QEMU-PPC stayed on OpenBIOS screen.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacPlussed
Inquisitive Elf

QEMU-PPC stayed on OpenBIOS screen.

Post by MacPlussed »

Hi I have been a QEMU user for a long time. I have not seen this error even once. Could you tell me how I can solve it?

If it is because of the codes I wrote, will you say something because it is very important for me:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env boot-args=-v -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true -boot d -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Last edited by Cat_7 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit reason: removed link below picture.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: QEMU-PPC stayed on OpenBIOS screen.

Post by adespoton »

That error has been on the QEMU-PPC console since at least the beginning of OS 9 support -- I seem to recall it even on the old builds with the inverted SDL color palette. It's documented; don't worry unduly about it. There's no dedicated NVRAM partition created at this point, so the emulator properly falls back to using a space at 1400h.
MacPlussed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MacPlussed »

adespoton wrote:That error has been on the QEMU-PPC console since at least the beginning of OS 9 support -- I seem to recall it even on the old builds with the inverted SDL color palette. It's documented; don't worry unduly about it. There's no dedicated NVRAM partition created at this point, so the emulator properly falls back to using a space at 1400h.
It's been going too long this thing never goes away. :shock:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The problem you're having occurs after the error message; the error message is expected but the pause after the fact is the real problem. The two aren't related.

Your config line seems fine, assuming your install CD image and target image exist where listed. Are you using an OpenBIOS and VGA driver file that are compatible with your Feb 22 build of QEMU?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I assume you are trying to run a qemu build you downloaded from our forum. Then your command line has errors:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env boot-args=-v -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true -boot d -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
It should be:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -boot d -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Notice the -L pc-bios to point to the pc-bios folder, and the correct "" around the -prom-env parameters.

Best,
Cat_7
MacPlussed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MacPlussed »

Cat_7 wrote:I assume you are trying to run a qemu build you downloaded from our forum. Then your command line has errors:

It should be:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -boot d -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Notice the -L pc-bios to point to the pc-bios folder, and the correct "" around the -prom-env parameters.

Best,
Cat_7
Thank you very very very much. It Works. :wink: