Problems installing OS X 10.0 and 10.1

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MindPainter
Space Cadet

Problems installing OS X 10.0 and 10.1

Post by MindPainter »

Hello,

when trying to install Cheetah and Puma I run into problems booting from the cd-image.

At first everything seems to be ok, as I see the happy mac icon, then it suddenly starts to show
a huge load of commands running over the screen. At some point the text stops running – and
that's the end of the story. I've already tried different disk images and Qemu versions from this forum– all showing
me the same result.

The third picture above shows the part, where it freezes.

In this example I am using the latest build provided by Cat_7 on El Capitan, trying to install Cheetah.
My command file looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L ./pc-bios/ -boot d -M mac99 -m 1024 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -drive file=/Volumes/VM\ Drive/Virtual\ Machines/Operating\ Systems/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.0/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ CD.toast,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=/Volumes/VM\ Drive/Virtual\ Machines/Operating\ Systems/Clean\ VMs/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.0.img,format=raw,media=disk

BTW:

When booting up Jaguar(10.2), I get the same. First I see the grey apple logo, then a lot
of commands floating up, then the desktop. Seems it does it instead of showing me
the running gear underneath the logo. Same thing when installed it - only that it worked for this version.
Is there a way to fix this, since I've seen other users on youtube, that did not have those
problems using the same Qemu build.

Thanks in advance!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Problems installing OS X 10.0 and 10.1

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You might need to add -cpu G3 to the command line for 10.0 and 10.1. Qemu defaults to using the G4 processor.
If you want to get rid of the verbose startup you can remove -prom-env "boot-args=-v" from the command line.

Best,
Cat_7
MindPainter
Space Cadet

Post by MindPainter »

Thank you for the fast reply!

Adding -cpu G3 didn't do the trick.
With verbose enabled it got stuck at the same part, and without verbose startup it shows the beach
ball, which stops spinning at some point.

I've tried other cpu settings, like they're listed in qemu-system-ppc -cpu help, with no luck either.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Which qemu build are you using exactly?

Best,
Cat_7
MindPainter
Space Cadet

Post by MindPainter »

Qemu64bit-OSX-11022017, the one you posted a few months ago.
When I run the command file and go to "About Qemu" it says version 2.8.50 (v2.8.0-1187-g98b2fae).

Thank you.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Booting and installing 10.0/10.1 will require the inclusion of support for a vga driver in Qemu.
The code for that is available, but I'm waiting for it to be included in the official source code before creating a new build.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

For clarity, that basically means using the August 2016 build with VGA support.

Also, make sure you're using a generic install CD; some of those errors looked to me like you might be using a machine-specific install CD, which may not work.
MindPainter
Space Cadet

Post by MindPainter »

Thank you adespoton, I've tried out the August 2016 build – in fact I've tried all the older builds –
with the same result.
The install cd image must be a generic one, since I could perfectly install it on my G3 iBook after
burning it. I've also tried different cd images, the first ones I downloaded from winworldpc.com and a few others
from macintoshgarden. And with all of them I get the exact same problem.