Mac OS X DP3 Install Problem

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ENZOLU
Student Driver

Mac OS X DP3 Install Problem

Post by ENZOLU »

Hi! I am trying to instal OS X Developer Preview 3 using QEMU. All the settings are coorect nd it boots up using the CD. However, I get this error. Any help? Image
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac OS X DP3 Install Problem

Post by adespoton »

Did you remove the CD from the parameters and change d to c after finishing setup?
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

The problem is it doesn't even boot to setup. The problem happens when I try to boot to the setup program using the iso.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What do your command line parameters look like? It's likely an image order or c vs d issue.
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

The problem is that the CD has two bootable partitions, the first one contains an (incompatible) Mac OS Classic bootstrap system, and the second one contains the main installer. You must disable autoboot and manually specify the second bootable partition. Add to your command line:

Code: Select all

-prom-env 'auto-boot?=false'
and in OpenFirmware:

boot cd:9,\\:tbxi
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

What do you mean? I disabled auto boot so I type the second code on the openbios terminal?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Yes, though you might need to set your keyboard to usb so you can type the command.
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

The terminal seems to freeze! It just freezes whem i type the co,mand and press enter! What's wrong?
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

Nevermind, I was just typing the command wrong. Now I get this, any solutions?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

How long are you waiting for it to boot? IIRC it can take a few minutes to boot. You can enable verbose boot to get a better idea what's going on. If you don't know how to enable verbose boot, just add

-prom-env 'boot-args=-v'
to your command line.

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

When it shows the glitched mac, it just stops ther and I left it booting for about half an hour
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Huh, that's odd. Mind comparing your command line with my shell script?

#!/bin/bash

qemu-system-ppc \
-g 800x600x32 \
-boot d \
-M mac99 \
-m 512M \
-cpu G3 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' \
-prom-env 'boot-args=-v' \
-net none \
-usb \
-device usb-mouse \
-device usb-kbd \
-drive file="MacOSX_developer_preview_3.iso",\
format=raw,index=2,media=cdrom \
-drive file="MacOSX_DP3.qcow2",\
format=qcow2,index=0,media=disk \
-name "Mac OS X Developer Preview 3" \
-no-reboot
It might be that you need to put your cd image before your disk image.

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

I used -cpu G3 and it still freezes. The beach ball gets stuck at some point and when I enable Verbose mode, it says something about Net drivers. Any recommendations?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

I've not have any luck getting any of the developer previews to boot with a network adapter. You'll need to disable it with:

-net none

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

I DID IT!
However, the installer doesn't detect any hard drive. Should i format the image using a newer OS X installer?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Yes, if you have a Mac OS vm set up, just attach the disk image to that vm and format. Otherwise, you can use a Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X install disc and format from there.

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

So I installed it successfully, but now when I try to boot from the hd it gives me an error no valid slate on bootinfo.txt. I created 2 Partitions Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X. How do I set it to boot to the Mac OS X Partition?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

You can boot Mac OS X by specifying it's partition number. The easiest way to find out Mac OS X partition number requires opening the disk image in a partitioning tool and listing partitions.

So first, boot into single-user mode using your install disc. Once you're there, type in the following commands:

pdisk
L
You should see a list of partitions, Look for the one labeled "MOSX_OF3_Booter" and make a note of its partition number. To exit without writing to partition table and shutdown type:

q
halt
Once you have your partition number, enter into OpenFirmware

boot hd:#,\\:tbxi
where "#" is your partition number.

If you want to automate it add to your command line (replacing "#" with your partition number):

-prom-env 'boot-command=hd:#,\\:tbxi'

Doug Gwyn
ENZOLU
Student Driver

Post by ENZOLU »

Thank you for youe advice! You really helped me get this up and running! Kudos to you! BTW, is there any way to increase performance?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Other than more powerful host hardware and increasing your virtual machine's ram to 512M, no. This is due to QEMU having to translate PowerPC instructions into x86. Honestly, it's amazing that it works at all. Glad I could help.

Doug Gwyn