QEMU can't find the disk drive for booting

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

luctimm
Space Cadet

QEMU can't find the disk drive for booting

Post by luctimm »

Hi team,

I'm using Cat_7's 24-04-2018 release of QEMU.
I followed this guide here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx
And used the Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install iso file.

I was able to boot up the CD Rom in QEMU. The installation went flawlessly.
However, when I change the boot device to the HD image, nothing else happens. I got into OpenFirmware screen not being able to find the HD drive.

If I set the auto-boot parameter to false, I can navigate fine through OpenFirmware. However, I can't find the disk devices on it, only the CD Rom ones:

Although, the boot variables are still pointing to an HD drive which is not there. If I give him the boot command, it fails the same way.

Also, the image drive has been correctly recorded. I can mount it on OSX and see all the content written by the Mac OS 9.2 installer.

How can I boot this drive?

This is my last qemu.command string:

Code: Select all

# For running
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS9.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 
Thank you very much for this incredible work.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: QEMU can't find the disk drive for booting

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You changed -boot d to -boot c correctly, but you didn't change the order of the disks in the command line:

Code: Select all

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=MacOS9.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom  -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 
Should work.

Best,
Cat_7
luctimm
Space Cadet

Post by luctimm »

Hi Cat_7,

It did the trick. After setting the HD drive in front of CDRom drive, Mac OS 9.2.2 booted correctly.
Thank you very much!! I spent a lot of time on this and couldn't see this error. Maybe we shall edit the Wiki adding this information.

By the way, did you edit the message? When I read the first time, I remember seeing something related to the images we can find on Macintosh Garden. I initially considered try a vanilla install disk, but when I couldn't see the drive in Open Firmware, I also found the image itself wasn't supposed to be the issue.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

By the way, did you edit the message? When I read the first time, I remember seeing something related to the images we can find on Macintosh Garden. I initially considered try a vanilla install disk, but when I couldn't see the drive in Open Firmware, I also found the image itself wasn't supposed to be the issue.
No, I just wrote what I wrote.

The wiki has already been fixed, seeing you are not the first person who missed the message about changing the order of the disks ;-)

Best,
Cat_7