Help With Installing QEMU

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Help With Installing QEMU

Post by JonathonWyble »

Greetings,
So I recently installed QEMU as one of my hypervisors (I use quite a few emulations programs), because I wanted to try it out. But I'm having one problem. I don't know if I installed the software properly. The reason for that is because of the program's appearance; in my computer's start menu, in the QEMU folder, it doesn't show the QEMU program, but rather a Chrome HTML document that explains a bunch of QEMU crap. To find the program itself, I have to go to my Local Disk, and in the QEMU folder in Program Files, that's where I find the program, but it's a bunch of .exe files for QEMU in other languages and CPU types. So what I'm asking is, did I properly install QEMU, or do I have to format it first then install the software?
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Re: Help With Installing QEMU

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Yes, QEMU was installed correctly. It's just that you want to make sure you install only the CPU types you need, mainly PPC(32).
JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Post by JonathonWyble »

kataetheweirdo wrote:Yes, QEMU was installed correctly. It's just that you want to make sure you install only the CPU types you need, mainly PPC(32).
What I'm saying is, I can't locate the QEMU program itself in my computer's start menu, instead it's just an HTML document titled "User Documentation". The .exe file I decided to use is the x86-64 version, which those files are only present in my Program Files folder.

Questions: Are you saying that the CPU types are in different .exe files so that you use one of those QEMU programs to run virtual machines from specific processors? And how exactly do I install certain CPU types?

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

JonathonWyble wrote: What I'm saying is, I can't locate the QEMU program itself in my computer's start menu, instead it's just an HTML document titled "User Documentation". The .exe file I decided to use is the x86-64 version, which those files are only present in my Program Files folder.

Questions: Are you saying that the CPU types are in different .exe files so that you use one of those QEMU programs to run virtual machines from specific processors? And how exactly do I install certain CPU types?

You can move one of the .exes to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

And yes, the different CPU types each have their own .exe files, so that you have to specify which type of VM you want to run.
JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Post by JonathonWyble »

kataetheweirdo wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote: What I'm saying is, I can't locate the QEMU program itself in my computer's start menu, instead it's just an HTML document titled "User Documentation". The .exe file I decided to use is the x86-64 version, which those files are only present in my Program Files folder.

You can move one of the .exes to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

And yes, the different CPU types each have their own .exe files, so that you have to specify which type of VM you want to run.
Thanks. That worked :smile:
I have the x86 exe QEMU file for emulating Windows operating systems, and the PPC .exe file for emulating MacOS/OS X operating systems. Even though I already use PearPC for Mac OSes, and VirtualBox for Windows OSes, but I use QEMU as my alternate hypervisor for both OS families.