QEMU emulates a G4 processor with only 200MHz ???

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

simplemac
Space Cadet

QEMU emulates a G4 processor with only 200MHz ???

Post by simplemac »

Hi, I installed Mac OS X 10.3 in QEMU with the following configuration:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=hdd.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=disk1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -g 1920x1200x32

After I boot into the system and check the system profile, the CPU is listed as Power G4, speed is 200MHz

How can I emulate a G4 processor with 1GHz or even higher?

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: QEMU emulates a G4 processor with only 200MHz ???

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The speed reported is only cosmetic. Certain mac os x version do not allow installation on machines below certain speed. Future builds of Qemu will report a G4 with 900Mhz to satisfy Leopard, but it has nothing to do with the speed you experience. That speed is dependent on the speed of your host machine.

Best,
Cat_7
simplemac
Space Cadet

Post by simplemac »

Thanks for the quick reply. The host machine is a MacBook Pro with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. The guest Mac OS X 10.3 runs a little bit slow and laggy (not as smooth as host macOS). Is it normal or just me has this kind of problem? Is there any method to further speed up the current version of QEMU?
Thanks again.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Emulation can be slow. All instructions for the old PowerPC processor architecture have to be translated to your Intel processor architecture.
Speed will gradually improve while Qemu matures. There is not much you can do yourself. You current host is not the quickest around, but upgrading to a faster machine will never bring performance of a PPC guest operating system on par with an Intel host.

Best,
Cat_7
airat78
Inquisitive Elf

Post by airat78 »

Last ver. of QEMU shows on my configuration, with Panther - 1400 Mhz, Cheetah - 200 Mhz, Jaguar - 0 Mhz.