WHY QEMU is the most slowest running program?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacPlussed
Inquisitive Elf

WHY QEMU is the most slowest running program?

Post by MacPlussed »

I was installing Mac OS 9.1. But why QEMU works very slowly and spends time. I am using 512 MB of RAM as memory. But QEMU is still running very slowly. I am using QEMU's latest Windows 64-bit program.
Here is my new Code:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -boot d -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: WHY QEMU is the most slowest running program?

Post by adespoton »

Is the host computer using a Celeron CPU? Is it an older processor?

The Windows build is known to be slower than the Linux and Mac builds; it also doesn't perform very well on older CPUs with less cache.
MacPlussed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MacPlussed »

adespoton wrote:Is the host computer using a Celeron CPU? Is it an older processor?

The Windows build is known to be slower than the Linux and Mac builds; it also doesn't perform very well on older CPUs with less cache.
I use Intel i5, I think this error comes from the QEMU version. Because I ran Mac OS 9 into the old QEMU and QEMU never slowed down.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Are you sure you run this command line?
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -boot d -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
That will not run from the hard disk image.

You need:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -boot c -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
to boot from HD.

Which older version is faster for you? I haven't noticed any Windows build being particularly slow compared to others.
Windows builds are roughly 10% slower compared to Linux/OSX builds.

Best,
Cat_7
MacPlussed
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MacPlussed »

Cat_7 wrote:Are you sure you run this command line?
That will not run from the hard disk image.

You need:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -boot c -drive file=MacOSX.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=macos_91_ppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
to boot from HD.

Which older version is faster for you? I haven't noticed any Windows build being particularly slow compared to others.
Windows builds are roughly 10% slower compared to Linux/OSX builds.

Best,
Cat_7
The QEMU version 20171215 on this site is very fast.

But I will install Mac OS 9.1 on HD, why do I do it?

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/964 ... -0-to-10-5