Help a noob stuck on Qemu installation

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Citroenaap
Student Driver

Help a noob stuck on Qemu installation

Post by Citroenaap »

Dear all,

I am a noob, succesfully did sheepshaver but it wasn't perfect for my problem. so now the next project, Qemu.

Next problem ad hand, MacOS unable to find a usable nuram partition - using offset 0x1400

During installation i need to open my "favorite text editor" ?(normal textdocument) the one without a font. Then i need to save it as a .bat file with that one line in it. First off i can't create a .bat file, it stays a text document. Second off why do i need to create one when there is one already in the folder? Fixed this paragraph.

hope someone can help me out here!

gr.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Help a noob stuck on Qemu installation

Post by adespoton »

The NVRam error is a non-fatal issue that you'll see on all builds of QEMU PPC. You can safely ignore it :)

The instructions regarding creating a .bat file are for the Windows build of QEMU. Are you running QEMU on Windows?
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

1) Which text editor did you use?

2) If you are using Notepad, make sure you save it without an extension by changing it in the save prompt.
Citroenaap
Student Driver

Post by Citroenaap »

yes i am running it on windows

.bat file worked out in the end
Citroenaap
Student Driver

Post by Citroenaap »

Nieuw explanaition of where i am stuck:

C:\Users\Remko\Qemu test 1>qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -m 256 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=MacOS9.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -sdl
Trying to write invalid spr 0 (0x000) at 00f110b4
Trying to read invalid spr 0 (0x000) at 00f110bc
qemu-system-ppc.exe: Trying to execute code outside RAM or ROM at 0x12181020
This usually means one of the following happened:

(1) You told QEMU to execute a kernel for the wrong machine type, and it crashed on startup (eg trying to run a raspberry pi kernel on a versatilepb QEMU machine)
(2) You didn't give QEMU a kernel or BIOS filename at all, and QEMU executed a ROM full of no-op instructions until it fell off the end
(3) Your guest kernel has a bug and crashed by jumping off into nowhere

This is almost always one of the first two, so check your command line and that you are using the right type of kernel for this machine.
If you think option (3) is likely then you can try debugging your guest with the -d debug options; in particular -d guest_errors will cause the log to include a dump of the guest register state at this point.

Execution cannot continue; stopping here.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You are using the default qemu bat file to start qemu. The filenames in that bat file are examples.
Do you have the file MacOS9.2.iso in your qemu folder? And where did you get it from?

This error normally occurs when you try to start a not supported Mac OS version, particularly when you try to boot a version 9.0 of Mac OS.

Best,
Cat_7
Citroenaap
Student Driver

Post by Citroenaap »

that is exactly what i tryed. gonna try with a new file from mac repository
Citroenaap
Student Driver

Post by Citroenaap »

Got a new version and now it works, next up installing software and connecting a usb drive