Updating index

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Updating index

Post by starfiretbt »

Every so often I get the message "updating index of "Mac 9.2.1"." Why does this happen, does it need to happen, and can I stop it from happening?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Updating index

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:04 am Every so often I get the message "updating index of "Mac 9.2.1"." Why does this happen, does it need to happen, and can I stop it from happening?
Do you mean inside the OS you're getting the notification that the Sherlock search index is being updated in the background?

You can disable Sherlock search indexing if you don't want this to happen. But then, of course, you lose your Sherlock search indices.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

Yes, I open up Qemu and occasionally it will start indexing my os. Your saying that I have to disable Sherlock and lose Sherlock, Sherlock is used for searching correct? There is no other way to search?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:59 pm Yes, I open up Qemu and occasionally it will start indexing my os. Your saying that I have to disable Sherlock and lose Sherlock, Sherlock is used for searching correct? There is no other way to search?
Sherlock works by running a background process that indexes the drive's contents. Then when you search, you can search using tags to quickly pull up files (or Internet content) based on rich content from within the files.

If you disable this, you can still use the Finder's Find command to search for file names; you just won't be able to search by content anymore.

The middle ground is to manually run an indexing session when you want to, and then the results of that are what Sherlock will use for searching -- which may not line up with what you actually have on disk.