Mouse and keyboard are blocked

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

HOO
Space Cadet

Mouse and keyboard are blocked

Post by HOO »

Hello,

I have successfully installed the systems 9.2; 10.0, 10.2, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 installed in QEMU.

The host PC is operated with Windows 8.1 / 64-bit.

Now I want to install Leopard 10.5 in QEMU.

For this I use the experimental version of 08-2016.

The start takes place with:

"qemu-system-ppc64-wip -hda C:\QEMU\OS-1005-HDD.qcow2 -bios openbios-ppc-wip -L pc-bios -M mac99p -cpu G4 -m 1024 -device usb-kbd -device usb-mouse -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -cdrom C:\QEMU\macOS105A.iso -boot d"

or with:

"qemu-system-ppc64-wip -hda C:\QEMU\OS-1005-HDD.qcow2 -bios openbios-ppc-wip -L pc-bios -M mac99p -cpu G4 -m 1024 -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -cdrom C:\QEMU\macOS105A.iso -boot d"

In both cases, the machine starts up into the OSX installation. The language selection can not be entered. Mouse and keyboard are blocked.

Is there a solution for this?

Thank you and best regards,
Thomas!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mouse and keyboard are blocked

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You should not use qemu-system-ppc64-wip.exe, but qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe.
This executable is also for 64bit windows, but provides a 32bit ppc for Leopard.

This is the suggested command line in qemu.bat from the August 2016 experimental build:
qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M mac99p -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl -net nic,model=sungem -net user -drive file=c:\Qemu\Leopard.img,format=raw,media=disk

Mouse and keyboard work during installation in my place.

Best,
Cat_7
HOO
Space Cadet

Post by HOO »

Hi,

thanks for the information. I will test it in the next days and give a feedback.

Best regards, Thomas!
HOO
Space Cadet

Post by HOO »

Hi,

Sorry for the long waiting time.
I have done many tests. Erbenis is always the same.
In the first graphical installation window of 10.5 the mouse jumps on the first click and can then no longer be moved. The keyboard only responds to the Tab key, otherwise no other input is possible.

To get a Leopard 10.5 up and running, I experimented with iATKOS V7. Even so, there are significant problems and you need many tests to abort a running environment.

Here are the command lines, so the system works in my environment.

For the installation:
qemu-system-i386 -hda C:\ QEMU-OS-10-5\OS-1005-HDD.qcow2 -m 1024 -netdev user, id = network0 -device rtl8139, netdev = network0 -cdrom C:\QEMU-OS-10-5\macOS1005-iATKOS.iso -boot d

For the business:
qemu-system-i386 -hda C:\ QEMU-OS-10-5\OS-1005-HDD.qcow2 -usbdevice keyboard -usbdevice mouse -m 1536 -M pc-q35-2.8 -netdev user, id = network0 -device rtl8139, netdev = network0 -cdrom C:\QEMU-OS-10-5\ macOS1005-iATKOS.iso

To problems leads to the use of PS/2 mouse and keyboard after the installation, I had to switch to the USB device. The other emulated chipset in the machine "pc-q35-2.8" against the standard machine lead to a start after the installation, instead of a crash.

During the iATKOS installation, you have to make various adjustments to the standard. As boot loader you have to select the "Chameleon 1" the "9.5.0 voodoo kernel" and "voodoo PS/2 mouse + keyboard" should be used. So it worked with me then after many attempts.

The experiments with Leopard in the ppc emulator I have given up for the time being.

Best regards, Thomas!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Our forum focuses at running the old PowerPC and 68XXX Macintosh operating systems in emulators. So we have no experience with running intel versions of OSX in 386 qemu.
Thanks for the report on how to get that going.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Macs that came with Leopard (10.5) were Intel Macs and those came with the Intel version disks only, but the retail version of Leopard was a "universal" release that could install Leopard on both PPC and Intel. Snow Leopard (10.6) was the first Intel only version.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thomas, which host configuration are you using? I haven't been able to get qemu i386 to run Tiger or Leopard on my modern Macs under OS X yet, but have been able to under Linux via kvm.
HOO
Space Cadet

Post by HOO »

adespoton,

i use a PC with CPU Intel i5-4590 and 32GB RAM. The OS is Windows 8.1. The "qemu-system-i386.exe" is from 20.04.2017.

Best regards, Thomas!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... so you're not using KVM for the hypervisor.