256 colors *and* sound support?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

almeath
Mac Mechanic

256 colors *and* sound support?

Post by almeath »

Is it currently possible to get 256 color mode and sound support working in QEMU at the same time?

I can get 256 colors to work using the latest 16-09-2017 build in conjunction with the 'qemu_vga_256.ndrv' mentioned in this thread: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=9518

Sound support works fine using the 21-12-2016 build but it does not seem to recognize the 'qemu_vga_256.ndrv' file despite using the same settings as the newer build.

Perhaps this needs a custom compile but I am nowhere near that level of ability yet, having just started to experiment with QEMU.

I have not yet tested any games that recognize incorrect color depth and force a change. Many older games were not programmed with that level of functionality and so an enforced depth of millions will render them impossible to play. I am also not sure if the lack of other color depths in the monitors control panel means that any build of QEMU with the standard VGA driver will not allow an application or game to forcibly lower the color depth?
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Re: 256 colors *and* sound support?

Post by almeath »

I see I overlooked the 06-07-2017 build with both sound and resolution / depth switching. I will try that now and see how I go.

I do have a question regarding resolution though - does anyone know if there is an instruction I can put in the qemu.command file that will force a start up in both full screen mode and use 'zoom to fit' at the same time?

I see that I can force the resolution I want, but it leaves black space around the edges and does not zoom. It is a pain to start up then have to manually select two menu options to get to the mode I want. Any advice would be appreciated. :smile: