Unidentified QEMU program

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Unidentified QEMU program

Post by JonathonWyble »

I recently came across a download for some program for QEMU, known as "QEMU Manager". I installed this program to inspect it, and it seems different from the original QEMU software (the one with a bunch of separate apps for different CPU architectures). QEMU Manager seems to install any operating system (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.) with any CPU architecture (x86, x64, PowerPC, etc.), which makes me think that it could just be a simple version of QEMU for people with no experience in using that hypervisor. QEMU Manager also requires administrative privileges to run in Windows hosts, unlike the QEMU program you may all know.

So what I'm asking is, is QEMU Manager an official QEMU program, or is it something different from the actual QEMU?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Unidentified QEMU program

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This seems an older graphical front end for Qemu. It contains all machines Qemu can emulate, but they will most likely be outdated. I have no idea whether it can be updated with newer Qemu versions. Additionally, it is not to be expected that it supports all recent command line options.

The developer's website is no longer in the air. It is not developed nor maintained by the Qemu team. I would steer clear of it.

If you want a recent installer for Qemu on Windows that contains all supported machines, check Stefan Weil's downloads: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/
But it doesn't have a GUI like Qemu Manager.

We only provide Qemu builds with the qemu-system-ppc machine as we are interested in Mac emulation.

Best,
Cat_7
JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Re: Unidentified QEMU program

Post by JonathonWyble »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

This seems an older graphical front end for Qemu. It contains all machines Qemu can emulate, but they will most likely be outdated. I have no idea whether it can be updated with newer Qemu versions. Additionally, it is not to be expected that it supports all recent command line options.

The developer's website is no longer in the air. It is not developed nor maintained by the Qemu team. I would steer clear of it.

If you want a recent installer for Qemu on Windows that contains all supported machines, check Stefan Weil's downloads: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/
But it doesn't have a GUI like Qemu Manager.

We only provide Qemu builds with the qemu-system-ppc machine as we are interested in Mac emulation.

Best,
Cat_7
Wow! I must have a really old piece of software. Also, I was just talking about something I found and became concerned about, not providing the source to it. Anyways, I think I will just get rid of that program and switch back to the actual QEMU software.