BasiliskII for iOS

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Re: BasiliskII for iOS

Post by gingerbeardman »

I ad a lack of audio the other day, I realised after a while that it was broadcasting over bluetooth to my wife's headphones.
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

gingerbeardman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:58 pm I ad a lack of audio the other day, I realised after a while that it was broadcasting over bluetooth to my wife's headphones.
:D I never would have put System 7 and Bluetooth in the same sentence before. Well done! (sorta)
inuwali
Space Cadet

Post by inuwali »

Thanks for posting this and for all the help on your blog! I've gotten it up and running on my iPad but I'm stuck in a couple places when trying to get files on.

I can't find the shared files drive you reference. Should it mount automatically on the desktop when Basilisk II launches? Do I need to turn it on via a setting somewhere?

I'm also looking for a good way to manage disk images. HFS Disk Maker doesn't appear to work on Big Sur. :-(
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

The shared drive will show up as "Unix" as long as you're running System 7.5 or higher.

I use Basilisk on desktop with a copy of the same hard disk image I use on the iPad. All my working files are copied into the shared drive at the end of a session.

Let me know more details about your setup if you're still having problems.
• BasiliskII on iPad Pro 12.9": Macintosh IIci 32MB + System 7.5.5 + Deneba artWORKS & UltraPaint
inuwali
Space Cadet

Post by inuwali »

gingerbeardman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:03 pm The shared drive will show up as "Unix" as long as you're running System 7.5 or higher.

I use Basilisk on desktop with a copy of the same hard disk image I use on the iPad. All my working files are copied into the shared drive at the end of a session.

Let me know more details about your setup if you're still having problems.
Ah! That explains it. I'm running 7.1. Thanks!

So if I have a bunch of .dmg files that I've been using on vMac, how can I make .dsk versions that will open in Basilisk II?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BasiliskII does not care about disk image file name extensions. As long as it is a HFS read/write volume (not compressed and not encrypted) it can be mounted in BasiliskII.

You used .dmg files with vMac? Could these .dmg files be mounted in vMac?
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

I'm also unclear what your dmg files are or could be. Can you give us an example use case or better example file?

I mostly just copy .sit, .hqx files to/from the shared folder so don't bother with disk images directly.
steelejoe
Space Cadet

Post by steelejoe »

I made an account just to say thanks for this discussion. I have been playing with remote desktop to my Mac to do emulation and this is *much* better.
mcgrizzler
Space Cadet

Post by mcgrizzler »

Hello! Thank you for the detailed posts on how to set this up :) I am a little bit stuck in a similar place as inuwali.

I am running system 7.5, however I do not see the shared drive mounting. When basilisk starts up in the Documents section of the menu, I do see files, I'm trying to pull a .hqx over that is located there.

Do I need to do something in the iPad files app under basilisk for this to work?
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Really need more specific information.

To recap, any iOS app that supports file sharing will have its own folder in Files.app, in this case one labelled Basilisk.

This shared folder presents in Basilisk in two ways:
1. In the iOS-style menu that appears when you launch Basilisk. The Documents tab lists its contents.
2. When you've booted into System 7.5 there's a drive mounted on the desktop called "Unix".

Which one don't you see?

How did you install System 7.5? Is it possible you didn't install everything?

My feeling is this is a general Mac support issue, rather than anything to do with Basilisk or iPad.
electricmonk
Space Cadet

Post by electricmonk »

Hi all,

I'm trying to get this working myself. I get the following error for the "gencpu" and "build68k" components:

unable to resolve product type 'com.apple.product-type.tool' for platform 'iphoneos'

I get these errors for the BasiliskII component:

AppKit is not available when building for iOS.

Building for iOS, but the linked and embedded framework 'SDL2.framework' was built for macOS.

I feel like I've stuffed something up majorly here. Any ideas?
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Please tell us how you're going about it:

What code/fork/branch are you building?

What version of Xcode are you using?
electricmonk
Space Cadet

Post by electricmonk »

gingerbeardman wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:47 am Please tell us how you're going about it:

What code/fork/branch are you building?

What version of Xcode are you using?
It turned out I didn't realise that to get the ios branch on my computer I needed to use git clone -b ios (url...)

I thought you just needed to choose the branch on the github website and then click "clone". Entirely incorrect.

So I was trying to use the Mac version. I've got it working now, it compiled using Xcode 12.4 under 10.15.7 and I'm using iPadOS 13.7 on my iPad. All is well.

Edit: it also compiled and works fine using Xcode 13.2.1 under Big Sur 11.6.1 and using iPadOS 15.3
Last edited by electricmonk on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

Great to read
r_goes
Space Cadet

Post by r_goes »

Sorry to bother, but would anyone be willing to tell me the exact step-by-step to compile this thing?

I'm not a programmer, but would love to have access to my old Mac stuff on my iPad Pro.

So I'd need full instructions and a hand-held walkthrough.

Thank you so much!
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

I wrote a guide https://blog.gingerbeardman.com/2021/04 ... i-for-ios/

But really it assumes a lot of prior knowledge about using Xcode, tools, code etc. You could get a friendly neighborhood developer to build it initially your device, it would take an hour of their time.

Even then, you'll still encounter the thorny issue of entitlements: which means the app will need to be reinstalled at some point.

Apple don't make it easy for people to use apps from outside of the store. Maybe that will change at some point?

A more detailed guide, suitable for somebody completely new to this, would be a heck of a lot of work.
r_goes
Space Cadet

Post by r_goes »

Thank you for pointing out the link to the guide. I'm trying to compile it, but I'm getting an error at "/Users/rafael/Downloads/macemu-ios 2/BasiliskII/src/uae_cpu/clang:1:1: no such file or directory: '2/BasiliskII/src/iOS'" and I don't know what to do about it.
r_goes
Space Cadet

Post by r_goes »

Managed to compile it, don't know how but I feel very proud of myself for being able to follow a cake recipe :smile: :smile: :smile:
One question I have, is there any way to activate the virtual keyboard, or does it depend on a hardware keyboard at all times?
riccolesmana
Space Cadet

Post by riccolesmana »

I'm using iPad Mini 6 to work around the screen resolution, by tweaking the B2ScreenView but ended up blurry. I wonder how do you manage to double the pixel to match the Retina display?
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

r_goes wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:27 pm One question I have, is there any way to activate the virtual keyboard, or does it depend on a hardware keyboard at all times?
3 finger swipe up/down to show/hide software keyboard.
riccolesmana wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:04 am I'm using iPad Mini 6 to work around the screen resolution, by tweaking the B2ScreenView but ended up blurry. I wonder how do you manage to double the pixel to match the Retina display?
The iPad Pro is an almost perfect match for integer upscaling. You can add custom resolutions for any size iPad but exact settings will vary based on the resolution of the device. With other iPads you'll get close to native screen size with integer scaling, but the emulated Mac resolution will be very odd and may eventually be too small or large for practical use.

See: Adding chunky screen resolutions & Disabling graphics smoothing
https://blog.gingerbeardman.com/2021/04 ... i-for-ios/
apt
Space Cadet

Post by apt »

Is there a prebuilt ipa that can be used to install via something like AltStore?
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

No, not currently.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

.ipa files for loading through AltStore have now been added: https://github.com/zydeco/minivmac4ios/ ... 1146811944

They won't have any of the modifications detailed in my blog post that I added for better display on iPad.
gingerbeardman
Tinkerer

Post by gingerbeardman »

There's a separate macOS version that implements a kind of Parallels Unity feature where classic Macintosh windows live amongst modern macOS windows.

But I agree, the UI is good on the iOS app. The closest you can get right now on macOS is BasiliskII GUI config app.
Halcyon
Student Driver

Post by Halcyon »

I'm not certain when this started happening, but after ~1.5 years of happily running Basilisk II on my iPad it is now crashing if I use the command+w keyboard shortcut. I think it may align with when I upgraded to iOS 16.

Is anyone else running into this?