How Can I install Mac OS X Server 1.0 in QEMU?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TheMacGuy
Student Driver

How Can I install Mac OS X Server 1.0 in QEMU?

Post by TheMacGuy »

Hello everyone, I got error by Mac OS X 1.0 setup. It says 'Mac OS X Server cannot be installed on this computer.'.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How Can I install Mac OS X Server 1.0 in QEMU?

Post by adespoton »

https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2018 ... s-on-qemu/

And more importantly:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx

Check the part talking about the settings required for server. Also, ensure you're using a build of QEMU that will run Server.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

TheMacGuy
Student Driver

Post by TheMacGuy »

Cat_7 and adespoton,

When load Mac OS X Server 1.0:
Trying cd:,\\:tbxi...
this image is not for this platformNo valid state has been set by load or init-program
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Only Server 1.2v3 can be installed, others seem to require hardware Qemu doesn't emulate.

Best,
Cat_7
TheMacGuy
Student Driver

Post by TheMacGuy »

Cat_7 Mac OS X Server 1.2 cannot load:
qemu-system-ppc: Trying to execute code outside RAM or ROM at 0x12181020
This usually means one of the following happened:

(1) You told QEMU to execute a kernel for the wrong machine type, and it crashed on startup (eg trying to run a raspberry pi kernel on a versatilepb QEMU machine)
(2) You didn't give QEMU a kernel or BIOS filename at all, and QEMU executed a ROM full of no-op instructions until it fell off the end
(3) Your guest kernel has a bug and crashed by jumping off into nowhere

This is almost always one of the first two, so check your command line and that you are using the right type of kernel for this machine.
If you think option (3) is likely then you can try debugging your guest with the -d debug options; in particular -d guest_errors will cause the log to include a dump of the guest register state at this point.

Execution cannot continue; stopping here.
My batch file:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -M mac99 -prom-env “boot-args=-v” -prom-env “auto-boot?=true” -prom-env “vga-ndrv?=true” -hda MacOS.img -cdrom mac_osx_server12.iso -sdl -device usb-mouse -device adb-keyboard -boot d
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Just follow the steps here:

Mac OS X Server 1.2v3

Installation requires several steps:
Step 1: boot from installation CD, use disk utility to partition disk as Apple Server, Start the installation and let it fail. Quit Qemu and reboot with command line in step 2.

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu-adb -m 256 -net none -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2

Step 2: initial installation (note machine and CPU, otherwise no desktop is shown).

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=false" -net none -sdl -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso

At the boot prompt enter "boot cd:9,\\:tbxi" Initial installation starts. Quit Qemu after completion.

Step 3: Installation continued. Boot with the following command line to complete the installation.

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -net none -sdl -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso

Step 4: Boot the installed system:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -net none -sdl -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:Just follow the steps here:

Mac OS X Server 1.2v3

Installation requires several steps:
Step 1: boot from installation CD, use disk utility to partition disk as Apple Server, Start the installation and let it fail. Quit Qemu and reboot with command line in step 2.

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu-adb -m 256 -net none -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -sdl -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2

Step 2: initial installation (note machine and CPU, otherwise no desktop is shown).

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=false" -net none -sdl -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso

At the boot prompt enter "boot cd:9,\\:tbxi" Initial installation starts. Quit Qemu after completion.

Step 3: Installation continued. Boot with the following command line to complete the installation.

Step 4: Boot the installed system:

So, I'm stuck on this screen for Step 3:

How long does it normally take to get to the other installation part?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did the installation in step 2 install stuff? I noticed the disk could not be found to install to if I didn't at least start the installation from CD image in step 1 and let it fail.
After that, the installation in step 2 succeeded. You have to wait for the installation to show that it has synced disks and is about to restart. Then I could boot to the second phase installer in step 3.

What is your command line for step 3? Do you use -g to set the graphics size?

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Did the installation in step 2 install stuff? I noticed the disk could not be found to install to if I didn't at least start the installation from CD image in step 1 and let it fail.
After that, the installation in step 2 succeeded. You have to wait for the installation to show that it has synced disks and is about to restart. Then I could boot to the second phase installer in step 3.

What is your command line for step 3? Do you use -g to set the graphics size?

Best,
Cat_7
Yep, I saw the same thing. Started the installation from the CD after formatting the drive, letting it fail, quitting qemu and then using the Step 2 command line stuff. I waited until this screen to quit qemu and start Step 3:

Am I quitting qemu too soon? It just sits at that screen for a long time. I don't think I've seen it ever get beyond that. Does qemu just quit by itself if it tries to reboot? (I honestly forget if it does that or not). Here are the command lines that I’m using

Step 1 (formatting the drive):
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu-adb -m 256 -net none -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -g 1024x768x32

Step 2 (installation part 1):
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=false" -net none -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso -g 1024x768x32

Step 3 (installation part 2):
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -net none -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso -g 1024x768x32

Step 4 (booting from the HD):
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M g3beige -cpu G3 -m 256 -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -net none -hda OSXServer1.2v3.qcow2 -cdrom OSXServer1.2v3.iso -g 1024x768x32

I’m using Qemu-3.0.0-OSX-14-08-2018.zip. I used the “qemu_vga_NO256.ndrv” from the “vga-driver” folder. I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There is no need to copy the qemu video driver, as the one in the pc-bios folder is the same as the NO256 one.

At step 2, you should wait until "continuing" as you did. At this phase, qemu doesn't restart by itself.
I would suggest you try step 3 without the -g 1024x768x32

I now redid the installation in Linux and Windows, and both succeeded. I'll retry in OSX later to see whether there are issues on that platform.

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:There is no need to copy the qemu video driver, as the one in the pc-bios folder is the same as the NO256 one.

At step 2, you should wait until "continuing" as you did. At this phase, qemu doesn't restart by itself.
I would suggest you try step 3 without the -g 1024x768x32

I now redid the installation in Linux and Windows, and both succeeded. I'll retry in OSX later to see whether there are issues on that platform.

Best,
Cat_7
Ah, gotcha. Ok. I'll try that. Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just redid the installation in OSX. With the inclusion of the additional start of the installation at Step 1 it went correctly.

At step2 I saw:
continuing
done
md_shutdown_devices() called.

and I then shut down Qemu. However, I did not see those additional lines in other installations.

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

I just redid the installation in OSX. With the inclusion of the additional start of the installation at Step 1 it went correctly.

At step2 I saw:
continuing
done
md_shutdown_devices() called.

and I then shut down Qemu. However, I did not see those additional lines in other installations.

Best,
Cat_7
Hmm, ok. So, Step 3 went as it should? It didn't hang forever on that screen I posted? What Mac version of qemu did you use? Also, what were your command line setups for each step? Anything different compared to what I posted?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I followed your command lines exactly and also failed on step 3.

I think I found the issue. The installation in OSX doesn't like the qcow2 image to install to. Please try with a raw image. You can make one like this:
./qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G OSXServer1.2v3.img

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:I followed your command lines exactly and also failed on step 3.

I think I found the issue. The installation in OSX doesn't like the qcow2 image to install to. Please try with a raw image. You can make one like this:
./qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G OSXServer1.2v3.img

Best,
Cat_7
That did the trick! Thanks for the help! Can't believe after years of wanting to, I can finally run Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 (Rhapsody 5.6)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

But without networking, and it is dead-slow ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

Cat_7 wrote:Yes,

But without networking, and it is dead-slow ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Yeah, exactly. Thanks again for the help!
erostratus
Space Cadet

Post by erostratus »

I just want to say that these instructions still work perfectly on an M1 MacBook Air in 2021. I used the latest qemu build posted here (which is still an Intel build), and it was just fine.

A couple of notes: I couldn't format my 2GB disk image as anything but HFS+ during the first boot, but that was no problem. Server still installed correctly upon subsequent boots. Also, in terms of speed, I turned off menu blinking in the Appearance computer settings, as the blinking was incredibly slow on my machine. Other than that, I didn't notice Server to be slow in emulation. As a user of Rhapsody DR2 for quite a long time on my G3 desktop back in the day, the OS was incredibly slow compared to Mac OS 8. NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP was incredibly slow on Black hardware as well. It's just not a fast OS.

Thanks so much for perfect instructions.