Qemu OS 9 Setup Confusion....

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Qemu OS 9 Setup Confusion....

Post by riven2000 »

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up an OS 9.2.2 VM in Snow Leopard, and am really confused by some of the instructions for Qemu:

"• Create an empty disk image with qemu-img.exe. Open a command prompt and navigate to your Qemu folder.
qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS9.2.img"

Open a command prompt _and_ navigate to my Qemu folder? When I run qemu-img.exe, the prompt window says:

c-174-52-180-29:~ Jeff$ /Users/Jeff/Desktop/QEMU/qemu-img ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout
[Process completed]

Is this supposed to create a disk image somewhere? I'm not a programmer, so some of the wording on this is confusing. Also, when I try to create the qemu.command file in TextEdit, it won't let me just save it with a .command extension. Sorry, I'm a bit new to this. Any help would be appreciated. :mrgreen:
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu OS 9 Setup Confusion....

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

From what you write I understand you are trying to run qemu-img.exe in OSX? This looks like a windows executable.
You should run qemu-img for OSX.

You can also save the qemu.command file with another extension and change the extension later.

That said, I don know whether the qemu for OSX download we provide can run in Snow Leopard. Never tried that.

Best,
Cat_7
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

The instructions I was using are from the Mac OS X link under "Getting Started" on the Qemu page - http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx. I thought it was strange too using a Windows file, but that's what it says.
I don know whether the qemu for OSX download we provide can run in Snow Leopard.
I thought Qemu was supposed to run on Intel Macs.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The instructions I was using are from the Mac OS X link under "Getting Started" on the Qemu page
Yes, I saw that error. I fixed it.
What I meant with qemu perhaps not running on Snow Leopard was that it is not guaranteed that software that was compiled in El Capitan will run on Snow Leopard. But as I said, I never tried as I do not have a Snow Leopard installation available.
Perhaps someone with Snow Leopard installed can help.

Best,
Cat_7
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

I thought Qemu required 10.5 Leopard minimum. Sorry, as I said, I'm new to this, but this is getting really confusing. I'm on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro, and want to run a VM of OS 9. The instructions seem to indicate that's what it does.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Each version of the OS can be compiled against specific development kits. The current builds of qemu were compiled against 10.11, and so should run on 10.11 and 10.12, but may use instructions that weren't available to earlier versions of OS X. Since 10.6 is now quite architecturally different from 10.11 (five versions' worth of changes between them), it is possible that something may not work. But we won't know until you try, unless there was a feature compiled in that is known NOT to work, in which case it just won't work.

Does that make sense?
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

It does (and thank you!), it's just that the results I got were confusing. I tried running the Qemu-img file, but Terminal said it was an illegal operation - maybe because it's a newer version? Is there a set of instructions and an earlier version of Qemu that would be better for 10.6? I can look around on the site of I need to, but the different versions don't say which OS they're meant for.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to run qemu-img, the Terminal gives me this message:

c-174-52-180-29:~ Jeff$ /Users/Jeff/Desktop/QEMU/qemu-img ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

[Process completed]

The instructions aren't very clear on what to do.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Your best option on 10.6 is probably to install Homebrew, or MacPorts if Homebrew won't install on an OS that old, and then use one of those systems to compile and install qemu. That way, you'll be compiling it locally, so you know that either the compile will fail, or it will work on your system.

To use Homebrew or MacPorts, you'll first need to install XCode if you haven't done so already, and ensure the command line tools optional install from XCode has been installed.

IIRC, the 10.6 XCode is available from developer.apple.com as a stand-alone installer (later versions are available through the App Store).
riven2000
Inquisitive Elf

Post by riven2000 »

Sounds good, thanks. I'm not really up on compiling though. Are there some instructions I can look up for Homebrew and MacPorts?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

https://brew.sh/

https://www.macports.org/

MacPorts' current porting only supports from 10.9 on up, so their version of qemu that runs on 10.6 likely won't support OS 9.

Homebrew seems to be working on 10.6 with some tweaking:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8929 ... ac-os-10-6