Willing to share precompiled BasiliskII for Rasp Pi 3B+?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Tom2112
Space Cadet

Willing to share precompiled BasiliskII for Rasp Pi 3B+?

Post by Tom2112 »

I've been trying to get BasiliskII running on the latest Raspberry Pi Raspian (kernel v5.10) on my Pi 3B+. Frankly, I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm tired of screwing around with it. Would any kind souls who have already compiled BasiliskII for the Raspberry Pi 3B+ be nice enough to upload it?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
2bitcollector
Space Cadet

Re: Willing to share precompiled BasiliskII for Rasp Pi 3B+?

Post by 2bitcollector »

The good news is there is a binary download of BasiliskII for the Raspberry Pi in RetroPie. Just download and install RetroPie on an microSD card - instructions are provided at https://retropie.org.uk/download/. Once RetroPie is up and running on your Raspberry, you'll need to visit the configuration menu within RetroPie and download and install Basilisk - it's an optional core. You'll also need a Mac ROM, etc.

The installation and configuration process to run Basilisk is somewhat complicated. However there is a Youtube video detailing the entire process. Just Google 'retrobits basilisk on raspberry pi' for the Youtube video.
2bitcollector
Space Cadet

Post by 2bitcollector »

From RetroPie's docs on Macintosh emulation "Since the disk setup GUI is not included in RetroPie's version of Basilisk, you must install Basilisk on your PC to create a larger image and copy your disk.img file to it. Similar instructions can be found at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8068"

'Somewhat complicated' is an understatement. I've been working on this awhile. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

I found out you CAN download large, empty HFS disk image from https://www.macintoshrepository.org/192 ... -30gb-hfs-, so you don't need to run the Cider program mentioned in the video on a Windows machine.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This moving of a disk image should be unneeded -- you just need to create a file (any file) of the size you want to use, add it to the list of images, and let the Finder format it for you when it loads. I usually do so with dd, but you can use a copy of an existing file of the size you want, or just cat /dev/null to a file until you've got the size you want.
2bitcollector
Space Cadet

Post by 2bitcollector »

Ok, BasiliskII is up and running. After I renamed mac.ROM to mac.rom the Mac booted up and I was able to install System7.5.3 and StuffIt Expander easily and it’s mostly behaving. It boots up in 3 seconds on my RPi 2 - very happy with that.

However I was unable to change the resolution or number of colors thru the Monitors control panel. It’s locked at 640 x 480@67 Hz and millions of colors. Trying to change the number colors instantly crashes Basilisk back to emulationstation, with no runcommand.log error file.

Any idea’s? Most 68k games ran at 8-bit (256) colors.
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

Tom2112 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 am I've been trying to get BasiliskII running on the latest Raspberry Pi Raspian (kernel v5.10) on my Pi 3B+. Frankly, I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm tired of screwing around with it. Would any kind souls who have already compiled BasiliskII for the Raspberry Pi 3B+ be nice enough to upload it?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Check my github for auto install on a RPi!

https://github.com/ekbann/rpi-basilisk2-sdl2-nox.git
ebann
Tinkerer

Post by ebann »

2bitcollector wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 pm Ok, BasiliskII is up and running. After I renamed mac.ROM to mac.rom the Mac booted up and I was able to install System7.5.3 and StuffIt Expander easily and it’s mostly behaving. It boots up in 3 seconds on my RPi 2 - very happy with that.

However I was unable to change the resolution or number of colors thru the Monitors control panel. It’s locked at 640 x 480@67 Hz and millions of colors. Trying to change the number colors instantly crashes Basilisk back to emulationstation, with no runcommand.log error file.

Any idea’s? Most 68k games ran at 8-bit (256) colors.
Edit .basilisk_ii_prefs

screen win/640/480
displaycolordepth 8