Set CPU Type

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MindPainter
Space Cadet

Set CPU Type

Post by MindPainter »

Hi,

I am using the latest release of Qemu provided by Cat_7 on El Capitan.
OS 9 installation worked fine, now I am trying to install 10.0 to 10.4, so I am having all OS X releases
virtualised, alongside with the ones I have in VMWare fusion (10.5 - 10.11).

So I wondered if I could — alongside with the amount of ram — set the speed of the cpu, so I viewed the help
section for qemu-system-ppc and saw that you can set the cpu type. I've viewed the list
of possible cpu types to use and gave it a try, with no luck.
As soon as I try to boot, the Qemu window opens up but stays black instead of moving to the
light yellow bios screen.

Is there a special way I have to use this command?
My intention was to set it the same type as the 1.25 GHz MDD Powermac Quicksilver. And since
there is the -smp command which gives me the ability to set a number of cores I could maybe make it Dual Prozessor, right?

Would this method even have an impact on the speed of the virtual machine if done right?

Thank you for your help!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Set CPU Type

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is a limited set of options when setting the cpu (G3 or G4, or corresponding numbers). I doubt if anyone has an overview of all types that might work with certain version of Mac OS(X) The G3 might be faster as it might not include the altivec instructions found in the G4. The speed is hard coded in qemu, as is the type of machine. That said, qemu does not perfectly emulate a certain type of mac.

Best,
Cat_7
darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Post by darthnvader »

I was also able to boot the 604e, but other than that, only the G3 and G4.

ppc64 G5 will boot to the Apple logo( BootX, but hang before the kernel loads.
MindPainter
Space Cadet

Post by MindPainter »

Yeah I've also found out that there are quite a few that can be used. But I already realised that
at the end it's qemu that decides how fast the cpu should be for the specific OS you want to
start up. For Panther it gave me a 1.6 GHz and for Tiger a 1.4 GHz processor.
(Same machine and cpu setup)
But both VMs seemed to be equally fast.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, ultimately your host determines the speed. Qemu is not that fast that it need throttling yet ;-)

Best,
Cat_7