Mounting Multiple Drive Images

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TeeCee
Space Cadet

Mounting Multiple Drive Images

Post by TeeCee »

Host: Mac OS X 10.12
Qemu Build: 2.12 64bit 24042018 for OS X 10.11+
Guest: Mac OS 9.2.2
Desire: Mount multiple .imgs

I successfully created a Mac OS 9.2.2 Qemu setup. I’d now like to add an additional virtual drive; perhaps more? Using qemu-img, I created a second 2G .img, added it to the script, and can’t for the life of me get it to mount.

The primary drive works fine. When the additional drive wouldn’t work just by adding it to the script, I tried hda / hdb, index numbers, explicit paths, etc. to add the secondary drive ... but nothing seems to work.

——————————————
MY “NON-FANCY” SCRIPT:
——————————————

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 1024 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=2G2.img,format=raw,media=disk -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd

——————————

Thanks in advance for any light you folks can shed!

P.S. Is the difference between CD ("cdrom") and HARD DRIVE ("disk") image declarations that Qemu will only READ from while the latter is READ/WRITE?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mounting Multiple Drive Images

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

In this respect Qemu behaves just like a real Mac.
After adding the disk to the command line (which you did correctly), you have to use drive setup to partition and format the disk. Only then will it appear on the desktop. This can be done from the running Mac OS 9.2

Check these lines in our guide:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... _mac_os_92

CD and disk not only differ in read/read-write, but use different layout formats too (like sector sizes).

Best,
Cat_7
TeeCee
Space Cadet

Re: Mounting Multiple Drive Images

Post by TeeCee »

Cat_7 wrote:... use drive setup to partition and format the disk ...
I feel like such The Fool. :oops: THANK YOU, Cat_7. I was anticipating and looking for a MUCH more complex cause and solution.