A multi-arch emulator? (ppc)

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Meow2004
Student Driver

A multi-arch emulator? (ppc)

Post by Meow2004 »

I wonder if it would be possible with the right rom, and stuffs, if there was an emulator that can run Rhapsody dr1 and dr2 ppc, dr1-4, pb, and 10.0-10.5 without and hassle of terminals and stuff, what do you think?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: A multi-arch emulator? (ppc)

Post by adespoton »

QEMU already does that... all you need is a wrapper.

The problem is that QEMU is changing so quickly that someone would have to be working constantly to support the latest builds, due to the optimal options changing continually.

Personally, I keep every one of my OSes in its own self-contained app in the finder, so that I can just use the Finder as my launcher.

This is what it looks like:

April 2018 Mac OS Launchers by adespoton

The actual emulators behind that are Mini vMac, Basilisk II, SheepShaver, QEMU, plus VirtualBox and Parallels.
Meow2004
Student Driver

Post by Meow2004 »

Oh wow, that is cool! But what I was saying is all those emulators into one. Without a whole lot of hassle
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What I'm saying is that no matter how you do it, there will be a whole lot of hassle; it just depends on whether the hassle is for the developer or the users.

Once QEMU PPC development slows down a bit, we may get someone making another front end like Q https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(emulator) which worked wonderfully.

Meanwhile, we've got two active attempts from users on this board to build a "Mac" emulator front end for Windows. They are both currently working for at least one emulator each.