No Valid State by load or init--program

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mcbeav
Space Cadet

No Valid State by load or init--program

Post by mcbeav »

I am trying to install OS X Cheetah 10.0 in QEMU. I am running on a 2011 Mac Mini with a 2.7GHz Core i7, 16GB of Ram and I am running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. I am using QEMU version 19-05-2017 I got from the link: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 102#p52102. I tried follow the basic instructions from the page: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx , I just renamed my Cheetah disc iso to match. Everytime I try to run the qemu.command file I receive the error: "no valid state has be set by load or init-program" and a screenshot is found here: https://imgur.com/a/HgrRS . I really don't know where to go here. I have been messing with this for a few hours. Initially I tried to install OS 9, but I ended up using SheepShaver as it was much easier to get a handle on things. Can anyone at least point me in the right direction as to where to go to get OS X Cheetah installed into QEMU?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: No Valid State by load or init--program

Post by adespoton »

10.0 should work on the May build; however, the September build may work slightly better. That's the one I'm using.

You'll need to set up that command file to ensure that you're booting from the CD, not the HD, and that the CD image is loaded first, before the HD image. After that, you should be good to go; just remember to change your boot option back to c from d after you've installed, and remove the CD image from your command line list.
mcbeav
Space Cadet

Post by mcbeav »

Thanks for the quick reply! So, I am going to switch builds first, how can i be sure the CD image is loaded before the HD image?

This is what I am using, and I am having no luck

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=Cheetah.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=Cheetah.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd

any chance you could paste what is in your qemu.command file?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

My script is really customized, so it'd probably be confusing to paste, but your basics all look correct there. -boot d sets it to boot off of CD, and you've got the CDROM listed before the HD in your command line, so that's set up the way it should be.

What happens if you don't use -L pc-bios ? Likewise, do things change if you remove the -device entries?

The only other thing I can think is that the Cheetah.iso image isn't actually bootable.
mcbeav
Space Cadet

Post by mcbeav »

It looks like it was the ISO image. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. I got everything working except for the keyboard does not input anything. I am using a bluetooth keyboard. Anywhere I can find more configuration options for QEMU?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You could try the qemu website... but your options for Mac computers are to use ADB or USB inputs; the actual hardware shouldn't matter. So try with or without the -device values added to toggle between presenting your keyboard as an ADB keyboard or a USB keyboard.
mcbeav
Space Cadet

Post by mcbeav »

thanks for all the help. So I partitioned the drive, and installed Cheetah, and changed the command file from d to c, but now when I try to boot i just get to the yellow QEMU screen and it's stuck on Trying hd:,\\tbxi... the application then freezes as far as I can tell and I have to force quit. I let it run for about 10 minutes but no luck. Any ideas? My command file now looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

qemu-system-ppc -L openbios-ppc -boot c -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=Cheetah.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=OSXCheetah10.0.img,format=raw,media=disk
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your next step is simple and was already explained above:
If you want to boot from hd image, the -boot d has to be changed to -boot c AND the hd image has to be mentioned first in the command line. You missed that second step ;-)

qemu-system-ppc -L openbios-ppc -boot c -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=OSXCheetah10.0.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Cheetah.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

should get you booting. If you want, you can also remove -drive entry for the cd image as it has served its purpose.

Best,
Cat_7