Thanks, yes please! 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Thanks for your work but not interested 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Undecided 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:16 am 
Space Cadet

Hi everyone,

Just joined the site, very cool site.

I used to use ShapeShifter on my Amiga 3000 back in the day so am familiar with the work of Christian Bauer, very talented.

I just started emulating vintage Macs on OS X/macOS recently with Basilisk II and SheepShaver, and so far so good, colour being the biggest change since my black and white 68030 native A3000.

One of the frustrations I had with Basilisk II is the non native GUI for OS X. It doesn't always let you click the button and I can't say I'm a fan of X11 interfaces on Macs.

As such about a week or so ago I started writing a new GUI following along the lines of the existing GUI in Xcode Swift. I've just finished the first beta version and was wondering if anyone wanted to test it?

My aim is to include the possibility of presets in the interface so that you don't have to reconfigure it each time to use System 7 or Mac OS 8 or different CPUs, RAM, ROM etc.

At the moment it simply does the same as the X11 GUI.

If anyone is interesting in testing it, please let me know and I'll upload a beta. I haven't had much time to test it myself but it seems to work. And unfortunately I won't have much time to work on it in the next week. It's written from the ground up in Cocoa/Swift. Not sure how backwards compatible it is with earlier versions of OS X, it's written in Xcode 10 for High Sierra, but have not locked it to that OS.

Cheers and happy emulating!

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 am 
Expert User

Certainly interested in testing. Not sure yet about the presets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 am 
Space Cadet

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Certainly interested in testing. Not sure yet about the presets.

Hi Ronald, thanks, ironing out some last minute bugs, will upload soon!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 am 
Space Cadet

Here's a screenshot...

Still a bit of debugging to do...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am 
Expert User

Looks promising. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 pm 
Space Cadet

Thanks!

You can find a beta version here:

http://d01.net/basiliskiigui/Basilisk%20II%20GUI%20OS%20X.zip

It has not been heavily tested.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Oh, one more thing, you need to copy your .basilisk_ii_prefs file to .basilisk_ii_prefs_test

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm 
Forum All-Star

Since I've already spent years fine tuning presets for each OS version for my single runtime shells, I'm not likely to use an external GUI, but if you need any help with appropriate presets, let me know. There's a few things like needing the extra file sharing extension for 7.1 in order to use the shared folder that would be nice to put as tips in the GUI as well (so if you select 7.1 as your target, you get some extra instructions on in-OS configuration that may be needed if you select a shared folder).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:08 pm 
Expert User

I had a quick look. It does look promising but there are still many issues. Next weekend I will have time for more detailed comments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm 
Space Cadet

Hi adespoton,

Yeah I only just read about your runtime shells after I'd finished rewriting the GUI. I might have gone down that road instead of writing 1000+ lines of code lol.

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:20 pm 
Space Cadet

Hi Ronald,

Yeah I'm aware of a few issues. Sometimes the textfields won't display the prefs contents after a reload, but that seems to be hit and miss.

Main issues I've noticed is I haven't yet converted a new user entry into RAM size back into bytes and haven't implemented the FPU option. Also choosing Maximum for window size returns 0 when you reload. Will fix all these when I have more time.

Look forward to your comments.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am 
Expert User

Well, I found many more issues. I will report them here later, hopefully tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:47 pm 
Space Cadet

Thanks Ronald, appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 pm 
Expert User

Here are some first experiences with your GUI application.
I tested it in High Sierra, I put your GUI in the folder where the BasiliskII application and the old GUI reside, and I started with copying my existing ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs to ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs_test.

1. Closing the window does not quit the application
I am used to dismiss such one-window applications by clicking the red button. Most such applications will then quit. Your GUI app continues running when its window is closed with no way to bring the window back.

2. Lines in the prefs file are duplicated
Saving a change in the GUI should only change the related line in the prefs file or replace the content with the new settings, but often lines are duplicated or even all lines are duplicated as if the new settings are appended to the existing ones. After only a few changes in the settings my prefs file had grown and looked like this: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/basilisk ... ntries.txt

3. Volumes list, Finder icons
I am not sure why you use Finder icons before each volume in the list, regardless what kind of volume it is. It seems to indicate a compatible startup volume, but it is used for any volume.

4. Volumes list, "Kind"
There is a column "Kind" that indicates that the volume is a disk image. Isn't that superfluous information? Aren't all volumes in the list disk images?

5. Volumes list, "Not Found"
If a volume is not found, this is displayed in the Kind column. That is useful information, but the further implementation is problematic:

6. Files not found will be removed
When settings are saved, files that are not found will be removed from prefs.

For me that is a problem. I am in the habit of moving files out of the way in the hosts Finder when I do not need them and move them back when I need them, That way I can choose which disk images will be mounted in BasiliskII without the need to change settings. I do not know if many other users handle disk images with BasiliskII or SheepShaver the same way. Both applications will simply ignore incorrect paths to disk images.

Another problem for me is that I often use relative paths (file names only) for files that are in the same folder as the BasiliskII application. Those will also be removed when I save changed settings. The old GUI does not change such entries.

7. Incorrect removal of not found disk images
When not found disk images are removed from the prefs file, only the path is removed. The "disk" entry remains, causing persistent "Not Found" volumes in the list. The whole line should be removed.

8. Incorrect reading and writing of values for CPU type and FPU.
I have not extensively tested this, but I seem to be unable to set all combinations correctly.

These five settings in the GUI
CPU 68020
CPU 68020 with FPU
CPU 68030
CPU 68030 with FPU
CPU 69040

should we written in prefs as:

cpu 2
fpu false

cpu 2
fpu true

cpu 3
fpu false

cpu 3
fpu true

cpu 4
fpu true

9. Does not create a prefs file when none exists
When launched, the GUI app should create a prefs file when none exists. It could be an empty file, but it could also be a file with some default settings. More recent (2011) versions of the old GUI create this file with some preconfigured settings: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/basilisk ... refs_1.txt

Personally I would choose other values to be the default for some of these settings but that can be discussed later.

If these settings are copied to ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs, your GUI app will crash at launch. Not sure which lines cause the problem. Maybe it is because items are in a different order.

BasiliskII itself also creates a default prefs file when none exists, but those settings clearly date from years ago. Apparently no one bothered to change those defaults in newer BasiliskII versions: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/basilisk ... refs_2.txt

Also with these settings in ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs your GUI app will crash.

10. Miscelaneous
I did not yet try every setting, I did not yet try presets, and I have some thoughts about the interface, but that can be discussed later.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:50 am 
Space Cadet

Thanks for going through it!

I won't have time to work on it until next weekend. Will post an update when I have had to time to fix the issues.

Cheers!