting closer to a SheepShaver replacement, but it's not there yet.

Hey, what's qemu-system-ppcw.exe compared to qemu-system-ppc.exe ?
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

I can't get to work last (2017.12.24) experimental version, looks very unstable in comparison to version from 2017.12.15. Apple Audio Extension crashes most of times on boot, but if it boots I can't get any sound from the system. When Apple Audio Extension crases QEMU it self crashes too, windows log below. If I try play sound from Sound control panel system freezes for about a minute but there is no sound coming out.
I tried to use Realtek jack output instead S/PDIF as well disable other sound devices on my Win 7 Pro x64 but no difference, Windows restored fresh yesterday from image.
System is installed new & clean, currently 9.2.2 but I tried 9.2.1 and 9.0.4. The last one freezes on desktop when trying to load cd installer.

Command Line: qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 256 -M mac99 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=..\DiskImages\Disk0.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=net0 -device sungem,netdev=net0 -sdl

QEMU crash log:
Faulting application name: qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe, version: 2.11.50.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23915, time stamp: 0x59b94f2a
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x00000000000331f2
Faulting process id: 0x14fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d37e3cdc2522d0
Faulting application path: [removed]\qemu-system-ppc-screamer.exe
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That is too bad.
Please note that you cannot mix files from earlier downloads with this one. A download into a folder of its own is best.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

That is too bad.
Please note that you cannot mix files from earlier downloads with this one. A download into a folder of its own is best.

Best,
Cat_7
Hi Cat_7,

I create folder for each version so no files are mixed. Only old files I'm using are hardfile and qemu-img.exe. Only thing I can think of are multiple music cards and script with is modified every time to new version.

Edit: I just did test on latest OSX experimental version on Sierra and behaves exactly the same as Windows build.

It must be something else. Perhaps I'm using wrong OS9 iso.

Kind Regards
Thom
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

I did some tests and I got idea what can be a problem.
When I create partition system partition it's most of cases small partition about 400MB so there is no space for virtual memory.
Today for test I've created 512MB and flew bigger disk images and sound worked.
However when virtual memory was disabled system frozen like before, no matter what size of the disk image.
So my question is whether this is qemu/driver or OS9 system issue/bug.

I wonder if anyone can confirm my discovery?

Kind Regards
Thom
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yesterday there was a post from CharlesS also making a point about virtual memory.
If sound doesn't work without VM, than that would probably be a bug, but I tested 9.04 without VM and sound worked (in Windows).
There are some issues booting 9.04 anyway: you need to click and move the mouse to get boot to advance and to get to the dekstop.
You experience these problems also with 9.1 or 9.2?

I noticed that setting memory to 64 Mb results in qemu reporting an unbootable disk image. This is not new for this screamer build :-(

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

All my recent tests are on 9.2.2 (tried 9.2.1 but no difference).
What is model of mac you using with 9.0.4 and 9.2.x? Is it mac99 for both?

P.S. One more thing, I tried to play Dark Forces and there was noticeable sound delay. I would say half second. Please note game was set to maximum details possible.
I'll try other games later to confirm it's not emulation speed issue. I'll try compare Dark Forces gameplay on QEMU to SheepShaver, perhaps on lower details as I remember maximum was not playable.

Kind Regards
Thom
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

Hi Cat_7, could you tell me which source or patches you used on the experimental builds?
I'd like to compile one on Linux.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Any development regarding SOUND SUPPORT freezing QEMU?

Note: I tested this VM thing I saw popping in this thread and elsewhere, but it's just a placebo effect to me.

1) 450MB HDD, 256MB of RAM, not enough room for VM but it's still set to ON. Works with lots of sound lag gaps, freezes after 1-2 minutes, hiding the desktop in the process.

2) 1GB HDD, 256MB of RAM, virtual memory ON and restart just to be sure it's effective: it does not change anything, it still works for 1-2 minutes with same frequent sound lag gaps and then freezes the whole QEMU, hiding the desktop as you previously mentioned.

3) 450MB or 1GB HDD, 256MB of RAM, virtual memory turned OFF and rebooted just to be sure: Works only the VERY FIRST SOUND EFFECT you play (e.g.: adjusting the volume in the control strip) it will output 0.5 second of sound and totally freeze QEMU right there, without hiding the desktop, just literally HANG while playing the very first sound. Left it there for a minute, it never came back. Tried this twice, same result both times.

So after testing all these scenarios I'm sure that virtual memory does not change anything at all regarding this sound support issue, at least not with my Gigabyte motherboard, which altough is extremely common, seems to be one of the rare motherboards for which -usbaudio sound support never worked out.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Just tested both 2 new releases from april 24th and may 4th.

April 24th works "fine", well except for the sound which only works for 30 seconds and then freezes the whole emulator, same as previous releases I guess.

May 4th does not boot at all. There is a new line character preventing the batch file (QEMU.bat) to launch correctly, but even after fixing QEMU.bat it does not go any further than:

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The april 24 build is not a "screamer" build so it doesn't support the default Mac OS audio device. Support for this device should not be confused with the USB audio option. The USB audio problems are known, so you shouldn't be using that.

Use a screamer enabled build for audio, like the dec 24 build. Only 9.1/9.2 work reliably with audio. I had best results when iTunes 2 and Quicktime 6 were installed. This build does not require the -device usb-audio on the command line.

You boot problem with the may 4 build seems to indicate that you have -boot d in the command line, but that you not have the cdrom drive entry before the disk entry in your command line.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote:Use a screamer enabled build for audio [...] This build does not require the -device usb-audio on the command line.
WOW! That's actually not written anywhere that I could find over the last year and yet I feel like this is a VERY important piece of information. It should definitely be clearer in the guide! Removing the " -device usb-audio" flag from a screamer build actually also solved QEMU completely freezing after ~30 seconds playing its first sound that I've been whining about for more than 1 year on this thread! INCREDIBLE.
Cat_7 wrote:You boot problem with the may 4 build seems to indicate that you have -boot d in the command line, but that you not have the cdrom drive entry before the disk entry in your command line.
Whoops! That's actually exactly what happened, sorry for having been distracted, it now boots properly with "-boot c" instead of "-boot d". This happened because that's how the batch file came and I misread that flag at first :D

ALSO, why are the newer builds not coming as a screamer EXE?

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Removing the " -device usb-audio" flag from a screamer build actually also solved QEMU completely freezing after ~30 seconds playing its first sound that I've been whining about for more than 1 year on this thread!
It simply never crossed my mind that one could confuse built-in support for audio with the use of an additional device. Perhaps we grew up with this, and you do not visit enough ;-)
ALSO, why are the newer builds not coming as a screamer EXE?
Because that would require a different .bat file. And to be consistent, it would also require a renamed bios file because the bios is specific for these screamer-enabled builds.
Just use a descriptive folder name to keep them apart?

Hopefully we get to the point where every build has the screamer enabled by default. But we are not there yet.
(still problems with sound in screamer builds when running any of the OSX guests.)

ps: your info here https://www.macintoshrepository.org/964 ... -0-to-10-5 could be improved with respect to networking. As the sungem network device is now supported in all current builds, the realtek stuff is no longer needed. You can simply replace rtl8139 with sungem in your bat files.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote:ps: your info here https://www.macintoshrepository.org/964 ... -0-to-10-5 could be improved with respect to networking. As the sungem network device is now supported in all current builds, the realtek stuff is no longer needed. You can simply replace rtl8139 with sungem in your bat files.
Yes, everything on that website could be improved, really, so much information to put in it's overwhelming BUT... YOU can help do it, anybody can! Click the EDIT link at the top of any page and break your typing skills loose! (* Sign in first)

It's funny tough because yesterday that conversation emerged and the outcome was that realtek worked better for him as opposed to sungem, at least that's what I understood from the conversation. But honestly, I almost always end up referring people to read the guide on this forum anyway, because it's almost fool proof, all information on here is up to date and correct, except a few missing details that I ended up discovering by myself that were not written anywhere in the guide :P

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It's funny tough because yesterday that conversation emerged and the outcome was that realtek worked better for him as opposed to sungem,
I don't think so. The build used was quite old, so it probably doesn't even include the sungem device. They both work, the only (but big) difference is the fact that the sungem doesn't require installation.

Best,
Cat_7
KrondaliX
Space Cadet

Post by KrondaliX »

Tested the lastest April 2018 Final Build.
Internet works no need to install and that even uses my PCI-Express Wi-Fi adapter !! Amazing.
I was even able to network Host and Guest so it's coming close to Sheepshaver (slowly but greatly :) )

I was able to get sound working on os 9.2.1 but it's choppy. Any workaround for that ?

Thanks !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To get the best sound support currently available, you should use the latest build with support for the screamer sound device.
Note that you then do not need -device usb-audio on the command line.

This is the latest experimental build with screamer support:
http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/wi ... 122017.zip

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

THE SOUND WORKS IN JUNE 26TH EXPERIMENTAL RELEASE!!! Been waiting for this version for almost 2 years now. That is incredible, congratulations to whoever fixed this! Am I awake or is this a dream?! AT LAST!

MINOR annoyances I can live with, but would be nice in the next release:
1) CONTROL + ALT doesn't release the mouse cursor out of QEMU anymore. I see it's now CONTROL + ALT + G... but why so complicated?!
2a) Whoever made the WINDOWS KEY emulate the COMMAND KEY is nice, but couldn't it be ALT instead like SheepShaver? It makes the Windows start menu pop up every time I press it, super annoying.
2b) Can't copy/paste easily in Mac OS 9.2 using QEMU, when pressing WINDOWS KEY + ALT + C it does work, but it's complicated. Would prefer ALT + C like in SheepShaver. Also the Windows start menu would shut the F up if we could stop using the WINDOWS KEY.
3) Sometimes while using QEMU with Mac OS 9.2 the mouse cursor jumps to a corner or the bottom of the screen.
4) Speed improvement
5) QEMU in general: In the console window (CONTROL + ALT + 2) it would be nice to have copy/paste support!