MacBook Pro 2017 keyboard not fully working.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

olahaye74
Space Cadet

MacBook Pro 2017 keyboard not fully working.

Post by olahaye74 »

Hi,

I'm trying to run Linux in qemu for MacOS-X and while it works fine, I have a major issue on the keyboard mapping (console).
The key left to "1" is not mapped at all (showkey from guest doesn't trigger any event). The problem is that on my French keyboard it hosts @ and # which are very useful for ssh commands and shell comments.
After digging I found that these are mapped on the key right to left-shift (key code 41). The problem is that this keys hosts the < and > signs which are not mapped elsewhere.

I'm using "loadkeys fr-mac" to load the (in theory) correct keymap for Mac French keyboard. But it seems that there is a problem with hardware mapping (key left to "1" should be keycode 41 and key right to left-shift should be keycode 86).

Aside that, I'm unable to get "|" and "~" using option-shift-L and option-N-space (tilde is a dead key, thus the need for space).

Looking at the fr-mac.map.gz, I can't see if it's correct. So far, the showkey command on guest tells me that L is keycode 38 and N is keycode 49. Within vi, trying to generate pipe or tilde is impossible using the option key (it generates Control-N apparently).

The ESC key from touch bar is correctly recognized. That said, is there a way to add some keys to the Touch Bar as a fallback?

Thanks for any help on that tricky problem.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: MacBook Pro 2017 keyboard not fully working.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose you have OSX System Preferences set to use your French AZERTY keyboard. I do not know if QEMU handles other then US QWERTY keyboards correctly. Did you configure your Linux installation to use the French keyboard?
olahaye74
Space Cadet

Re: MacBook Pro 2017 keyboard not fully working.

Post by olahaye74 »

Yes, my Mac keyboard is set to French and I started emu with and without the -k fr option and within the guest I issued a load keys fr-mac.

In no way the key left to the "1" key will produce any event.

:?: