"There were errors installing the software" in X 10.2

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ACoolUsername
Space Cadet

"There were errors installing the software" in X 10.2

Post by ACoolUsername »

I tried QEMU for the first time. I installed 9.2.2 and it went successfully. However I tried installing OS X 10.2 on a clean, 60 GB HD image, and most of the installation went fine, but when I attempted to install the software on that image, I got a "There were errors installing the software, please try installing again"

This is my qemu.bat:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=Panther1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=Panther2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOS10.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: "There were errors installing the software" in X 10.2

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you use disk utility to partition and format the disk image before installing?
Sometimes restarting after partitioning can help to install successfully.

Best,
Cat_7
ACoolUsername
Space Cadet

Post by ACoolUsername »

Yes, I used DU to partition& mount the disk.I double checked this time and it still gave be the same error.
mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

From memory whilst working on the QEMU macio code, early versions of MacOS X suffer from the old 32-bit limitation i.e. your OS has to be installed within the first 8GB of the disk. Not sure if there were any other restrictions on additional partitions or drives but I definitely recall a few guides around suggesting a maximum partition size of 6-7GB for installation.
ACoolUsername
Space Cadet

Post by ACoolUsername »

Hmm. I'll try that.

Edit: I used an 8GB and a 4GB disk and it gave the same error.

It gives the error message after the "Preparing the Disk" phase.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah; try formatting the disk image prior to attempting to install on it. I've never had success letting setup prepare the disk itself. Note that it wants the old-school Apple partitioning system and will want to install OS 9 drivers in the driver partition. If the driver partition isn't set up/isn't set up correctly, it will fail setup.