Qemu + Mac OS 9.1 custom resolutions

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mahrain
Space Cadet

Qemu + Mac OS 9.1 custom resolutions

Post by mahrain »

I've got a nice Qemu (v3.1) built by Cat_7 running with Mac OS 9.1, Office 2001 and such, however I'm trying to get it fullscreen on the native resolution of my Macbook Air (1440x900). So far I've tried ScreenRes2 (doesn't work), I've found an alternative "qemu_vga.ndrv" from your experiments in 2016/2017 and added "resolutions='1024x768 1440x900' to my qemu.command startup string, but so far no luck.

Fullscreen works with the -full-screen switch, it's still just a 1024x768 box in the middle of the screen.

Do I need a different build? How can I enable this resolution?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu + Mac OS 9.1 custom resolutions

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You are in luck. There is work being done on reading resolution from EDID info (monitor capabilities).
This has resulted in a newer qemu_vga.ndrv. It is included in an experimental OSX build I just uploaded.

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848&p=52104#p52104

In your case (already using the qemu 3.1 build), you would only need the driver and the additional command line argument as described in the readme in the vga-driver folder.

Note that you can select resolutions that are higher than the ones your monitor supports. What happens when you do is unknown to me.

Best,
Cat_7
mahrain
Space Cadet

Post by mahrain »

Excellent, this is working perfectly! I even get a nice fullscreen boot experience by adding the '-g 1440x900' and -full-screen flags.

I'll let you know if any issues come up.
mahrain
Space Cadet

Post by mahrain »

First issue came up, i seem to have lost networking. It might have to do with the double '-device' flags I have now in my config,

Code: Select all

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -device VGA,edid=on -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -hda MacOS9.2.img  -g 1440x900x32 -full-screen -device usb-storage,drive=fat16 -drive file=fat:rw:fat-type=16:/Users/mac/Downloads,id=fat16,format=raw,if=none -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You seem to like living on the edge with that vvfat drive on the desktop ;-) This is not stable!

I have networking running with -device VGA,edid=on.
What are your experiencing? No networking at all? Or networking failing after some time?
Perhaps you try without the -device usb-storage?

Best,
Cat_7
mahrain
Space Cadet

Post by mahrain »

Fixed it, I see I was using an Openbios from 2017 instead of the one provided in the 3.1 package. Using the build of 5 October 2018 networking works again.