About QEMU, a PPC Mac emulator (among many others) for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:41 am
Do you mean the patched bios needed to run Morphos? That is not part of the official source. If you want to run Morphos, you'll have use the bios linked to above.
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:18 pm
Nevermind, forgot to extract the pc-bios folder from the zip.
FYI, what do you mean by "patched bios" ?
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:03 pm
Read the 3 posts above your own post.
They talk about running Morphos with Qemu, and the specific rom that is needed to run it.
That's why I thought you asked about that specific bios. It never appeared to me that you might have not extracted the full download.
Fri May 03, 2019 11:48 pm
I am glad that the new official source build fixes the jumpy mouse issue to the point that Mac OS X Server 1.0 is actually usable.
But there is still a lot of work to do in order to bring the Windows builds on par with the other platforms.
Fri May 17, 2019 4:33 am
I am installing mac os x 10.0.4k78 to qemu, but when the emulator started to install mac os x the mouse did not move and I want to know why the mouse doesn't move, do you have any solutions?Thank you.
Fri May 17, 2019 5:10 am
My first guess would be that you need to use -M mac99 on your command line. If you already have that,
please paste your command line in your response.
Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am
Hi my dear Cat_7 thank you for replying me that,you are right,change the command line "via=pmu" to "via=cuda" will be suitable for mac os x 10.0 and 10.1,thank you again my dear Cat_7 !
Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 am
Dear Cat_7 now I have a new problem,when I changed the command line "-boot d" to "-boot c" but the mac os x 10.0 system won't be start from the installed .img file and the emulator screen prints out "Trying hd:,\\:tbxi..." to the screen and it will like this all the time without any changes,can you help me? Thanks.
I have solve this problem by reversing the two command line "-drive file=MacOS9.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^" and
"-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^ “,and the mac os x system will be boot from the .img file normally.
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:34 pm
Why there is no official source Windows build for QEMU 4.1?
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:47 pm
Basically because non experimental Windows builds can be had from here:https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/
I nevertheless built a qemu-system-ppc from 4.1 source. Find in the first post in this thread.
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:46 pm
2019-09-06 build still has no sound, just like the 2019-04-24 build.
Tough, 2019-08-23-screamer has working sound. Works great (like 2019-02-12). Why do working sound builds have a different .exe? Why not just always have it "screamer" enabled?
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm
Screamer development happened in parallel with some of the other features that have been added since 2015, and there are still some stability issues. As far as I know, Screamer isn't being integrated into the official releases until those stability issues are resolved.
So if you want something with QEMU's reputation of stability, for example if you're running a server, it's best to use the official build. If you want audio support, use the Screamer build, but don't expect it to run indefinitely or not have the odd runtime issue.
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 am
Alright, but... meh, the last screamer build works fine here actually! I find it stable. It never crashed on me for 1 hour use.
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:48 pm
I see there are many improvments here. Sound is working great but the emulation with screamer version is kind of slow... Not a big deal.
I have trouble with Networking for Sharing files/folders through the host.
So i followed the tutorial regarding Thursby DAVE 6.2.1. Changed netdrv method for tap, i got internet working and the Qemu IP is pinging through CMD from Windows.
So the step with DAVE is when i have to select it from Chooser in the Apple menu, the wait watch cursor is standing here and i cannot do anything else. I have to shut down and restart the Qemu to work again.
So is there any step to do for the sharing to work properly ? I have OS 9.2.2 using qemu 4.1 screamer with sound support.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 pm
I'm away from my windows machine, so can't take a look a this right now.
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 pm
I'm trying to build linux screamer binary from sources but when I build it version of it is the same as last time 4.1.50.
Is this current method/source of building it?
git clone -b screamer https://github.com/mcayland/qemu qemu-screamer
./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu" --enable-gtk --enable-sdl
I would like to build both, screamer and ATI version.
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:25 am
Yes, what you downloaded is the latest screamer code. I'm hoping it will be rebased on the current qemu source code. There are some patches in the pipeline, so I will create a new build once these have landed.
To get ATI support you need to build an openbios with some patches applied. You can find these patches on the openbios mailing list.
Depending on your host, you might need to cross-compile openbios. It requires a ppc/elf compiler to build.
There are instructions here for OSX host: https://www.openfirmware.info/How_to_bu ... n_Mac_OS_X
On Linux host, you can install the powerpc-linux-gnu compiler provided by your package manager.
As there has been no recent development related to ATI in openbios, you can just as well use the openbios version we provide as you will end up with the same
As for Qemu, it should already have the required code to enable the ATI card incorporated.
Please see the read me in our experimental ati-enabled build for how to run qemu with the ati card.
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:35 pm
im back after long time to check progress, thanks for continual effort.
I have few questions:
- Which versions of Mac are now working with networking?
- Which versions are now working with sound? I saw some Screamer builds.
- If im not wrong still no 3D gamming?
- What about 2D games is now possible on fast machine my them on OS 9 or 10?
- I all tutorials are qcow fixed size images, there are annoying from space point of view, is working for Mac some classic QEMU growable disk image format?
- I have problems with networking on windows and i have bad memory. If nim not fine with SLIPR. What i have to god install OpenVPN bridge connection with lan and add this parameter -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net tap,ifname=NameOfBridge its right?
Problem is that im getting error ((An unexpected error occured while configuring the Network Bridge.) during bridge creation - its created, but networking is working well. I have installed also Vmware, Virtualbox and even Checkpoint VPN - which all have networking adapters.
- How i should now adjust my G4 10.4 machine command line, i saw that "wip" text was removed, something else?
qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -g 1280x1024x32 -m 1024 -M mac99p -cpu G3 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -drive "file=./HDDs/HDD-System10-4-G3.img,media=disk,format=raw,index=1,copy-on-read=off" -net user -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user
- I installed machines with QEMU 2.6, make sense to reinstall them?
Last edited by ruthan
on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:13 pm
As of 4.1:
2. See the ongoing discussion threads. I won't update anything here, as it'll be out of date shortly anyway. Needless to say, you'll likely get *something* if you attempt to boot an OS with a recent Screamer build.
3. Correct. There's now an ATi Rage stub checked in, but it doesn't actually support anything yet.
4. Yes. Even 3D games that have the option to use a software renderer (Bugdom/Nanosaur/etc.) now work.
5. I personally create sparse bundles on the host, pre-mount them, and then pipe my disk to the mount point as a raw image. QCOW growable also works.
6. You probably don't need to install OpenVPN; the only reason to install it is to get TAP-Windows installed on your device; this is already done by some of your other networking systems. So you just need to go to the network pane, set up a new bridge, set up a TAP device, and then add the TAP device and your physical device to the bridge. At this point, networking should work *for TCP/IP and UDP*. Unfortunately, TAP-Windows bridges don't appear to support all IP frames, so you can't route anything other than TCP and UDP over the bridge. You *may* be able to get around this by adding all the devices you want to communicate with to the same network, so the bridge doesn't drop the packets as they leave the bridge.
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 pm
Thanks for detailed reply.
1.Any recommendation which one is most stable or best for even limited gaming?
4. What about speed, its playable? I'll be very grateful for the longer list of working games.
6. Yeah i know, but i did not found standalone TAP package without OpenVPN, so it so easiest way to install it.
BTW i dunno if it problem client or server part or just implementation, but one of my client migrated from OpenVPN to Checkpoint and VPN is now much faster.
How exactly to setup New Bridge in Windows 10? Is there other way that just select 2 connection in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and click on Bridge?
In this step i get error, but its created. By propeties of bridge i can select lots of things.
I select IntelLAN - which im using and TAP adapter, there is listed every connection on my machine.
Im not sure about next list - This connection uses the following items, there is lots of stuff:
-Client for Microsoft Networks
-Vmware Bridge protocol
- File and Printer Sharing for MS networks
- Microsoft MAC Bridge
- VirtualBox NDIS Bridged Networking Driver
- Qos Packet Schedulde
- Bridge Driver
- Internet Protocol Verios 4 - TCP
- Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol
- Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver
- Internet Protocol Version 6 - TCP, im not using IP V6 at home
- Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder
- Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
- Hyper-V Extensive Virtual Switch
I just need enable internet for QEMU machine and see my Windows network shares would be nice too.
Bridge is still in Identifing state.. but status show send and received bytes and internet is working.. before i did the same, but had no more Internet.. i dunno what is not changed, or if is somehow cluncky.. I did it 1st time, i go not error during creation of bridge, but after that i removed it and tried it maybe 5 times, rebooted between no luck, until now.. I dont error during creation again, but it speed to working, at least for main machine, i have to test it in QEMU.
IntelLAN connection - now have Status - Enabled, Bridged.
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 pm
The connection won't show as working until you bring up the QEMU system.
For more configuration details you can check here: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... TAPDrivers
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:07 am
Ahh that is problem, thanks.
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:06 am
Few questions about Classic MacOS:
1) Its possible make working Classic MacOS working about part of 10.4, installation or its better install standalone machine?
2) I have this problem on real Mac, i install last classic 9.2 , but i find out that games are wanting earlie versio 9.1 or 9.0 its possible to uninstall 9.2 and install older version?
If yes, how to do it?
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.